News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

missing ferry in pak britain nightly builds?

Started by richardk, December 08, 2013, 03:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardk

I'm running the pak128.britain r1338 nightly build and I get a 'sealink MV "horsa" ferry mail hold' in jan 72 but there's no sign of the ferry itself!
There is a big lack of mail ships, after the turbine steamers go out of service there's nothing to replace them. Some mail holds appear but none of the ships.
Any idea what the problem is? or how to fix it?

This problem has been around for a while so it isn't specific to this particular nightly version.

Thanks
Richard

andthorn

Quote from: richardk on December 08, 2013, 03:27:57 PM
Any idea what the problem is? or how to fix it?

This problem has been around for a while so it isn't specific to this particular nightly version.

A bad copy/paste in the Makefile deletes all of the 192 pixel boats.

DIRS192 :=
DIRS192 += boats/boats192
DIRS192 := #REMOVE THIS LINE
DIRS192 += air/air192

There is also a failure to copy the *.txt files (street and city names) in the text directory.

#change
@cp -p text/*.tab $(PAKDIR)/text
#to
@cp -p text/*.* $(PAKDIR)/text

Oddly the bug was fixed 8 months ago in experimental here https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain/commit/65eaabadc74b33e129af2ee1c1f44e6a24b66437, but not elsewhere.

See also http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11497.msg113142#msg113142 and http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6482.msg98506#msg98506

sdog

"Oddly the bug was fixed 8 months ago in experimental here [...]"

Easily explained, experimental is on git, neroden just offers his changes to james to pull them. The Makefile is made for it experimental first, then adopted for standard. Which the Hood has to upload to the svn. As standard is usually upstream from experimental, he has to be made aware of such changes, that have to be ported back into standard.

The Hood

This is what happens when the pak maintainer doesn't understand how to write makefiles properly :s - thanks for the fix (I had noticed the bug ages ago but no idea what the problem was). If someone else could make the change though, that would be great as I'm in the middle of moving house...

Dwachs

Hopefully fixed with r1376. Can someone confirm that it is working now? Could not test.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

andthorn

Quote from: Dwachs on December 12, 2013, 09:04:35 AM
Hopefully fixed with r1376. Can someone confirm that it is working now? Could not test.

Yes, it works. However there are also a few more files including the demo game which should be copied:

#ADD after: @cp -p compat.tab $(PAKDIR)
@cp -p demo.sve $(PAKDIR)
@cp -p licence.txt $(PAKDIR)
@cp -p readme.txt $(PAKDIR)

The Hood

This should be fixed now - please let me know if not.

richardk

Thanks for that, It's all working now  :) and I'm seeing a great selection of ships.
sorry for the delay in replying, I've had some problems with notifications but it's fixed now.

I'm not sure if this is related, but the last mail coach retires in 2000 and nothing replaces it. Is this intentional or are some things missing in rail too ?
also, the last livestock rail truck retires in 1973.

Thanks again

Richard

jamespetts

The trouble is that, in the UK, mail stopped being transported by train in 2003, and one of the reasons for that stoppage was the cost of replacing the rolling stock which was by then very old (1950s design).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

One can argue that parcels with containers are still mail. Hence in pak64, there are is container mail car.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on January 22, 2014, 12:01:02 AM
The trouble is that, in the UK, mail stopped being transported by train in 2003, and one of the reasons for that stoppage was the cost of replacing the rolling stock which was by then very old (1950s design).

I believe in Sweden the 1950 and 60's parcels wagons (four wheel stock!) are still in regular use on mail trains (albeit I think most of them were renovated at some point, probably in the 70's or 80's). There are newer wagons as well, but they are often used together (though they do not have the same speed limit, 130 and 160 km/h, respectively).

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

Mail trains stopped in 2003, and promptly restarted the following year as it was the most efficient way for 2nd class mail. The Class 325 EMUs are used currently.

jamespetts

kierongreen

Yes as far as I know. Could do with increasing the retire dates - they are set at 2020 at the moment (which when I created the pak in 2006 seemed quite a way away...)

jamespetts

Isn't it best just not to have a retirement date for things that are still being built or have no replacements?

kierongreen