News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

UNIFYING WIKIES

Started by Fabio, October 05, 2009, 07:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanna

Dwachs: I did not mean to suggest that you or any single individual should feel compelled to translate anything, definitely not everything. I am sorry if I gave that impression.

I am myself translating (slowly) from the German originals into my native tongue (Swedish). It has crossed my mind many a time that maybe I should turn it into English instead/also, since I am already doing all the "hard work" (i.e., understanding the content of the page). One of the major reasons why I am not doing this, is the ongoing work to update the English wiki; it seems to me as if the English speaking simutrans community has chosen that site to convene at. Also, actually producing English texts in parallel with the Swedish ones is not much of a chore, but producing English language screenshots to illlustrate them takes a bit longer - since it means I need to switch languages in Simutrans constantly... Not a big thing, but it adds to the time spent. And when it seems that noone reads the pages... well it just does not itch that much *smile*

Dwachs

All I wanted to say was, that it is much easier to help if there are specific requests 'translate X', having in mind that potential translators do not have much spare time to do simutrans stuff.

Imho, it is really annoying to regularly read on the forum here things like 'if the others would have translated everything from German into English then I could do this and this'. I almost never came across a specific question. The start of this thread was one of this exceptions.

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Fabio

I use the wiki mostly (only???) as a reference for writing DATs. Old English wiki used to provide me every info i needed, now it lacks big time in this concern. German Wiki has a good coverage of the subject, but it's mostly useless for me, due to my ignorance of German (which is my fault, of course!)
If i had to ask for a specific translation, I would ask for the DAT reference. ;)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: fabio on October 08, 2009, 02:00:20 PM
due to my ignorance of German (which is my fault, of course!)

I wouldn't say that. German...
a) is quite difficult
b) is not the most popular language around
c) sounds hard or even ugly to many people hearing (but not understanding) it
d) learning English (as a foreign language) is usually way more important / useful

... so I'm usually very impressed by any "foreigner" actually bothering to learn speaking/understanding it at all. Not knowing it, however, is nothing that anyone should feel troubled about. Ever.

Now, about translations... I'll sure help. But since I don't have that much time that I'd like to spend on it, I'd like to stick to translating - i.e. I don't want to bother copying content from a German page to an English page or creating an English page from the roots, etc... (As I have no idea about tiki-wiki... and not much more about media-wiki, too). So if someone gives me an "English" wiki page (just with copied German content) I could go and start translating that (=I'd just translate the text parts, leaving the formatting as it was, since I don't know how to do that for example). Of course it would also be helpful if, like Dwachs said, people would tell "us" Germans what pages are "urgent" for them - since nobody will probably want to do it all at once (I certainly don't).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

sanna

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 08, 2009, 02:46:16 PM
Now, about translations... I'll sure help. But since I don't have that much time that I'd like to spend on it, I'd like to stick to translating - i.e. I don't want to bother copying content from a German page to an English page or creating an English page from the roots, etc... (As I have no idea about tiki-wiki... and not much more about media-wiki, too). So if someone gives me an "English" wiki page (just with copied German content) I could go and start translating that (=I'd just translate the text parts, leaving the formatting as it was, since I don't know how to do that for example). Of course it would also be helpful if, like Dwachs said, people would tell "us" Germans what pages are "urgent" for them - since nobody will probably want to do it all at once (I certainly don't).
On the tikiwiki pages where there are a Translate option on the drop down list in the top right corner, if you use that option, then the newly created page will automatically contain the German text. If the drop down list does not have a Translate option, then you need to ask Frank. Furthermore, there are already quite a few "English" pages around, that in fact contain primarily German text.

Dwachs

Quote from: fabio on October 08, 2009, 02:00:20 PM
If i had to ask for a specific translation, I would ask for the DAT reference. ;)
That is way to vague :) There are a lot of pages for dat-references.

And I agree with everything Dirk said. Especially this part:
Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 08, 2009, 02:46:16 PM
Of course it would also be helpful if, like Dwachs said, people would tell "us" Germans what pages are "urgent" for them - since nobody will probably want to do it all at once (I certainly don't).

Just PM me, if there are very specific translation requests.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: sanna on October 08, 2009, 03:35:00 PM
On the tikiwiki pages where there are a Translate option on the drop down list in the top right corner, if you use that option, then the newly created page will automatically contain the German text. If the drop down list does not have a Translate option, then you need to ask Frank.

Good to know. But that's still more or less what I'd expect the person I'm going to translate for, to do on his/her own. Then he/she just gives me the direct link to the English page and I'd get to work. Mind, I'm just offering to do the very last step: the actual translation - I'm not going to organize anything in the wiki, since that can either be done by others themselves (you don't have to be able to translate German for that) or in other cases needs to be done by Frank. You see, all the time I'd spend on these administrative things, I could use on translation instead. And that's exactly my purpose - and my premise.

Oh, and BTW why does the wiki (at least on some pages... well at least one page - I didn't check more) show "English" and "English British" as two separate languages? I don't think that we need (or want) two different English versions... that will only lead to confusion and chaos, since I don't think people will care to update both when they edit something...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

Thank you, Frank! the images show exactly what i wanted to know.