News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Placing bridges at the start and end of tunnels (around / in tunnel exits)

Started by emaxectranspoorte, January 18, 2009, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

Placing bridges at the start and end of tunnels (exits). I have seen it done before, in my humble opinion, in real life (but never actually seen it where I live now).

It can also be used for when you don't have enough space to place things (for example tunnels joining two tunnel entrances/exits when very near sea level, while letting ships to pass underneath the bridge). In my humble opinion one solution would be the ability for trains to enter into a tunnel through a vertical face - not just necessarily through a sloping tile. This could improve on how this might work (with the bridges, as well, and/or maybe not with the bridges). In my own humble opinion...

What about it? Would this be possible? :-\

EDIT: Also maybe for roads and maglevs, etc...

emaxectranspoorte

No.

Please make the tunnel a little lower. :)

EDIT: Also try to make it a bit like there is not much space to place a bridge, for example.

The Hood

If the tunnel was lower it would be at sea level and therefore flooded in the game!!!  I'm not sure what you are asking for in game terms - maybe you could post a screenshot of the land layout you mean?

emaxectranspoorte

Yes, but I was talking about over the water and not underwater. :)

z9999

It's the surface of the sea.

[attachment deleted by admin]

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: z9999 on January 18, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
It's the surface of the sea.

Thank you all for you help. :)

Thanks z9999. :)
??? How, may I ask, did you do that, and how do you make it in pak128? :-\

emaxectranspoorte

I know, thanks for reminding me, gauthier. :)

It should be over the water to let ships pass through, shouldn't it? ... starting at the tunnel entrance... :)

Casteele

I'm still not understanding what the OP wants..

A tunnel entrance/exit at sea level, then a bridge that rises above sea level to allow ships under?

emaxectranspoorte

Yes, all on one level. :)

emaxectranspoorte

Casteele

OK :)  The first tile under the bridge needs to be a land tile with a pathway (if I delete the bridge, that tile reverts to the pathway, road or rail, accordingly). What you want to do is enable the game to build a pathway one tile into water, so you can start a bridge (without all the ugliness that raising land/creating artificial slopes causes).

I think that would be very nice to have.. allowing bridges at the waters edge to start rising _into_ the water instead of forcing a slope before the water. But I cannot see it being added: Tiles at sea level are always water, while land is one level above sea level. The only time you'll have the situation of building a bridge at the waters edge then, is when you have a tunnel at the edge, because you'll _always_ have a slope at the edge, never a flat land tile. :(

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: Casteele on January 18, 2009, 05:43:22 PM
I think that would be very nice to have..
Thank you for you understanding, Casteele. :)
But I cannot see it being added...
Ahh... :( thanks, anyway. I guess this is all that can be done, then. :-\

EDIT:
... a flat land tile...
Or a slope or a flat sea tile... :)

Casteele

Not necessarily.. I cannot see the ability being added to the game engine itself.. but I might be able to figure out a work-around based on an idea from another post: If we could temporarily lower the sea level, build the pathway/bridge, then raise the sea level back up, the game engine should happily draw it correctly. Of course, I am assuming a lot about how the game engine operates.. if it just draws the tiles and graphics according to what the map says is there, without any checking for sea level, etc, it can be done.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: Casteele on January 18, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
... If we could temporarily lower the sea level, build the pathway/bridge, then raise the sea level back up, the game engine should happily draw it correctly. Of course, I am assuming a lot about how the game engine operates.. if it just draws the tiles and graphics according to what the map says is there, without any checking for sea level, etc, it can be done.

Ok, with some tools added in the tools menu, I pressume. :-\

You mean like raising and lowering sea and/or land level like in my http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1103.0 extension request. :) Is it possible?... :-\

AP

I think the idea of being able to exist a tunnel through a sheer/vertical face has merit, though. Can think of several in-game cases where this would have been very useful in constrained locations. It would enable a bridge to be built crossing the line immediately outside the tunnel - which I've wanted to do several times. The sloped tunnel-exit tile takes up space!

Don't know whether it runs contrary to the way the game is programmed though.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: AP on January 18, 2009, 06:31:34 PM
I think the idea of being able to exist a tunnel through a sheer/vertical face has merit, though. Can think of several in-game cases where this would have been very useful in constrained locations. It would enable a bridge to be built crossing the line immediately outside the tunnel - which I've wanted to do several times. The sloped tunnel-exit tile takes up space!

Don't know whether it runs contrary to the way the game is programmed though.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

Thanks for your support, AP. :)

Casteele

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 18, 2009, 06:14:26 PM
Ok, with some tools added in the tools menu, I pressume. :-\

You mean like raising and lowering sea and/or land level like in my http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1103.0 extension request. :) Is it possible?... :-\
That was the post I was thinking about. ;)

I do not know about adding a tool the the game menus.. although it would be nice! I was more thinking about modifying the savegame file to set the sealevel one level lower, making your bridge, then editing the savegame again to restore the sea level. It would depend mostly on how hard the game engine would be to add sea level changes.

prissi

You can already do it. See attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

emaxectranspoorte

Thanks, again, Casteele. :)

prissi, where is the sea and/or river, underneath the bridge, if you don't mind me asking? :-\

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on January 19, 2009, 04:28:47 PM
Well, choose your favourite?

Thank you for your help, VS. :)

But what I actually meant is this... How would you place a bridge between those two? :-\ (Sorry, I would show you my real map now, but it takes a long time to load :o , if the game doesn't crash while loading first :( )

VS

I see... well, how about an thinking out of the box solution :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

emaxectranspoorte

VS

You want something that is not possible (at the moment at least) so you are given some choices how to do it otherwise...

emaxectranspoorte

??? :) Ok, why didn't you tell me that in the first place? ... :-\

EDIT: So which one would be the best to choose (for now) in your opinion? :-\

VS

Oh! I guess everyone assumed you knew.

Factors:
1) money
2) space
3) aesthetics
4) other

If the distance is great, I would go upwards and on "normal" bridge. If it is short and on high speed line, the "tunnel covered with canal" could be best. What Lodovico showed is also bugless and small...

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on January 19, 2009, 05:50:42 PM
Oh! I guess everyone assumed you knew.
Factors:
1) money
2) space
3) aesthetics
4) other
Yes, I did know something about that. :) But that's not exactly what I was reffering to VS. I was refering mostly to you other jpg posts before. BTW, could you also include some tunnels, before and after the river and/or sea bridge, if possible and/or doesn't upset in any way? :-\ So I can make a better choice (for now). :)
Quote from: VS on January 19, 2009, 05:50:42 PM
If the distance is great, I would go upwards and on "normal" bridge. If it is short and on high speed line, the "tunnel covered with canal" could be best. What Lodovico showed is also bugless and small...

Thank you for your help. :)