News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[11.11] Performance

Started by Carl, September 29, 2013, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

The performance deterioration between 11.9 and 11.10 doesn't seem to have been resolved in 11.11. In my UK map I can fast-forward at 14-16x in 11.9, but only 4-5x in 11.11.

(In some maps the difference manifests itself not in raw fast-forward speed, but rather in consistency -- i.e. the speed will be much less consistent in 11.11 and will regularly "jerk" from high speed to low speed and back.)

The 64-bit version, by the way, still asks for dlls that aren't provided in the download folder.

jamespetts

As to the performance - that is interesting. I tested it with the Bridgewater-Brunel saved game, and the performance was not materially different overall from 10.9. It is not entirely clear to me what might have caused the difference in performance in some circumstances but not others. Have you checked whether the reductions in performance coincide with the engagement of the path finder?

As to the issue with 64-bit .dlls, which .dlls are requested that are not available on your system?

Edit: Further investigation reveals that the path finder is called many times over a short while after first loading the latest version of your game  that I have because many of the waypoints are incorrectly marked as to whether they are reversing or not, and every time that a change is made to whether a stop is reversing or not, the path explorer needs to be refreshed. Once these have all shaken themselves out, the speed returns to a much higher level.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

64-bit version still crash for me with the old error (0000something007b) when provided with pthreadVC2.dll (which is missing in download).

Carl

Aha -- thanks for that James, I guess I just hadn't run the game for long enough. I'll run it for longer and see if I notice any difference then.

How long did it take for it to iron out, in in-game hours, for you?

jamespetts

Hmm - I didn't time it, but, running at 40x, perhaps about 2-3 minutes in real time.

Junna - are you sure that you have the 64-bit version of pthreadVC2.dll?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on September 29, 2013, 10:34:51 PM
Hmm - I didn't time it, but, running at 40x, perhaps about 2-3 minutes in real time.

Junna - are you sure that you have the 64-bit version of pthreadVC2.dll?

I am certainly not sure. I searched for any download of it - not sure where to get it, as I don't have it natively. Where do I get the right version?

jamespetts

Hmm. I'll include it in the .zip file with the next minor release.