News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Mini Metro

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, March 14, 2014, 02:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyschreck

I don´t like Version 8 and will keep playing Number 7.
With the smaller trains I have the feeling that the importance where the symbols spawn is getting more important and so luck does. You will need more tunnels too, if you´re unlucky.
Version 7 was much more relaxing, too.
My second try was this.

gauthier

This is the best I got ... How the **** are you doing to get so high scores ? XD

ojii

alpha9 is out.

See their blog

Really like the changes.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

The map is definitely nice, if nothing else :)

Partyschreck

Version 9 is much better than the last one and got me to play again a bit.

asaphxiix

indeed the newest version shows great progress.

4036 that's pretty amazing!
So far my best is 1300 in the new version.

Lmallet

@Partyschreck:  I notice that many stations have no lines, is there a strategy there?

Partyschreck

QuoteI notice that many stations have no lines, is there a strategy there?

There are a number of different reasons not to connect some stations:

1. At the end of the game, when you know that you cannot stop the finish anymore, its often better not to connect the last stations, because it takes some time until they overcrowd, especially since alpha 9 has bigger stations.

2. If a station is placed extremly bad its better only to serve the station from time to time with a single train. When you reach 2000 Points its time for such tactics.
One of my rules is never to have more than two circles in a row before a triangle appears.

3. Outer stations doesn´t produce very much passengers.

I think the developers should stop the playing method of using single trains as ambulance trains. With standard play (no ambulance trains) I can´t reach more than 2500 with Alpha9.

ojii

Quote from: Partyschreck on April 23, 2014, 08:02:47 PM
I think the developers should stop the playing method of using single trains as ambulance trains. With standard play (no ambulance trains) I can´t reach more than 2500 with Alpha9.

Agreed. I limit myself to "sensible" networks (as in, what would probably make sense IRL), so my scores tend to be low. I wish the devs would try to make it so "silly" networks/"ambulance trains" become less important/strong.

ojii

My new strategy: Portals!

dwpvdk

Finally got around to playing this game. It's really fun and challenging! #alpha11

===dwpvdk's Mini Metro Strategy===

Sets of Three - Opening:

Necessary Upgrades: Lines, Tunnels

The main three symbols are circle, triangle, and square. Circles appear the most often, while squares are almost never spawned with triangles somewhere in between the two. Despite this, the demand for these three symbols seems to the same. So, a Good Thing is to contain one "set" of these symbols on each line. Lines that contain more than one of any type are unbalanced and overcrowding will promptly occur.

Because squares appear the least often of the basic types, the first square spawned on the map will end up being the first interchange between lines as there will be a large amount of circles and triangles to be linked to a square. This is not a Bad Thing because no passengers will have destinations that require them to wait at the square and change trains. So, the square will hold the same amount of passengers as the other stops.

However, when other squares appear, it's a Good Thing to make another system based around the new square. Usually two systems will develop on each side of the river, and this is a Good Thing as well, because it makes less demand for tunnels. Lines can easily rerouted through the stops to make travel to the square from the outlying circles and triangles very easy and not dependent on the first square. This technique will often free up tunnels and lines for other uses.

Enter the "Special Symbol" - The Midgame:

Necessary Upgrades: Lines, Tunnels (but mostly focus on lines)

It isn't too long after the beginning of the game that a cross symbol spawns or one of the other symbols changes into a cross. The cross is the first featured "Special Symbol". Only one of each of these symbols spawn, and there are many: cross, star, pentagon, pie, rhombus, etc... Because only one of each of these symbols spawn, it means that changing lines is necessary. It's a Bad Thing if passengers already have to change lines to reach a symbol before a "Special Symbol" spawns for the first time.

A good quality of "Special Symbols" is that passengers do not seem to want to go to them as much as they do the circles, triangles, and squares. So, "Special Symbols" certainly do not need to be part of multiple lines because of their infrequent occurrence. They could be forgotten about completely as additions to lines near them if not for the fact that they slowly seem to increase in demand over time.

Only seven lines maximum are allowed in the game, and using short lines is costly and quickly becomes a Bad Thing. As more and more outlying circles and triangles are spawned, they must all be linked to squares and with an even ratio in the set. It is, however, impossible to make each set have its own line. It is possible and a Good Thing to make lines that link together more than one complete set. An example, following the game rules of probability of occurrence of symbols:
                                                                                      Cir---Tri---Squ---Cir---Tri
                                                                                      \      set1      /
                                                                                                      \      set2      /
The square is at the center of the line, justifying that the circles and triangles have spawned out from the square and that the square is the least possible in occurrence. There will be no travel through the complete line, taking up unnecessary space in the railcar as each of the three basic symbols are serviced in both halves of the line; all passengers will get off at the square as if it were the end of the line. This of course excludes the "Special Symbols", but these will not be such an issue if they are made easy destinations despite their steady increase in demand.

The network would be very simple if not for this increase in demand for the "Special Symbols". (Also, the other symbols grow in demand and generation, but this is not as much of an issue because of the sets strategy.) Rapid and effective transit across/ between the systems created in the game becomes necessary as more "Special Symbols" are generated. A central loop line that ties many of the lines together can come in handy (see the Red line in the image) as well as lines that don't link up sets but go across systems (see the lower half of the Green line in the image). To keep these two types of lines functioning, it may be necessary to not link up sets of circles, triangles, and squares along these lines or deliberately make them so that normal passengers won't use them; their purpose must be for longer-distance inter-system transportation.

Upgraded Outer Loops - The Endgame:

Necessary Upgrades: Double Locomotive, Extra Carriage

If most of the lines link up complete sets, and the ones that don't are used for inter-system transit, then the network is doing well. By this point, the network is comprised of two (or more) major systems that are completely self-sufficient except for the "Special Symbol" passengers. These passengers are the only ones that should be changing trains. There is no more need for tunnels, because the upper and lower parts of the network already have the necessary connections across the river toward the center of the map (Red and Green lines in the image above).

Because no more lines are available, it's time to start thinking practically. If existing lines are always just extended, then the lines will become unbalanced and overcrowded because of the sets rule. It's okay to strip out all the lines and the connect the stops in completely new ways. Even this will become ineffective after a time, and outer loops are the only viable option. Loops are a Good Thing because they maximize the effectiveness of a long line if used correctly.

As the game weeks go by, it is necessary keep upgrading the capacity of the loop lines with the double locomotive and the extra carriages (the Pink line in the image above has two locomotives, both with an extra carriage). It becomes impossible to continue linking up even ratios of sets as the circles and triangles multiply. The game boils down to a race against time in many situations to see if the trains can reach the symbols quickly or an upgrade can be applied before symbols get overcrowded.

GOOD LUCK, ALL!

...I don't know if this will help, but it's how I play.
Check it out: http://dwpco.weebly.com

jamespetts

Hmm, seems to be easier to get high scores with this latest version:

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Partyschreck

They´re creating the endless mode.