News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Drag and eliminate

Started by Yona-TYT, October 27, 2013, 06:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

I would like to eliminate dragging the cursor, this makes things more facieles do not you think?
If we can be done with the seasons, that do not with "removal tool"?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Yona-TYT on October 27, 2013, 06:21:52 PM
I would like to eliminate dragging the cursor, this makes things more facieles do not you think?
Did you mean "I would like to eliminate by dragging the cursor"?

Not that I wanted to fix your language. Just to make sure that you want to eliminate game elements by dragging, not to eliminate the dragging itself. ^^

Yona-TYT

Excuse me, is that my English is bad :o

and if that is what I attempted to say :thumbsup:

Markohs

I thought on that some times while playing, whould be useful indeed. But it's not so easy to implement.

Yona-TYT

"remove" I use this very often
that is why posed the idea :thumbsup:

Fabio

Why not so easy to implement?
Wouldn't it be enough to loop the action for all tiles in the selected range?
Undeletable  objects should just be ignored.

Yona-TYT

Someone who want to work on this ¿? ???

Markohs

English:
Translating this to spanish too since I know Yona is not so fluent in english. I tell him to translate his answer too. :)

Well, the problem is not so much of a technical level but about the game mechanics that have to be solved and decided. Once our games get such a tool they will expect it to be useful and work in a certain way, and we have to keep support for it. So it's important to implement it in a way that's useful and meant to stay in the game.

Firs it's the issue of wich is the area to be removed or bulldozed, are we suposed to get from the dragging a rectangular area to be removed? Or are we just getting a straight line of tiles (like we do now when dragging a road/train. How do we mark visually so the user is aware of wich area is affected, we just mark with a red hoiver color? Yellow?

The other issue is that, given each tile can potentially have lots of objects, right now the tool just first deletes pedestrians wicth each iteration, later semaphores/catenary, stations, then tram, road, rail... How we are suposed to behave, we just delete *ALL* items or just one? That can render some streets without a road and some with them if they had a station, or tram, or catenary. Do we remove buildings too? This things have to be discussed before implementing it. Techincally it's not hard, all the tools are already at place.

Spanish:

Traduzco esto al castellano ya que sé que no tienes mucha fluidez con el inglés, de todas formas si me contestas, hazlo en inglés también. :)

El problema no es tanto técnico como delicado en tanto afecta a las mecánicas del juego, hay ciertos detalles que de deberían decidir antes de implementar esto. Es importante puesto que una vez implementemos esto y los jugadores lo usen, esperarán que sea útil y que funcione de cierta forma, y debemos mantenerlo funcionando en todas las futuras versiones del juego.

El primer problema es decidir cual es el área a eliminar, ¿se supone que obtendríamos una área rectangular arrastrando el ratón o una línea de casillas como cuando construimos una vía férrea? ¿Como marcamos visualmente la zona de forma que el jugador sepa que casillas van a ser afectadas? ¿Lo marcamos con un color? ¿Cual? ¿Rojo, amarillo?

El otro problema es que dado que en cada casilla puede haber un montón de objetos, ahora mismo la herramienta de eliminación primero elimina los peatones, después semáforos, catenária, línea de tranvía, carretera, estaciones... Que hacemos, eliminamos *TODOS* los objetos? Solo uno? Eso podría tener el efecto de borrados parciales en ciertos sítios, ¿Nos cargamos los edifícios también?  Todos estos detalles hay que decidirlos antes de implementar este asunto. Técnicamente no es difícil, todas las herramientas ya están el el código.

Yona-TYT

@Markohs, Gracias por su respuesta
Mi idea es conseguir el mismo efecto que se ve cuando plantamos árboles y mantenemos el clik presionado, a medida que movemos el crsor se van formando ma y mas arboles.

Echele un vistaso y vera a lo que me refiero ;)

@Markohs, Thanks for your reply
My idea is to get the same effect you see when you plant trees and maintain the clik pressed, as we move the ma crsor are formed and more trees.

Just take a vistaso and see what I mean ;)

Markohs

english:
You see, it's not so easy, I don't like it that way. ;) We have to find what's the best solution before implementing it.

spanish:
No me gusta esa solución a mí, ves. :) Hay que llegar a un consenso antes, a ver si se anima mas gente a opinar.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Markohs on October 29, 2013, 12:17:30 PM
english:
You see, it's not so easy, I don't like it that way. ;) We have to find what's the best solution before implementing it.

spanish:
No me gusta esa solución a mí, ves. :) Hay que llegar a un consenso antes, a ver si se anima mas gente a opinar.

Es - Me parece razonable, de verdad me gustaría que mas personas dieran su opinión a ver que tal... :P

En - Sounds reasonable, I'd really like more people to give their opinion to see that such... :P

prissi

You can easily remove all way related stuff dragging with the way removal tools. Thus the only thing this woudl achieve is mass deletion of buildings, fields or tree. The only use is probably for the latter, as mass deletion of city buildigns will have you bankrupt in no time.

Yona-TYT

For that happening the player will have to press and hold the click and move around the map.... I suppose the player is going be aware of this

Sarlock

It's a complicated question as to how a tool like this would behave.  As mentioned, the bulldoze tool has a list of items that it will sequentially bulldoze: pedestrians, city cars, catenaries, roads/ways, signals, buildings, etc...

Prissi noted the one place where I have wished this tool did exist and that was for removing large sections of trees and buildings (as public player).  Removing them individually requires a lot of mouse clicking.

Bulldozing as you move the cursor around is probably dangerous - you could easily remove a lot of things you didn't intend to.  Dragging a highlighted bulldoze box which then deletes upon releasing the mouse is probably safer.  Even safer would be making this available only by holding CTRL.  I'd make it behave in the same manner as the regular bulldoze tool: it deletes the top item from the list for each tile covered.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

greenling

Hello Sarlock
That it a point form the bulldoze tool there very often make bad misttake.
Must i use the bulldoze tool than do i sometime zoom in a game that i can view what i want remove.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Yona-TYT

Quote from: greenling on October 31, 2013, 06:26:52 PM
Hello Sarlock
That it a point form the bulldoze tool there very often make bad misttake.
Must i use the bulldoze tool than do i sometime zoom in a game that i can view what i want remove.

EN...Same here, the player knows what to delete.

When more than one object in a tile was best to remove one by one and maybe precionar Ctrl to remove all ;)

ES...lo mismo digo, el jugador sabe lo que va a eliminar.
Cuando hay más de un objeto en una baldosa lo mejor seria eliminar uno por uno y tal vez precionar Ctrl para eliminar todos de forma rapida ;)

benjad

In an online game too, a troll could do massive damage to a game if able to delete so much so quickly. 

Have option to limit to public service player only?

Yona-TYT

How about it highlight objects before deleting it

What if we mark an object we do not want to delete? ...returns to touch it With The cursor and This Will then uncheck

All this without releasing the click ;)