News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[Suggestion] "Force Recalculation" Button

Started by Carl, September 08, 2013, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Do you think it would be possible to have a clickable GUI button which forces the game to perform the full routing/journey times/etc calculation which would normally happen at the end of each month, but on demand? If one runs long months, and makes large changes to the network, then it can be some time before the changes are reflected in passenger routing. I understand that some calculations happen every in-game hour now, but I am under the impression that the full calculation is still reserved for month-ends. This would also allow for the early eradication of anomalies that one would normally have to wait to "iron out".

Morelook

Refresh is already triggered on-demand whenever there are changes to the transport network.

Refresh is also triggered at month-end, so that changes to journey times and waiting times are reflected, even if there has been no further change to the transport network.

Maybe James can add an option to trigger refresh once the previous one has just completed. After all, path explorer should not take up too much processing time per frame, thus it should not matter even if refresh is repeatedly triggered.

jamespetts

As noted, the calculations are refreshed whenever there are actual changes to the network. The only reason to have more frequent periodic calculations would be to deal with changes that accumulate over time (waiting times, for instance, or point to point journey times). Are there issues that are being noted that are specifically linked to the frequency with which these calculations are refreshed?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

Thanks both for your replies. It seems I was somewhat confused about when refreshes happen (I had no idea, for instance, that a full recalculation is undertaken whenever there are changes in the network). It seems that most anomalies, then, will be down to a lack of data for journey times and waiting times, and one cannot simply click a button to summon more data -- this must be gathered over time. I'll take another look to see whether the waiting/journey times data is updating sufficiently often.

pwhk

In fact, as convoy travelling time is also accumulating. When you edit/shorten/lengthen a route (quite common in reality), or reassign a convoy with another route, the travelling time is no longer right.

As a result, apparently a short route could take hours to complete.

I am not sure if editing routes causes travelling time to recalculate though. However, a button to clear the figure would be useful if you have just made drastic changes to the route and become unsure of travelling time of the route - at least you are not going to change headway due to inaccurate travelling time

jamespetts

pwhk - do you mean that the point to point journey time statistics from which the optimum paths are generated by the path explorer are not updated when the route changes?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

pwhk

No, I mean the travelling time shown when you click on a convoy

jamespetts

Do you mean the round trip time? This is not itself used to calculate routes.

pwhk

Yes, the round trip time.

For me, it is used to calculate headway for the route (manually).