News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Maglev/monorail Remove tool bug

Started by emaxectranspoorte, January 15, 2009, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

When I try to delete a single station tile (either on elevated, ground and/or underground), it deletes the whole 12 station tile long station (including the maglev/monorail line underneath, if they are placed consecutively),  instead of deleting just one station tile (except if any of the those tiles, that don't delete with the whole station, are adjacent of any other tile of another station exactly near). :-\

prissi

Sorry, please could you tell me step by step, what you did?

DirrrtyDirk

Again: when you just want to delete a single tile, it's best to use the general remove tool.

@prissi:

He did this:
Build some track (or narrowgauge, maglev, etc.) with a station. When you use the waytype-specific remove tool, from some point on the track to any tile of the station, the whole station (plus track) is removed, instead of only the part you selected. But this has been like that for so long, that I thought it's intended behaviour rather than a bug...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on January 15, 2009, 03:24:56 PM
Again: when you just want to delete a single tile, it's best to use the general remove tool.
No, it isn't when you've got a supplied factory (grain mill) underneath. :o :)
Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on January 15, 2009, 03:24:56 PM

@prissi:

... that I thought it's intended behaviour rather than a bug...

Me too at first, but I am not really sure. :-\

prissi

Why? YOu cannot remove factories with you tool.

emaxectranspoorte

I'm supposed to remove the station tile and monorail/maglev track and not the supplied factory underneath. :)

DirrrtyDirk

What prissi was trying to tell you is: if you haven't switched over to public player, you shouldn't be able to delete a factory with the remove tool at all. (And as far as I can tell, this is actually still true.)

And once again: if you want to do anything on something elevated, don't just click but hold your CTRL-key and then click (just as I told you earlier).

You're probably making up a problem where there is none, only a user error of some kind. (And BTW this is yet another bug report of yours with no version information whatsoever  ::)).

emaxectranspoorte

Thank you prissi and DirrrtyDirk for your kind help. :)

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on January 16, 2009, 12:28:37 AM
What prissi was trying to tell you is: if you haven't switched over to public player, you shouldn't be able to delete a factory with the remove tool at all. (And as far as I can tell, this is actually still true.)
Yes true, but only after the newer versions of Simutrans, mainly 99.** afterwards (I played firstly 99.17 pak64). :)
And once again: if you want to do anything on something elevated, don't just click but hold your CTRL-key and then click (just as I told you earlier).
Yes it works for the normal remove tool, which leaves (see below)... :)
You're probably making up a problem where there is none
... that I thought it's intended behaviour
So what you are saying is that's the intended behaviour of the monorail and maglev remove tools (I've tried it with your Ctrl help suggestion, as well).
, only a user error of some kind.
(And BTW this is yet another bug report of yours with no version information whatsoever  ::)).   But this has been like that for so long
My error has been with the Ctrl key for the normal remove tool, and not for the normal monorail and maglev remove tools. Like you said earlier, "But this has been like that for so long" so I don't really need to place a version number, so it's after 99.** pak64, pak 128, 100.** (with their respective packs), 101.**  (with their respective packs) and so on, right? :-\

I haven't forgotten to place the version number this time ;) Dirk. :) If it is, that is what you meant to say by "But this has been like that for so long". :-\

DirrrtyDirk

All bug reports should always have version numbers, just so that people can easily use the same version to verify and reproduce the problem. So you should at least give the versions in which you encountered the problem you are describing (regardless if there are more versions affected) every time.

Also, not everything that works different than you expect is necessarily a program bug. (Possibly but not necessarily.) So you should make sure you really understand how tools are supposed to work (like with the CTRL thing, and factories) before you decide to make up a bug report.

So much for the general part.

Now...

Let's make it clear: the behaviour we're talking about is not limited to maglev and monorail - it happens just the same on normal railroad tracks and also on narrowgauge track. These waytype-specific remove tools are meant to delete complete stretches of way (from point A to point B - among any stations in its way). For the removal of single tiles, the general remove tool is your "weapon of choice". It cannot remove any factories by accident (can only be done by public player), and it can be aimed at either the normal ground level (click) or something above that level (CTRL+click). That should cover pretty much all situations fairly well...

So what feature exactly is missing in your opinion? What do you want to do that can't be done with the tools we have right now (used correctly)? Only when you can tell us that, we can do something about it, can we?