News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[Request]Scripted auto detouring

Started by ASV62, October 18, 2013, 04:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASV62

I'm working on a bus-based save that thousands of buses are used in mayor transit. The problem is, in junctions and roundabouts buses from different routes always congest with other routes thus causing gridlocks that goes as far as most of the buses are halted. Sometimes I just solved the problem with an ****-kicking move to 1 bus but a series of bus from that route seems a huge workload for the one who know how to let the buses go.

How about making an option in the route schedule, when the bus arrived at a certain waypoint and being stucked longer than a defined normal time, skip to another stop / waypoint to avoid further waiting?

Passengers cannot alight at desired stop can be defined as unhappy passenger too.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....

Sarlock

It's difficult to handle that much road traffic in congested areas, for sure.  The game isn't perfectly designed to model road transport: you can only have one vehicle per tile, etc.

I'd suggest making your main intersections more robust in order to handle the traffic volume.  Using under/over passes, expressways, elevated roads, etc.

Alternate wayfinding is an interesting idea, though I suspect that in most cases the next destination in the route is still through the same traffic jam.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

ӔO

traffic jams are a sure sign that either the roads or routes are not optimized for the other.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

ASV62

> Sarlock

Alternative pathfinder exists but it does not skip stops, the thing in my mind is a pathfinder that can change its target within its working schedule. Auto is fine when it can locate a clear point to go with less disturbance. Manual rules maybe useful for route planning / designing geeks

> ӔO

Full-meshed design is the best case for any kind of flows, sometimes we dunno how to do that / we don't have to do that / we cannot do that ... maybe we need some routing table assigned to simplify how hosts do their pathfinding.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....