News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[11.9] Foot passenger oddity

Started by Carl, August 31, 2013, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

A small oddity here, and unfortunately one for which I am unable to share a save. But let me describe it anyway.

Imagine 3 stations. A has a foot connection to B, and B has as train route to C.

Last night I observed the station detail of A showing "29 passengers > via C". This of course shouldn't be possible, since A has no direct connection to C. Presumably what the passengers were trying to do is walk to B and then be routed to C.

However, this issue doesn't survive a save/load cycle. On loading this save, the 29 passengers are still at station A, but now they have decided to take a direct train route from A, via a fourth station, D.

I imagine this will be a little difficult to track down on this basis alone, the the trouble seems to be as follows: sometimes foot passengers are not making their "walking journey" as they should.

jamespetts

Hmm, yes, difficult to track down if it cannot be reproduced in a saved game. If anyone can describe conditions in which this can reliably be reproduced, I shall see what I can do about it. Thank you for the report, however!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

I've just observed this again in a different location, and again it doesn't survive a load-save sequence. However, the fact that I've seen it again so soon suggests that an established passenger network with foot connections will exhibit the problem eventually. It will require one to know what to look for, however: namely, passengers showing as going via somewhere that should not be reachable in one hop from their current stop.

Junna

I've had passengers appear at goods-only stations trying to walk places but then seeming to be stuck in the goods station waiting for a service that never comes. They seem to not disappear until re-loading. Is this the same issue?

jamespetts

Junna - I am not sure whether this is the same issue or not. Hmm - it is really very difficult to track down a problem unless there is a known set of steps that leads to this problem being reproduced.

Can anyone produce a saved game in which, on loading, after a known amount of time elapses, this problem will occur in a certain location?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Carl

Ok, here goes.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/earlsfield.sve

The station to watch here is Earlsfield. You can often see passengers popping up here wanting to go via District Line stations -- most commonly Notting Hill Gate and Earl's Court. I assume they intend to travel by foot to Wimbledon Park first. How long they take to appear will vary, however, due to the randomness of passenger generation. Once I did see them disappear from Earlsfield, but I'm not sure if they moved to a District Line station or merely recalculated their route. At any rate, I saw other groups of passengers which remained at Earlsfield for some time with the Notting Hill Gate destination.

jamespetts

Thank you for that - that is helpful. I saw a batch of passengers heading for Matlock via Notting Hill Gate appear after a while; they shortly afterwards rerouted to go via Vauxhall instead and left on the next up slow train.

May I ask - has anyone ever seen this issue occur with transferring passengers (those alighting from convoys), or only in passengers generated at the station in question? I have only seen passengers generated at the station in question in Earlsfield, but that is because it does not appear to be an interchange station. It would help me to narrow the problem down to know whether anyone has observed this with interchanging passengers or not.

waerth

Spotted it in 11.8 which I am playing in. Just build a new busline in Yeringport. And then this happened. Passengers for xyz via Yeringport Brink .... which they cannot even reach on foot :p

I made a savegame as well, you want me to upload it? It will be a rather large file. And you need to patch for 4gb memory.

jamespetts

A saved game would be helpful - I can use the 64-bit version, so there is no need for me to patch for memory.

waerth

Here is the saved game. My game version is 11.8.

In my game at the end of the month the pax disappeared by themselves.

Anyway now you have a game with an insane map and a reasonable network so you can also use it to test new versions :)

46.4.228.234/~walter/Simutrans/www2000smallcitiesgame2.sve

W

Carl

I've observed a stranger version of this now on the same map: passengers at Wimbledon Park routing "via Stockwell". The oddity is that no stop within foot range of Wimbledon Park has a direct service to Stockwell. (However, perhaps they are planning to take two or more foot hops before getting on a convoy? They could perhaps walk to Haydons Park, and then again to Colliers Wood, to get on a Stockwell train).