News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Rivers development

Started by Fabio, January 19, 2009, 06:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I had a deeper look now. Most of the stuff imho belongs to waybuilder, it reülicates stuff already there. Here the version I indend to submit. (Number of rivers is now the square root of the number of towns). Again to clarify: THis is mostly your code cleaned up and made a little faster. Still some issues to fix are left.

VS

Two side comments, not directly related to the patch itself:

• Intercity roads have hard times ;) In 128 are water crossings, so it works, but what about other paks?
  • Cities do not build bridges, so sometimes they are cut in half...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Quote from: VS on January 26, 2009, 04:02:28 PM

• Cities do not build bridges, so sometimes they are cut in half...

Could the cities build bridges? (with a patch) It would make sense. Most of RL cities grow along a river...

Quote from: VS on January 26, 2009, 04:02:28 PM

• Intercity roads have hard times ;) In 128 are water crossings, so it works, but what about other paks?

Could intercity roads build bridges? IIRC, once upon a time, the waybuilder used to build bridges automatically. this would be great at least for starting intercity connections.

The Hood

I agree with Fabio - it seems daft that cities can't even build bridges over railways so they can't expand beyond the very thing bringing them economic prosperity!

Fabio

Quote from: The Hood on January 26, 2009, 04:58:21 PM
I agree with Fabio - it seems daft that cities can't even build bridges over railways so they can't expand beyond the very thing bringing them economic prosperity!

this is off topic: when i build a new railways line, i also provide a few bridges for the city to grow. Also in RL, a bridge over a railway can't be built without a previous agreement with the transport company. Totally different the issue with bridges: cities SHOULD (if not too hard to code) grow across rivers, and rivers are public, so the cities don't have to ask for permission  ;)

jamespetts

About bridges - when rivers are represented as canals, the "bridge" is just a graphic for a level crossing, so, to the game, it is not building bridges - it is building level crossings. It would be good if it were possible to have a separate cost for these quasi-bridges, and to make them more expensive than level crossings for roads.

As to Prissi's calculation of the number of rivers - ought this not be set as one of the options in the "New World" dialogue, rather than being fixed as the square root of the number of towns?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

gerw

Quote from: prissi on January 26, 2009, 03:15:19 PM
I had a deeper look now. Most of the stuff imho belongs to waybuilder, it reülicates stuff already there. Here the version I indend to submit. (Number of rivers is now the square root of the number of towns). Again to clarify: THis is mostly your code cleaned up and made a little faster. Still some issues to fix are left.
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I doubled some of the stuff from wegbauer (unconsciously). But with your changes it is not possible to merge rivers and let them have a bigger river delta or something like that.

prissi

It is possible, all depending on start end endpoint. A wider delta would be possible too. Also would be later contruction like with the waytool be possible ...

And intercity bridges are possible, since those roads belong to the public player. The only problem was, that with bridges the way search is much much slower.

VS

So a better solution is just to provide canal/road crossings for pak64.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Quote from: jamespetts on January 26, 2009, 05:11:45 PM
About bridges - when rivers are represented as canals, the "bridge" is just a graphic for a level crossing, so, to the game, it is not building bridges - it is building level crossings. It would be good if it were possible to have a separate cost for these quasi-bridges, and to make them more expensive than level crossings for roads.

As to Prissi's calculation of the number of rivers - ought this not be set as one of the options in the "New World" dialogue, rather than being fixed as the square root of the number of towns?

I support this idea.
And IMHO the MAX length of a river should be set to half of the shortest side of a map (e.g. 512*512 -> 256)

Quote from: prissi on January 26, 2009, 05:24:23 PM
And intercity bridges are possible, since those roads belong to the public player. The only problem was, that with bridges the way search is much much slower.

Well, if the new world routines are only cast at the beginning of the game, a long map generation wouldn't have effect on the normal gameplay...

gerw

Quote from: fabio on January 26, 2009, 07:22:50 PM
And IMHO the MAX length of a river should be set to half of the shortest side of a map (e.g. 512*512 -> 256)
I think so, too. Long rivers become looking ugly.

jamespetts

I am not so sure about long rivers - there are many places in the world (most notably, the Amazon) in which rivers start near one coast, but go the "wrong" way, and end up crossing much of the country to find their way to the other coast. Perhaps the maximum length could be adjustable?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

I would ask to focus first on the task of rivers per se. That there is an UI needed comes without question.

gerw

@prissi: Your routine will fail to create rivers on a map with mountain height 320 and roughness 6. This is caused by the fact, that the route of the river must have already the right shape.

With my code this is not necessary, since the river forms the landscape. But I think, this can also be done by wegbauer, if we include all my magic loops ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

vilvoh

OMG!...that picture looks awesome!!! this patch has become as popular as the overtaking fun patch..

P.S: count with me if you finally need graphics for waterfalls and springs...would be a pleasure to take part on this.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

Ohh, I think that rivers are even better than overtaking ;-)

sojo

Can be at the beginning of the river a sea or a smaller part river?

PS. This looks very very nice.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

wernieman

I make a special run with prissis patch .... I whant to see if it compile correct

somebody interessted to test?

Ore should I wait the next patch?
I hope you understand my English

sojo

wernieman

gerw

Quote from: wernieman on January 27, 2009, 08:07:21 AM
Ore should I wait the next patch?
If you can wait until evening, I will post a new version of prissis patch.

I think further, I will couple the number of rivers with the map size until we have a UI input for this.

sojo

Quote from: wernieman on January 27, 2009, 08:44:05 AM
What do you pay ....  8)
Here. You can have a lot of simuthanian Credits.

vilvoh

wernieman

Look at http://patches.simutrans-germany.com/

But it is only "Prissis-Patch". If I should run an other Version ... cry

Importend:
I don´t testet it!

Edit:
But it is only the Program! So you need a full simutrans + PAK to run it

vilvoh

Does Windows versions also include the patch?

wernieman

Jep .. I only forget to write it ....
every 4 Versions have the patch

vilvoh

Thanks for the info, and for the compilations too.... ;D

sojo

I have it tried with pak96.comic. Very very nice.

One question: Can the rivers at the lowest level be bigger. Mayby 2 tiles or 3 tiles?

IgorEliezer

I think river width should be in function of river length. The more long the river is, the more wider it will be. Not in function of altitude.

sojo

A long river have the same width like a short river.

But i think it should easy to say, if a river on level 1 or 0 ( I dont' know the levels) then it is 2 tiles width.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: sojo on January 27, 2009, 02:09:27 PM
A long river have the same width like a short river.

Nothing is born big ;) .

Fabio

Rivers for PAK 128 are READY!!!

what do you think?

KrazyJay

Looks great! Will there be a tool to change/modify those rivers?
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Fabio

ATM they are only a new channel named river.
It's up to the DEVs to handle them. once i have a few more feedback, i'll post the sources...

jamespetts

That looks very good! Do you have any screenshots of roads and railways crossing the rivers?