News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Now that's how you unload cargo...

Started by Spacethingy, January 21, 2014, 11:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacethingy

We don't want any of that namby-pamby docking nonsense here! Saves time I guess, not one for the seasick though...

Seaspan Harvester - Deck cargo pontoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDsY9hFHhY
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

IgorEliezer

What's the problem? The cargo will float...

EDIT: argh.... morning writing.

Sarlock

Pretty ingenious design.  Makes sorting the logs after a bit of a mess, however, as you end up with a lot of logs that are fully underwater and need to be pulled apart, but it sure saves a lot of time during the unloading process.  The vast majority of the timber we process here in B.C. is still brought to the mill via tug boat and barge/log boom.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

Putting timber in water? How antiquated...

(An online newspaper I frequent has that video on it's front page (well, the frontpage just has a single frame), but I never watch "newspaper television". Now I know that I guessed correctly what was happening.)

gauthier

A such idea should be adapted to underground and suburban trains  :o

Sarlock

A lot of the logging that occurs on Vancouver Island and up the coast is in areas that are inaccessible by rail or road, so all of the logs are taken down to the water and brought to the mills via log booms.  Check out this map link and then move your way to the south and east up the Fraser River and you will be amazed at how many log booms are situated on the shores of the river.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=49.242833,-123.242283&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=15
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

Quote from: gauthier on January 21, 2014, 10:18:47 PM
A such idea should be adapted to underground and suburban trains  :o

For trains, it would perhaps be even better to use the method already in use for trains. Bulk trains that is. Just turn the train upside-down in a big cradle. Although there is an alternative system, new in Norways but likely copied from someplace else, where just the top of each car is tilted all the way over to one side as the train drives through some odd looking structure of overhead curved rails. That way the train doesn't have to stop.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So Norway is implementing the Simutrans<–>Roller Coast Tycoon crossover, eh? Nice. :D

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 23, 2014, 12:14:00 AM
So Norway is implementing the Simutrans<–>Roller Coast Tycoon crossover, eh? Nice. :D

(Un)fortunately, one must be at least 200 million years old and no more than 5 cm tall to ride.