News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[11.13] Numerous crashes after... anything

Started by Teokryt, December 26, 2013, 07:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teokryt

Hi! Is my first post on STEX forum. I play experimental (x64) version because adds new experiance of creating transportation network.
But i have problem with crashes.  Previous games were good, without crashes, but nowe, after 1990 year, game crash every anything I do (or not)
Creating tram rails - game crash.
Deleting any object - game crash.
Adding stop to route - game crash.
Do nothing - game crash (background).

Sometimes game not crash, but playing with save after every action is insane.
I can send save with problem.

x86 version not work (missing DLLs)

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your interest in Simutrans-Experimental. I have moved your post, as it was on the wrong subforum - I should be very grateful if you could post bug reports in the "Simutrans-Experimental Development" subforum.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with Simutrans-Experimental. May I ask - is the problem that you are having specific to that saved game, or are you having the problems that you describe with any game? If the problems are confined to that one saved game, please do upload it so that I can investigate (although it might be a week or two before I am able to do so, as I am currently on holiday and do not have access to my normal development environment).

If the problems that you are having are present with any game, not just that specific saved game, then it might be worthwhile investigating the .dll situation further. Have you downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of the 2012 and 2010 MSVS re-distributable packages?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Teokryt

Thaks for reply. So... Is a problem with a specific save, but... only on large transportation network after 1990 year (before, crashes are rare).
I tested on PAK64 and PAK128. Is not PAK-SET depend.

My save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51291600/other/e64-62.9.sve (my style of play Simutrans is not optimal ;) )
Map was expanded few times but expanding not affect crash.

I want play Simutrans-Ex after 1990 year without crashes.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for the clarification and for the saved game. I will have to test that when I get back home, which, as I noted above, will not be for a week or two. Thank you for your report - that is most helpful.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Thank you for uploading that. May I ask - what version of the pakset were you using for that?

Teokryt

Latest Pak64 for Simutrans Standard (pak64-Exp not load)

jamespetts

Thank you. I am currently on holiday and not able to access my normal development environment, but will look into this when I get home. I should also add that bugs causing corrupt saved games (if this is what this is, rather than a bug causing a crash on loading) are very difficult to fix because what is needed to reproduce the bug itself is not the bad save (things have gone wrong already by that point), but a loadable save that will, in certain known conditions, produce a corrupt save, so that I can see what the programme is doing as it creates the bad save. Do you have a clean save that will produce a corrupt save in defined conditions?

Teokryt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51291600/other/SimutransCorruptionSaves.zip

This zip contain two serial games.

I Numbering every game in that system:
e - experimental
64 - pak-version
-
62 - continous number of game I started
x - save version (I do it before enlarge map or other "serious" change)

e64-62.x - first serial, report in first post of this topic.
e64.67.x - second serial, crash after 1 June 1913.

If you have questions, how I do something - ask. I can reproduce my way of play. Bugs aren't corrdinate depended.

jamespetts

Thank you very much. I will investigate this when I get back home.

Teokryt

I did some tests.
Crashes are related to... map.
I get  high risk of crash when I enlarge a map. When I didn't resize map crashes are very  rare (only  few  in whole 160 game years, and not appear after save load).
When I enlarged map few times, risk of constant crashes (every save load) arise.
Other thing is city growth.
I think, that city growth is reason generating a crash. Why? When city is placed near map edge and do "grow" cycle, simulator may be place roads or buildings out of map and do crash. Aswell, flora grow cycle can generate crash but I never tested it.
This idea I get from my observation of simulation (without doing an routes, only watching built-in city simulator).

What do you think about this? I'm not a programmer, so it is only end-user observation.

jamespetts

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but thank you very much for testing: it will give me useful things for which to look when I get back home and am able to do some bug fixing work. That is most helpful!

Teokryt

When you back home?

By the way, I Cant install MSVS version 2010 or 2011 because I have 2012 version. x64 work but x86 - don't.

jamespetts

I am not sure yet exactly when I am going home - within the next week or two, certainly.

QuoteBy the way, I Cant install MSVS version 2010 or 2011 because I have 2012 version. x64 work but x86 - don't.

There may be some misunderstanding here - there is no need to install MSVS itself, only the redistributable packages. I am not aware of any reason not to be able to install both 2010 and 2012 versions (the is no 2011 version; the MSVS software cycle is biannual). However, if you are able to get the x64 bit version of Simutrans-Experimental working, then there is probably no need to worry about getting the x86 version working, too.

Teokryt

There is no any  differences between x86 and x64? Only libraries from MSVS?

jamespetts

The only differences between the x86 and the x64 version of Experimental on Windows (aside from the required libraries) are: (1) the x64 version cannot run on a 32-bit version of Windows; and (2) the x86 version sometimes runs out of memory on extremely large maps with a very large number of game objects (convoys, buildings, etc.).

On Linux, there is the added caveat that the x86 version is not stable on 64-bit operating systems.

It was at one time thought that the x64 version would perform more poorly than the x86 version, but that does not seem to be borne out by use experience, at least not to any noticeable degree. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, therefore, and can get the x64 version of Simutrans-Experimental to work, you need not worry about getting the x86 version to work.

jamespetts

I think that I have now found and fixed these crashes on the 11.x branch in Github - there appear to have been two separate bugs, one related to map enlargement and the other relating to trams using elevated rail sections. These fixes should be incorporated into the next minor release.

Teokryt

QuoteThese fixes should be incorporated into the next minor release.
good news!
Now I waiting for next release, it bring me back to play Simutrans.