SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Trucks for the 90s

Started by VOLVO, January 26, 2014, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO

Started with Volvo FL7

My model :

Will be mapped with texture before importing to blender.
Couple of questions,
the first one is whether the scale change will affect the trucks,
and the method of making the model into simutrans pngs?

Would be nice if anyone could offer technical help.
Thanks ;D

jamespetts

I am not sure about the final outcome of the scaling discussion as to road vehicles - that might be worth asking on the requisite thread.

As to how to export the graphics from Blender, you need to download and install this Blender plugin for rendering the vehicles. The best thing to do is to take a copy of an existing Blender road vehicle from the pakset, move the contents of layer 1 to layer 4 or higher (without changing layers 2 and 3), and import your vehicle into layer 1. Use the vehicle that you have moved to layer 4 to make sure that you are using the correct scale (although I recommend seeking to scale more accurately than that - but quite how best to do that is best considered when the scaling issue has been fully resolved), and then use the render plugin to render/export (make sure that it is set to render 8 views). Unfortunately, road vehicles are not automatically aligned with the Blender plugin at present, so it is necessary to align all 8 views manually using one of the road vehicle templates in the pakset. Once aligned, make sure that the background is the requisite teal colour, then make your .dat file (it is easier to copy and modify an existing .dat file) and all should be well.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Scales: hang fire but I think we're sticking to 30m per tile for length and exaggerated widths and heights by 25%.

As for 3D->png, what James says- blender all the way. I was planning on resolving the auto-render problem for road vehicles by working out the required offsets from a vehicle aligned centrally to a vehicle driving on a road (continental style, as the program then uses further offsets to convert to UK drive on left). I've not got round to this just yet however!

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on January 26, 2014, 09:39:57 PM
I was planning on resolving the auto-render problem for road vehicles by working out the required offsets from a vehicle aligned centrally to a vehicle driving on a road (continental style, as the program then uses further offsets to convert to UK drive on left).

This would be splendid, and would make such a difference to road vehicle production capabilities. Incidentally, the existing road vehicles are not aligned as well as they could be on diagonal roads, so this might be a good opportunity to fix that, too.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Indeed. I reckon centre-aligning in blender and a standard set of offsets ought to do the trick. I'll investigate later in the week hopefully.

jamespetts

VOLVO

I have successfully rendered! (one side only.. ??? )

How do you render all of them before making them one image?

The Hood

Have a look here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=13209.0

I've hopefully worked out a set of offsets to apply to the dat file that will correctly align centrally aligned pngs to drive_left roads.

VOLVO

It said sun not found. Still won't work even though I've added one afterwards..

The Hood

You need to start from an existing pak128.Britain blender file (with camera on layer 2 and lighting on layer 3). Just delete whatever's on layer 1 and replace with your truck. Then follow the rendering outputs with layers 1 and 3 selected. I suggest you try and reproduce output pngs from an existing file first to get what I mean.

VOLVO

Now the bulk goods one looks nice,
although will have to make different loads (cements, stone etc.)
I might as well just do the box wagon and royal mail one first

The Hood

How's this going? Any progress? Looking good so far...

VOLVO

How's the size problem actually? Models are prepared and converted to blender waiting to resize

The Hood

Scales are now agreed: 28m per tile on length (use jamespetts' ruler if it helps) with widths and heights exaggerated by a factor of 1.25.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on February 11, 2014, 05:20:52 PM
Scales are now agreed: 28m per tile on length (use jamespetts' ruler if it helps) with widths and heights exaggerated by a factor of 1.25.

Perhaps this should be put in the "contributing graphics" thread...?

VOLVO

Alight :) Shall be done very soon.

VOLVO

Size wise, what do you think?
Also there's a bit of tiny bit of the sky blue lines  surrounding the truck.. How do you guys address this actually?

P.s.The progress is getting slower as im approaching a busy month :-[

The Hood

Scale looks reasonable but hard to tell out of the game. Did you scale it using jamespetts' 30m ruler?

Check your render settings - I find I have to render against a black background and replace the black with #e7ffff in gimp. On the "world" settings in blender, go for "real sky" and ambient colour = #000000. Easiest way to get settings that work - import (append) into an existing blender file from pak128.Britain and use that.