News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

is there any one lane simutrans road.

Started by nitromefan, June 29, 2010, 07:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromefan

i find it hard to do offramps when there is no one lane road so I'm asking u guys if there is any of it out there?

grampybear

I believe the answer is no, however you can create the same effect by
placing two roads side by side and careful use of one way signs

gauthier

There's no such roads but I don't really understand what you want to do with them. ???

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I understand what he wants.

The question for nitromefan is: Are you using two roads for your highways, or only one? If only one, you're going to have traffic issues anyway...

But either way, the answer is to set up do-not-enter signs where needed - at each "ramp" end to prevent traffic from entering; as well as on divided highways to make sure random cars don't go the wrong way.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I can make a screenshot...

AP

If doing two parallel roads for "highways", be aware of course that vehicles in Simutrans do not overtake - the "dual carriageway" look achieved thus is purely cosmetic.

jonasbb

Vehicle can overtake under certain conditions.
And these conditions are more often with two ways, because there is no oncoming traffic.

AP

Quote from: jonasbb on June 29, 2010, 05:57:03 PMVehicle can overtake under certain conditions.

They can? How long has that been in effect? I've never, ever, seen vehicles overtake!

DirrrtyDirk

Quite a long time actually... altough I only remember seeing it happen once, when I specifically tested the feauture with a special nightly. But I haven't played simutrans much since then, and I never bothered watching road traffic either...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Several months, at least.

I see it often when I play, because I tend to build freeways that have long stretches of straight one-way roads...

A vehicle stuck behind a slow vehicle will pass if there is sufficient space to overtake before oncoming traffic or an intersection (and I believe curves, too). So you need long straight roads with little oncoming traffic.

Also, if multiple vehicles are stacked - the second will not pass until the first one that passed is clear of the passing space, so it is not quite realistic, but it works better than nothing, for sure; and really, it's not too bad at all. :) It helps.

nitromefan

What I'm trying to say about the ramps is that the highway is 2 lanes each way and for the on ramps and off ramps they are 2 lanes as well which doesn't really look good because it looks like there is another highway coming off it instead of it looking like an off ramp.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I use different road types for this purpose. Here's an example:

http://files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/files/get/2gGZlW0m1D/simscr00.bmp

The problem with painting a one-lane road is that traffic still drives on the side, not in the middle; thus, it requires at least two separate roads, and remembering which one to use on the north/east and west/south sides.

Anyone can paint such a thing if they want, but nobody who wants such a thing who can paint it has.

nitromefan

Thanks for that. It sort of gave me an idea of what to do with ramps. But you say that the cars still drive to a side if you paint a one lane road. Well cant you sorta make it like railway so there's like one track but instead of making it a track make it a road so then cars can use it both ways but its one lane. I think this should fix the problem that the cars stay to their side.

Ive been think and i thought that what looks like a one lane road could be made by having no lines. I have one but it is only 50km/h so could anyone make a road like that and ill have a link to a photo below to show what i mean.

www.simutranspics.t83.net/#/picture-1/4542058629

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please note that on this forum, you have the ability to modify your existing messages. When your message is the last one in a thread, and it's been less than 24 hours (in your case, it had been 14.5 hours), we ask that you modify your last message instead of posting a new one. It's called "double-posting"; and I've merged your two posts.

As far as painting a road with no stripes, that's certainly possible. I might use cobblestone road in lieu of anything new, since I think something like it exists in nearly all paks.

As far as your request for someone to make something, I won't comment. It's unlikely that someone will, since if anyone with the knowledge wanted to, they already could have. But it's certainly possible someone may.

If nobody does, I recommend checking out the wiki for some help in making it for yourself, if you choose to do so. It's not hugely difficult to make something for Simutrans, though there is a small learning curve. :)

nitromefan

LolL u think my mum will let me do that. (I'm only just turned 10 u know.)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please note that nitromefan has been changed to a "Lounger"; therefore, any followups for them from this thread should be directed there.

For more information, see here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5620.0

If this post is a double-post, it is intentional.

Please continue the thread. If you have any questions about this post, please start a new topic in the Help Requests board.

seki029

I wish there would also be, for example, a 3-lane; 5-lane or a 7-lane avenues for cities where vehicles don't just stay on the outermost lane but fill up the whole lane.

isidoro

This is an old wish, but it is technically difficult to program.