News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

London-to-Brighton over 60 Years

Started by Spacethingy, August 28, 2013, 09:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacethingy

Looks like the BBC had the same idea as our Carl...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23853863

Nice bit of comparison, the lines look practically the same, apart from the foliage as the article says.
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

So it's not only in Scandinavia we put cameras on trains. Our recordings do however contain stops. The Swedes do however replay the recordings on fast forward (and with an unknown destination), while us Norwegians like to watch it in real-time, even live. I don't think we have multiple recordings of the same line, though. (The Swedes might.)

prissi

In Berlin S-Bahn rides in real time were aired during the nights before 24h television set on.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on August 28, 2013, 07:40:50 PM
In Berlin S-Bahn rides in real time were aired during the nights before 24h television set on.

In Norway, we did it during prime time after 24h television set on, although on the broadcaster's secondary channel with glimpses between programs on the primary channel.

kierongreen

Noticed this earlier - had seen the 1953 and 1983 versions a few times before so was nice to get the comparison with all three eras.

jamespetts

This is indeed very interesting. One interesting aspect is how much more had changed between 1953 and 1983 than between 1983 and now.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

It seems that the number of passengers was at the lowest in 1983, but the article says nothing of whether the circumstances were the same in all three years.

kierongreen

Overall number of passengers on this line would indeed have been lowest in 1983. Although 2013 was filmed on a Sunday so the number of passengers and services that day may have been lower than the other eras.

This line is one of the busiest in Britain - the article says that in 2013 they had to run a special non-stop train on a Sunday as this was the only time they could fit it in amongst timetabled services. Timetabled non-stop trains use up too much headway on this busy line to be practical now hence all services stop at one or more intermediate stations.

Ters

I assume there are real-time versions of these videos. Otherwise, they really didn't need a special non-stop train.

jamespetts

No, I don't think that there are real time videos - they were intended to be run speeded up like this if my memory serves me correctly.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Then why all the hassle with scheduling a non-stop train? It sounds like it would be easier to just edit out the stops and adjust the speed non-linearly afterwards. The three parts don't match up exactly anyway.

kierongreen

I'm not sure it would have been possible to edit stops out non-linearly and give a smooth end result when the 1953 and 1983 versions were produced. For 2013 this would have been possible but scheduling a train specially may have still given a better result.

Carl

Here's a real-time Blackfriars to Brighton cab ride video, which is more or less the same after East Croydon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0zVZppHkc

Ters

Quote from: kierongreen on August 30, 2013, 07:27:46 AM
I'm not sure it would have been possible to edit stops out non-linearly and give a smooth end result when the 1953 and 1983 versions were produced. For 2013 this would have been possible but scheduling a train specially may have still given a better result.

I was thinking of the 2013 video, since it apparently was the one where it was most difficult getting a non-stop train.

Looks like they forgot to film the driver in 1983. It could be interesting to see how their uniforms and working environment changed as well.