News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Version Info in PAKs

Started by wernieman, January 22, 2009, 06:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernieman

in this Thread http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1307.15
whe speak about a version info in the PAKs.

In simutrans (code) you have at the start the version info. At the nightly you have the revision. But in the PAKs there ar no version info. So when you get simutrans and PAKs, unzip then and delete the zips, you know the simutrans-version, but NOT the PAK-Version.

Is there a way to put a version info in the PAKs?

It would be good for the bug-messages and could be good for the network-mode ......
I hope you understand my English

prissi

I was considering putting an

obj=misc
name=version
copyright=revision120

into the pak. However, I am not sure how to do this automatically.

wernieman

But ... where it i shown in the programm?

Ore must the User "look" in the PAK?

prissi

The user does not need to know; but it could be also shown on the starting splash screen.

VS

That seems quite good idea.

Generating files consistently across platforms is a pain, as I can attest... Shades have a few generated files (svn info and build date/time) and getting that to work was no small feat :( Using some scripting language and letting it overwrite a prepared "null" file could work. Default could be something like "version not entered"

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Hmm - the way that it currently works is that each individual type of object has its own version number, which is incremented independently whenever features of that object are changed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

JP - no, that is object of type "misc", which is a general type for any kind of thing related to program rather than game object (goods symbols in stop window), with abused parameter "copyright" for a textual value.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Quote from: VS on January 22, 2009, 11:33:15 PM
JP - no, that is object of type "misc", which is a general type for any kind of thing related to program rather than game object (goods symbols in stop window), with abused parameter "copyright" for a textual value.

Yes, I realise that that is the proposed workaround - my point was simply that there is a sort of system for versioning paksets already, but it is one that works on a type by type basis, rather than for whole paksets at a time.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

VS

Format and pakset versions are quite different matters... I would not mix these two.

wernieman

But the normal user don´t look in the Version of an objekt. And the problem is to show the user the version for a bug info...

prissi

object version (usually in the range between 0 and 9) are displayed during loading. I think the discussion is about pak set revisions. Since there is a splash screen image anyway, the copyright string could be simply revision xxx which is then displayed on screen.

sojo

Perhaps it would be help every pakset have a own help-text/help-site!?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

wernieman

@prissi
it is a good Idea .... but were (in wich File) must whe put the Version-Info of the PAK?

prissi

The logo is loaded before any other paset. Thus it make sense to put it there in the copyright line (which is not shown anywhere in the game, since it is deleted from memory almost immediately afterwards). FOr pak64 it would be big-logo.dat

wernieman

But where it is shown in the game?

When the splash screen is shown, the PAK is not loading ... ore did I miss understand the simutrans-start?

And ... can I change in my PAK64-nightlys the big-logo.dat to the nightly-revision? So it will be easyer for bugreports..

(and with VS O.K. I will do the same in the PAK128)

jamespetts

If you have multiple paksets without having a default set in simuconf.tab, you will see the choose pakset menu before the splash screen. Which splash screen is displayed will then depend on which pakset is selected. Based on that observation, I'd conclude that the logos are part of the pakset loading process.

VS

Yes (for pak128), and please tell us how you do it, so we can do it, too :)

wernieman

I search .. at the moment there i no PAK-Revision-Info in the PAK64 ... and nothing is shown ...