News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Could we have buses that have >100 capacity

Started by pwhk, October 01, 2013, 11:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwhk

Just as a curiosity.

For really large cities like Hong Kong, Enviro 500s, which capacity up to 137, just appears everywhere, and many of them are fully loaded, overcrowded and sometimes, so overloaded that passengers could literally lean on the front door (like 140-150 passengers in the bus).

Though I am not sure if this would apply to Simutrans world, considering building density. Can passengers in Simutrans world overcrowd every E500s even if the route's headway is down to 5 mins? hm...

(p.s. even Enviro 400s, present in current pakset, are frequently overloaded in Hong Kong, having more than 100 passengers  :o )

jamespetts

I don't think that these buses are used in the UK, are they? If they are specific to Hong Kong, they would not be suitable for Pak128.Britian.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Lmallet

Quote from: jamespetts on October 01, 2013, 01:56:42 PM
I don't think that these buses are used in the UK, are they? If they are specific to Hong Kong, they would not be suitable for Pak128.Britian.
Wikipedia says First Glasgow has 25.

Jando

Don't know about Britain, but here in Germany we certainly have buses that can take more than 100 passengers.

More than 150 passengers even after a bit of searching, for example this Volvo bus with a capacity of 154: http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/germany/de-de/products_services/buses/City%20buses/volvo_7900_articulated_hybrid/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Spacethingy

Googling Enviro 500 on the .uk site finds this image:

"SN" is the Edinburgh area, as Lmallet says. Never new Britain had monsters like that!
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

dave62

That's a Glasgow bus. It's a service 75 running from Milton to Castlemilk via Glasgow City Centre.

greenling

Hello Spacethingy
That it a nice bus.Those bus it in moment in uk very rare in use.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

kierongreen

You wouldn't be allowed to have a bus that overcrowded in the uk. Regarding the Enviro 500 in the UK this has 82 seats (+27 standing) giving 109 total. Over this and you would be breaking the law.

jamespetts

Gosh, that's enormous. If it's used in the UK, then it is a candidate for inclusion; we could do with quite a few new 'buses, actually: the trouble is finding the time to add them. 'Buses (and road vehicles generally) have an added complication in that there is currently no automatic rendering alignment for them as there is for other types of vehicle and all types of building, making it take orders of magnitude longer to produce each graphic, as they have to be aligned manually. One day, hopefully I or someone else will get around to setting up a version of the rendering script to align for road vehicles (or alternatively some standard offsets for vehicles aligned normally), and then it will be much easier to produce 'buses, as the graphics for them are relatively simple (except, perhaps, with modern liveries, which have all sorts of weird patterns, as in the 'bus pictured above).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ed

Hi,

A company in Glasgow, UK has a 100 Seater Double Decker in operation. Ive been on the vehicle and it also also a further 12 standing.

www.doigs.com

Cheers

Ed

FS1819

LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Interesting. It seems to have been used for tours rather than scheduled services, though.

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on December 19, 2013, 09:45:59 PM
Interesting. It seems to have been used for tours rather than scheduled services, though.
http://chinamotorbus.com/bus/jumbo/retire/Britain_LM.php
These 11m Leyland Olympians were in service with First from 2000 to 2010.

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/el7976/Recent
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=15264
This 12m Leyland Olympian is/was in scheduled services, with proof from the driver himself.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Ahh, I see - interesting! As indicated earlier, new 'buses are likely to be slow in coming owing to the absence of automatic alignment for 'bus graphics.

FS1819

Isn't it faster to render the bus, then copy and paste it onto a template?

p.s. I found another double decker that never left the UK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin65/10024832806/

edit: I am in the process of modelling a Super Metrobus, but Sketchup isn't that intuitive in mirroring half-models.

LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

No, it's much faster to do the alignments automatically in Blender, as is done with all non-road type vehicles: aligning each of 8 images manually is exceptionally time-consuming.

As to modelling, is there a reason that you are using Sketchup rather than Blender, given that you will have to use Blender in the end to render the images?

FS1819

I can't find proper tutorials for modelling buses in Blender. It takes just 10-15 minutes to cut the bus around its edges and paste it onto a template.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

The best thing to do with Blender graphics is to open one of the existing .blends for the 'buses already in the game, see how that was made, and modify that. The rendering settings are then easily pre-set, and there is no need to import something into Blender later.

FS1819

I have finally finished my first Blender graphics. I am not sure if you would allow it to be in pak128.Britain though.
The render presets were done to mimic pak128.Britain.

Back to the buses, they are ADL "new generation" E500 prototypes. The latter two of them have since entered service in Hong Kong.
The silver one though is still with ADL in the UK. In late 2012, an E500MMC was sent to Edinburgh for evaluation by Lothian.

You have previously allowed types that had never entered service in the UK to be included.
Citaro K only arrived in the UK in late 2012, but it has long existed in pak128.Britain.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

kierongreen

If they had prototypical, legal capacities in use in the UK then there's no reason they shouldn't be in the pakset. As I indicated above, the Enviro 500 in the UK this has 82 seats (+27 standing) giving 109 total capacity.

The Hood

Looking good. Could you just check the scales (28m per tile, x1.25 exaggeration width and height), and also the window colour for pak128.Britain is #000000 (pure black).