News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Bridge Standings, apparently, are build directly on the roads

Started by pwhk, September 28, 2013, 05:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwhk

I am not sure if this is pakset issue or program issue. This does not happen on my Standard + pak64.

Bridge Standings, apparently, are build directly on the roads, blocking the roads. However, the road beneath it is still passable and vehicles will pass through the bridges...

Sarlock

It's just what happens with any bridge graphic that has supports under it.  It happens with the highway bridge in pak64 as well, just not the earlier ones because they don't have supports underneath them.
It would require checking what was under the bridge before drawing a support and I suspect that it's not an easy thing to accomplish programming-wise.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

Sarlock is right - this is not specific to Pak128.Britain-Ex, or to Simutrans-Experimental. I shall move this to the extension requests board, as this would require a substantial new feature.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Very complex this. Some bridges have pillars integrated into the structure so would look strange with some missing.

Ters

I think this is related the other problem of buildings and trees passing through bridges, just horizontally instead of vertically. The solution must in some way be that bridges actually take up space. Pillars must in some way mark the underlying terrain as in some way occupied. Depending on the type of pillar, either the entire tile is occupied or the tile becomes "unconnected" from its neighbor on the other side of the pillar. If a way already connects the two tiles when the bridge is attempted built, the bridge building operation must fail.

This does however make bridge building more complicated, and to actually be able to build a bridge with these contraints. If one can't remove the existing obstacles to the pillars, one would have to use pillarless bridge. These bridges would have limited spans, and also likely be more expensive. A long bridge would therefore have to be made up of several distinct bridge types, something that isn't currently possible, but ties into the request of being able to build bridges tile by tile just like tunnels.

pwhk

I wonder if, in this case, have bridges be drawn like this

http://goo.gl/maps/ZqAo7 (If anyone wonder, this is Tsing Fung Street Flyover in Hong Kong)

Sarlock

Some elevated (and bridges) ways are drawn using that style so that they straddle the road beneath.  Others have their main supports right in the middle and would sit in the middle of a road underneath (graphically, it is still functional as a roadway).

It's really a pakset designer decision.  It seems you are using pak.Britain, in which case use the elevated ways that have separated supports to build your bridges over roads.

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

An_dz

You can use remove tool to destroy the pillar too. I do it whenever this glitch shows.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on September 30, 2013, 01:40:57 AM
You can use remove tool to destroy the pillar too. I do it whenever this glitch shows.

That can easily lead to another "glitch".

Fabio

and the bridge dat file should be able to specify if certain pillars are or are not removable (e.g. arch bridges).