News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Railway weights

Started by Matthew, December 26, 2013, 01:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I am struggling to get to grips with weight management in SE-11.x.

I am using the 11.13 binary but with all other files from 11.14, with latest Pak--128-Britain-Experimental 0.9. I am running 625 mpt and 18 bits (although I can't see why this would affect a weight problem).

I understand that the key data for weight is now axle loads, not the datum labelled as "weight". The axle load for any given vehicle (loco/carriage/wagon) must not exceed the datum given as "max. axle load" for the way that you wish to use.

However, this seems to mean that it is impossible to run trains during the 19th century!

In 1850 and 1860, the strongest railway available is wrought iron, offered in 9t, 10t, 13t and 14t varieties. But all the available locos and carriages are shown as too heavy (see screenshot). Yet the locos all have an axle weight <14t.

Is it possible that the programme is comparing apples and oranges: the axle load of the railway and the "weight" of the locos?? Are they too heavy because the "weight" datum is in the ~26t-32t range?

Or more likely, am I doing something else wrong?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Jando

As a wild guess I'd say you've built the depot on a old piece of track, thus no new engine can leave the depot cause the track in the depot cannot support the axle weight.

jamespetts

The "too heavy" indication in the depot, as Jando says, is shown when the vehicle is too heavy for the way on which the depot is built. There are different sorts of tracks available in the 19th century, with different weights, and heavier tracks, which can take higher axle loads, become available as that century progresses. Make sure to upgrade your network (including the track on which the depot is built) if you want to be able to handle higher weights. (I should also note that, if your depot cannot handle any locomotives at all, it is probably built on some very elderly track indeed and should be upgraded promptly).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Thank you for your answers. However, I obviously did a bad job of explaining the problem. All my tests have been with games started in 1850/1860 with brand new tracks and depots, so it can't be "an old piece of track". This is the best track available.

Steps to reproduce:
(a) Begin a game in 1850 or 1860
(b) Build the strongest railway track available
(c) Construct a depot
All the available locos are "too heavy".

There is a save available at https://app.box.com/s/qrhoi3kigl6z0mp86qev with a short demonstration track.

Some possible explanations:
(a) I have committed some error in my procedure.
(b) An error in the timeline data means heavier track is not becoming available at this date.
(c) An error in the weight code means that is it not reading the correct data or incorrectly comparing the track and loco axle loads.
Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For reference, here are the available ways and their axle loads in 1860:
Wrought iron (50lb) ---- bears axle load 9t
Wrought iron (60lb) ---- bears axle load 10t
Wrought iron (75lb) ---- bears axle load 13t
Wrought iron (82lb) ---- bears axle load 14t
Here are all the available locos:
LNWR Sharp Goods Goods  ---- axle load 8t
LNWR DX Goods ---- axle load 9t
LNWR Side Tank ----- axle load 7t
LBSCR  Craven ---- axle load 6t
SDR 1001 ---- axle load 10t
Midland 1  ---- axle load 12t
LNWR Bloomer - axle load 12t
LNWR Lady of the lake ----axle load 12t

All of the locos should run because loco axle load < track axle load bearing. But all of them are shown as "too heavy" in the depot (and if purchased, will show as "No route").
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

Jando

Odd, for a test I just started a new map in 1860, getting the same tracks you get, but the locos are useable for me.

jamespetts

I have tried the same as Jando and also cannot reproduce this - can you retry this with a clean map?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Matthew

Clean maps didn't solve it, but then I thought to a clean simuconf.tab and that fixed it. So the mistake was mine - apologies for wasting your time trying to fix a problem that didn't exist.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. What had you altered in simuconf.tab?