News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

pak128.Britain in a tropical setting?

Started by BBGunn, March 11, 2014, 12:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBGunn

I love pak128.Britain.  It is my favorite pakset on Simutrans.

I also love playing Simutrans using a tropical landscape.  I love tropical areas in real life, and playing Simutrans in a tropical world is an extension of that.

Unfortunately, I cannot play pak128.Britain in a tropical landscape, and that is sad.

Now, I know that pak128.Britain is designed to emulate Great Britain, so making tropical landscape graphics for it is very, very low on the list of priorities, and that's fine with me.  I know how much hard work goes into making paksets, and I really appreciate what has already gone into pak128.Britain.   But is there a way for me to, if you will, "hack" pak128.Britain so that I could use the vehicles, tracks, stations - even some of the town buildings - in a tropical landscape like the one in the standard pak128?  Perhaps move some pak128 landscape files over to pak128.Britain, or move vehicle or way .paks over to the standard pak128?
Another beautiful day!

私が日本語の間違いをしたら、すみません。
Desculpe-me quaisquer erros portugueses.  Sou só aprendiz.

jamespetts

There is already a "tropical" climate tile, and you can get the tropical sound if you import the relevant ambient sounds from Pak64 (they might already have been added to Pak128.Britain). All that you would then need would be tropical trees, which you might be able to import from Pak128. The pakset would look very out of place, of course (and the Pak128 trees would not fit in well), but if you don't mind that, it should not be too hard in principle.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

BBGunn

Quote from: jamespetts on March 11, 2014, 12:22:51 AM
There is already a "tropical" climate tile, and you can get the tropical sound if you import the relevant ambient sounds from Pak64 (they might already have been added to Pak128.Britain). All that you would then need would be tropical trees, which you might be able to import from Pak128. The pakset would look very out of place, of course (and the Pak128 trees would not fit in well), but if you don't mind that, it should not be too hard in principle.
Thank you for the advice, jamespetts.  I'll give it a go, but... well, if you say that it would look very much out of place, then I'm probably not going to like it.  :)
Another beautiful day!

私が日本語の間違いをしたら、すみません。

AP

Perhaps we could rename the Tropical tile 'colonial'...

kierongreen

Long term I would rename climates to reflect those across Britain. Especially now that nothing limits climates to only height you could have different building styles for different areas of the country.

Sarlock

That would be wonderful: evergreen forest, deciduous forest, moors, swamp, grassland...
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

I am already in the process of doing that in Experimental: beach, dune, plains, lowlands, uplands, hill, mountain. Both beach and dune are set to zero, and plains to 1. Having a climate tile named as a forest does not quite make sense, as trees are individually simulated and not built into climate tiles.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

BBGunn

Quote from: kierongreen on March 13, 2014, 09:45:20 PM
Long term I would rename climates to reflect those across Britain. Especially now that nothing limits climates to only height you could have different building styles for different areas of the country.
Did I miss this?  Is this a new feature in the nightlies or something?  That would completely change the way I play Simutrans.  One of the few things I don't like about simutrans - other than the ability to generate maps with islands - is the fact that climates are based on height.
Another beautiful day!

私が日本語の間違いをしたら、すみません。

jamespetts

It is in the newer nightlies, yes. I do not think that it has made the release version yet, although hopefully it will soon.

ӔO

Quote from: jamespetts on March 13, 2014, 10:50:29 PM
I am already in the process of doing that in Experimental: beach, dune, plains, lowlands, uplands, hill, mountain. Both beach and dune are set to zero, and plains to 1. Having a climate tile named as a forest does not quite make sense, as trees are individually simulated and not built into climate tiles.

I would suggest wetland, bedrock and highland.

bedrock, instead of dune
highland, instead of hill
wetland, instead of plains

plains is somewhat similar to lowland.
do dunes exist in UK?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Sarlock

Distribution_of_Sand_Dunes_in_Great_Britain

Apparently!  Coastal types.

It would add a nice element to the pakset, especially with different tree/shrub types to match.

ӔO

Ah, I thought it was mostly regular beaches and rocks in the UK.

I wonder if there can't be white cliffs of Dover type walls.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Sarlock

You'd have to use ground_object for that, which isn't entirely impossible, but difficult.  I tried making some sea cliffs for pak128 and they looked pretty nice, but only I only got as far as making the straight edged parts (N/S and E/W).  With half heights now, there are so many more combinations of slopes (I can't remember how many, but it's a lot) that it would be a massive effort to draw them all (or even render them).  EDIT  I think there are 80 different combinations.

I used them in one of my SMSC entries:

jamespetts

"Plains" are not the same as lowlands - plains mean specifically here coastal plains, areas only slightly higher than sea level. We do indeed have dunes - I remember having great fun tobogganing on dunes in Wales when I was a boy.

As to the names in Pak128.Britain-Ex, I slightly misremembered the designations. The actual data from en.tab are:

temperate
Lowlands
tundra
Uplands
desert
Beach
Mediterranean
Coastal plains
rocky
Mountain
arctic
Mountain peak

Changing "Mountain" to "Highlands" and "Mountain peak" to "Mountain" might be a good idea, however, although I do wonder whether "highlands" is too close to "uplands".

kierongreen

My thoughts were wet and dry versions of lowlands and uplands, along with highlands, mountains and beaches. Wet lowland would be could include the Norfolk Broads, Somerset Levels, along with other marshes and esturies. Some industries might appear here but not settlements. Dry lowlands would be most other areas, including 'islands' in otherwise wet areas. wet uplands would include lower levels of the Pennines, Ex and Dartmoor, as well as the Welsh and Scottish hills and mountains. Dry uplands would be Chilterns, North and South Downs. Highlands and Mountains would be areas above 400 and 800m respectively.

jamespetts

Interesting. Incidentally, are there any plans to have the generation of climate tiles on map creation (as opposed to their manual placement by players later) dependant on anything other than height?

kierongreen

There have been a few patches but nothing finished yet. Incidentally thinking about it names could be Beach, Wetland, Lowland, Upland, Moorland, Highland and Mountain?

jamespetts

That could work, although are coastal plains not distinct from wetlands? The wetland/moorland categories would probably require the patch just discussed to be effective, would they not?

kierongreen

I though coastal plains would be best as generic lowlands. Patches would be necessary different climate distribution not just on height yes.

sheldon_cooper

Hello! The goalposts in the photo, is available for download? :)
Quote from: Sarlock on March 14, 2014, 05:32:09 AM
You'd have to use ground_object for that, which isn't entirely impossible, but difficult.  I tried making some sea cliffs for pak128 and they looked pretty nice, but only I only got as far as making the straight edged parts (N/S and E/W).  With half heights now, there are so many more combinations of slopes (I can't remember how many, but it's a lot) that it would be a massive effort to draw them all (or even render them).  EDIT  I think there are 80 different combinations.

I used them in one of my SMSC entries:

greenling

Hello sheldon_cooper
That what you can be view on the Photo it´s under devlopment!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!