News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Very early rail depots

Started by jamespetts, January 07, 2014, 04:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have been working on differentiating the depot graphics for the different traction type depots in Experimental (see this Github commit). In that work are two things that might be of use to Standard: standard and narrow gauge rail depots based on the coaching stable, intended for the very early, horse drawn years. In Standard, there are currently the "old" and "modern" rail depots, but the "old" rail depot looks decidedly 19th century and out of place for the early waggonways of the 18th century.

Below are the graphics for the horse based depots, which are simply the existing (road) coaching stables with some tram track across the courtyard:

Standard gauge

Narrow gauge
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

A welcome addition!  If the depots are in for a minor retro-fit, ought we have some sort of placard or signboard in Player Color, so we can tell the company depots apart?

jamespetts

Hmm - player colour is not easy to add. In the depot, it would be required, I imagine, at the apex of the entrance arch, yet working out how to put what is supposed to be a plaque in perspective is far from an easy task. (This cannot be done in Blender, as the lighting algorithm will prevent the player colours from being exact in the render).

If you would like to have a go, it would certainly be welcome! All of the new depots are on my Github repository.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Sarlock

You can render the sign (position, perspective, etc) in Blender and then manually add the player colours to the sign after rendering is complete.  Presumably the sign would be on the wall or building and would follow the standard 2 across, 1 pixel up formation.  This would have the benefit of adding player colours to the depot - but have the downside of adding a non-rendered component to the building which may appear strange.

You could consider colouring the door with player colour.  pak128.Britain already utilizes brightly coloured doors in its graphics so it would look like it belongs a bit more.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

The door thing is an interesting idea, but that would only work with the later depots that have brightly coloured doors.

The work that I have already done did not involve any re-rendering, so adding player colours by re-rendering would require all the work to be done again from the beginning, which is not something for which I have time at the present.

wlindley

Quote from: jamespetts on January 07, 2014, 09:39:02 PM
If you would like to have a go, it would certainly be welcome! All of the new depots are on my Github repository.

Like this, perhaps?

Revised coach and railway stables with-and-without snow, as png's and as xcf's with reusable signboard overlay layer in this zip file

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, that is rather splendid! Those signs are nicely done.

Edit: I have applied these to the narrow gauge depot, and also experimentally to the early diesel 'bus depot.

jamespetts

I have now extended this principle to all depots in this commit, albeit most depots needed a reduced size version of the sign.

Thank you for that work!

greenling

Hello All
Those Very early rqail depots looks very great out.
:thumbsup:
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Good idea with the colour signs. Now in standard.