News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Thumbnails for load/save dialog.

Started by Yona-TYT, August 20, 2013, 05:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

are those little things that make a game look great

@Max-Max, hope this  him an big idea ....... Greetings!

Fabio

load/save thumbnail? a good idea.
saving procedure should take and save in an easily retrievable way a game screenshot.

Max-Max

It is a great feature but I don't see this as a theme/gui class related proposal.
I'm focused on themes and this also leads to some gui implementation in the sense of a new gui class hierarchy.

I think your proposal will fall under extension requests and I think I have seen this as an todo or accepted request somewhere (I can't find it now though)...
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Fabio

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Max-Max on August 20, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
I think your proposal will fall under extension requests and I think I have seen this as an todo or accepted request somewhere (I can't find it now though)...

is fine @Max Max :thumbsup:

remember that these features are of simutrans experimental and the Iron Bite
what I mean is that this would be great in standard simutrans 8)

Ters

Quote from: Fabio on August 20, 2013, 08:11:38 AM
load/save thumbnail? a good idea.
saving procedure should take and save in an easily retrievable way a game screenshot.

This wasn't about save games, was it? Seems to be about pak sets, and it's certainly easier to make a recognizable thumbnail for them. Especially if most save games are just different saves of the same map.

Fabio

well both would benefit from thumbnail...

pak selection images should be provided by pakset authors, whereas saves images could be captured and stored in the save before saving.

Ters

Automatically creating a recognizable screenshot for a map might be difficult. The user might have to take it manually in order to get something useful. Just using the minimap shouldn't be too difficult, if it helps.

kierongreen

Previews of saved games are possible based on the heightmap. Screenshots on the pak selection screen also possible - but I wouldn't want to directly copy Ironbite as someone might accuse us of using their code...

isidoro

Isn't Ironbite free software?  Free software is, by its definition, to be copied...

Ters

Legally, yes, but this is complicated and emotion based.

greenling

Hello All
The Devloper from Those projekt can you only reach over the German Simutrans forum.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Ters on August 20, 2013, 05:34:56 PM
Just using the minimap shouldn't be too difficult, if it helps.
Every time you save a world, a png file is generated "from" the minimap with cities and ways, if it's not too much resource-consuming.

kierongreen

Many other games also include a screenshot of the worldview taken at time of saving as well.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: greenling on August 21, 2013, 03:24:57 PM
Hello All
The Devloper from Those projekt can you only reach over the German Simutrans forum.

has long since "Hajo" is not active around here

prissi

Yes, but as said, legally and morally are two entirely different pieces of cake. Also such screenshots needs to be added also to closed source paksets ...

Preview games is very easily possible; but this will again require to parse a quite large files at the beginning. Thus opening a folder and parsing 100 existing games may easily take hours when doing it for the first time or the savegame version is updated. Or one has to show a placeholder for the older savegames.

Yona-TYT

A button like this in every savegame

the player will have the option to show or hide the properties of the game ;)

IgorEliezer

Yeah, a thumbnail from the spot where you're hovering the cursor when you save the game. Pretty clever.