News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

To all game server maintainers

Started by Ashley, August 17, 2013, 08:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

I've switched the game listings server to a new host. This means it's lost its previous list of servers. You should restart (or force a full announce) for each of your servers to ensure the details are updated correctly on the new server. Simutrans only sends the game version and pakset version when a server is first started.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

jamespetts

Hmm - I am not having any luck in getting the new server to work: the Bridgewater-Brunel server went down overnight. When I brought it back online, it was still not listed in the Experimental server listings. I tried (twice) a manual announce command from Nettool, but without success. Are there any other changes that need to be made?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ashley

May just be that you're still seeing the old server in DNS. New server is mapped using a CNAME record to simlist-experimental.herokuapp.com - try doing a "dig http://servers.experimental.simutrans.org" on your server and see what it reports back.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

jamespetts

I get this:

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-P1 <<>> http://servers.experimental.simutrans.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 28460
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;http://servers.experimental.simutrans.org. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
simutrans.org.          3600    IN      SOA     ns1.mesquiteserver.com. isaac.eiland.hall.gmail.com. 2013081104 86400 7200 3600000 86400

;; Query time: 193 msec
;; SERVER: 46.32.224.29#53(46.32.224.29)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 17 12:49:13 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 141

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ashley

You should get something more like:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> servers.experimental.simutrans.org
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32658
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;servers.experimental.simutrans.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
servers.experimental.simutrans.org. 2871 IN CNAME simlist-experimental.herokuapp.com.
simlist-experimental.herokuapp.com. 60 IN A     107.21.237.25

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
herokuapp.com.          900     IN      NS      ns-1378.awsdns-44.org.
herokuapp.com.          900     IN      NS      ns-1624.awsdns-11.co.uk.
herokuapp.com.          900     IN      NS      ns-505.awsdns-63.com.
herokuapp.com.          900     IN      NS      ns-662.awsdns-18.net.

;; Query time: 164 msec
;; SERVER: 81.187.132.49#53(81.187.132.49)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 17 13:03:46 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 250

Should be "dig servers.experimental.simutrans.org", without the http, sorry.

jamespetts

Ahh - in that case, I get:

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-P1 <<>> servers.experimental.simutrans.org
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31902
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;servers.experimental.simutrans.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
servers.experimental.simutrans.org. 14400 IN CNAME simlist-experimental.herokuapp.com.
simlist-experimental.herokuapp.com. 60 IN A     184.73.160.229

;; Query time: 219 msec
;; SERVER: 46.32.224.29#53(46.32.224.29)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 17 14:13:58 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116

Ashley

Well, that's correct. Not sure why it isn't working for you then. Any errors in the Simutrans log with debug turned up? You're definitely doing the dig command from the server where Simutrans is running?

jamespetts

Yes, definitely doing the "dig" command from the server on which Simutrans-Experimental is running.

Ahh, wait, I think that I know what the problem is. Some considerable time ago now, I could not get the DNS resolution to work in the announce server part of the code for reasons which I have never been able to establish, so I changed the code in simversion.h as follows (old parts commented out):

/* Server to announce status to */
//#define ANNOUNCE_SERVER "servers.experimental.simutrans.org:80"
// Temporary workaround for DNS problem
#define ANNOUNCE_SERVER "82.113.155.83:80"

The 82.113.155.83:80 is the part that I am guessing is no longer applicable. Unless and until I can find a way of resolving the basic problem (I spent hours and hours on it before with no success, and do not remember now what I tried, so this would probably require assistance from somebody who understands networking code), I shall need to update the IP address. Should it be to  46.32.224.29:50 or 184.73.212.128:80?

Ashley

AFAIK the IP addresses assigned to processes running on heroku aren't guaranteed to stay the same, which is why it's set up with a CNAME to a DNS record that they control. I think either getting DNS resolution to work or hosting the experimental listing server somewhere with a fixed IP address would be the only options.

Fifty

So am I correct in understanding that I need to restart my servers so they list? They appear on the site, but are not classified by pakset and are therefore completely unaccessable from inside the game, even with "Show mismatched" unless you put in the web address. I've tried forcing an announce through nettool to no avail...
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Ashley

Restarting them should fix that, I think the game only sends the version and pakset info with the initial announce message.

It's just because this listing server wasn't online when the existing games were started up - so it never saw that initial message.

Fifty

Ok, thanks, I just can't get to my server right now or restart it remotely.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?