News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Introduce yourself to the community

Started by IgorEliezer, January 26, 2009, 04:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roboron

There are some military games that introduces logistics as an important element of the gameplay. Hearts of Iron come to my mind, where managing the supply chain and infraestructure is vital for deploying trops, specially in low-developed areas.

Mariculous

Well German "Autobahn" (motorway) was one of the main reasons for the fast early success of the megalomaniac dictator in WW2.
Further, beside of megalomaniac and inhuman programmes in that time, more than 7000 DR class 52 were built in only 8 years for a good reason. Logistics was simply essential for the war industry and some even worse inhuman programes. Many further classes were also built in that time, although in a much smaller number.

TheAmir259

Not sure whether i wanted to do this or not, but alas, here i am, so here i go

Hello everyone, I am Amir, and i'm quite new to Simutrans and the forum, but not the transport tycoon genre. I have previously tried this four years back (i think) but i decided that it was simply too hard to learn so i sticked with OpenTTD. Eventually i felt like i needed to take a break from one of the projects i initiated over there, and this game appeared (truth be told, i never uninstalled it) so i decided to give it a go (once again). Honestly, the only word i can say is that I really like this game, and it isn't hard to learn. Maybe the four year gap has something to do with it, or maybe not, that's for you to wonder. Either way, the Simutrans subforum over the Transport Tycoon Forums don't seem to be that lively so i thought it would be a wiser choice to actually register here instead. So here I am, I hope this community will be of help to me all the time, be it when it comes to problems or savegame sharing or else.

Matthew

Quote from: TheAmir259 on July 23, 2020, 03:37:33 PM
Hello everyone, I am Amir, and i'm quite new to Simutrans and the forum

Hi Amir, welcome to the Simutrans forum! And since you speak BM: salam! (EN: hello!).

I think that both lots of people and lots of code have been shared between Simutrans and OpenTTD over the years, although the two projects started independently. They each have their strengths.

They also have weak points. Simutrans is pretty difficult to learn. But it's very rewarding once you do.

QuoteSo here I am, I hope this community will be of help to me all the time, be it when it comes to problems or savegame sharing or else.

If there is one word that I would use to describe this community, it's probably "helpful". So you're in the right place!

Your post is also a good opportunity for me to say hello to the rest of the forum too, since I've been on hiatus for a few months. I tend to sporadically binge on Simutrans depending on what is happening in real life and what I'm reading (I love to read history books and then play related games, but Simutrans doesn't cover all eras & cultures.... yet).
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

RealAmerican1776

Hello, my name is Christian Bonneau (AKA TheRoadmaster1996), and I am from the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (yes that is the state's official name) in America's New England region (though I live in Nevada right now). My icon is the flag of Rhode Island: thirteen stars, an anchor in the middle and the words 'HOPE' beneath it. The thirteen stars represent Rhode Island's status as one of the first thirteen states in the union and one of the original thirteen colonies. The anchor represents our maritime heritage and ties in with HOPE which comes from a bible verse: "HOPE is the ANCHOR of the soul" or something like that. Anyway, I am currently developing my own Pakset called Pak256.America-Ex. I am probably a month or so from releasing the first version. So keep a look out! I enjoy playing Simutrans due to the historical aspect of it (I'm a big history buff) and I think it's neat that you can play through history and relive some of the greatest moments in a country's history.

RealAmerican1776

Quote from: DrakenJ35 on April 29, 2020, 05:11:48 PMplaying with soldiers - learning about military history - becoming a big buff in planes, tanks, guns etc - researching why countries X and Y won wars while Z and W lost - learning it was mainly because of their industrial failures and insufficiences - researching military industry - researching industry in general - researching infrastructure and logistics - discovering Simutrans.

I did pretty much the same thing. I enjoy military history and learning about the different wars and conflict's and their significance.  For example did you know King Philips War (1675-1678) which was fought in my home region of New England helped pave the way for Westward expansion in the U.S.? It was also one the first conflicts America was involved in that didn't require British aid. It was fought solely with New England's militia. This helped to lead to the American Revolution a hundred years later. It was also one of the most devastating conflicts in American history (more then the Civil War, World War One, or World War Two) and yet it is one of the forgotten conflicts in our history. If I wasn't disabled and didn't have a hole in my heart I would probably have joined the military by now. But the way things go... I can still write and learn about the military. I am writing a book set in a fictional New England town in WW2, the main character is a criminal investigator with Coast Guard Intelligence. One evening he and his family go to a lighthouse where his friend was just appointed lighthouse keeper. Suddenly his friend is found shot dead and the killer is among the group...

lexery88

Hi everyone! I'm Lexery, an average Mexican with a tremendous taste for management and strategy games.

A couple of days ago I had a notification on Steam about the development for MacOS and Roboron has told me about this community. Although I am not a developer or programmer for MacOS, I have knowledge of some programming languages and I want to join in to bring this game to those of us who do not have, at the moment, the opportunity to play on Windows.

Simutrans appeared in my life in 2013, I remember playing it from sunrise to sunset while listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. I still remember how proud I was when I completed my first train station without everyone getting stuck. ;D

This weekend that I'll start browsing the forums to see where to start and document myself.

Saludos!

Roboron

¡Hola, Lexery!

Quote from: lexery88 on October 14, 2020, 02:30:34 AMAlthough I am not a developer or programmer for MacOS, I have knowledge of some programming languages and I want to join in to bring this game to those of us who do not have, at the moment, the opportunity to play on Windows.

Main developer prissi said recently that MacOS 122 build is working. Can you confirm this? Download the MacOS release from Releases (not from Steam) and try executing it on the CLI to see relevant output.

If it works, that means that the problem is with Steam version of the game, and it is my duty to solve it. In this case, it would probably be caused by lack of approval from Apple...

-- ES only from there, nothing really relevant for non-ES speakers --

Nota que aún tenemos un subforo en Español (aunque medio muerto - la comunidad hispana era relevante hace una década, pero esos tiempos mejores pasaron hace tiempo). De hecho había muchas páginas fans, como:

* Escala Real
* Addons Simutrans Hispano
* El Trastero de Simutrans

Que muchas de estas páginas aún sigan disponibles, me impresiona (más teniendo en cuenta la de veces que se ha perdido contenido porque las páginas de la comunidad internacional se han ido al garete).

En segundo lugar me gustaría comentarte que una forma sencilla de contribuir al juego con 0 idea de programación, es traduciendo el juego. Las traducciones en español están muy desactualizadas, y en algún caso son erróneas (botón "entrar" como traducción de "play online" es un desastre). Todo esto está en mi lista de cosas pendientes, pero como comprenderás ahora mismo estoy liado con otras cosas más prioritarias, así que a saber cuando podré ponerme con ello. Si te interesa, la página de la wiki sobre traducciones es un buen sitio donde empezar.

Por último, si te gustan los juegos de gestión y estrategia también administro una pequeña comunidad hispana en Discord, Simcitycoon. Eres bienvenido si quieres unirte.

P.D.: No olvides darle al botón "Notificar" en un tema para que te avise de nuevas respuestas.

Matthew

Quote from: lexery88 on October 14, 2020, 02:30:34 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Lexery, an average Mexican with a tremendous taste for management and strategy games.

Welcome to the International Simutrans Forums, Lexery! Saludos!

QuoteA couple of days ago I had a notification on Steam about the development for MacOS and Roboron has told me about this community. Although I am not a developer or programmer for MacOS, I have knowledge of some programming languages and I want to join in to bring this game to those of us who do not have, at the moment, the opportunity to play on Windows.

It's great that Roberon's relaunch of the Steam package has drawn your attention to Simutrans again.

QuoteSimutrans appeared in my life in 2013, I remember playing it from sunrise to sunset

I guess that most people play Simutrans from sunset to sunrise....?  ;D

QuoteI still remember how proud I was when I completed my first train station without everyone getting stuck. ;D

Don't worry, you'll probably get stuck again soon, so you can have that happy experience again.  ;D I find the signals take a long time to learn.[/quote]
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

knotwork

Greetings simuants, or whatever passes for local denizens here  ;)

I am Mark Metson, proprietor of Digitalis Data Services (Est.1980) whose main domain is knotwork (dot whatever I could afford; back when domains were implemented I once even held windows.{com,net,org} and tried to auction them as a set on the new site e-bay, was charged $2.50 for setting up the auction, no one even bid (not even $2.50 for the set to cover the auction cost!) so I let them go; E-bay still sends me a bill every month ever since admitting they owe me a refund of the auction price but never actually sending me the refund. All these years!)  8)

I am known usually as knotwork or markm on forums, usually knotwork though for some long forgotten reason or none I am markm on BitCoinTalk forum and some few others. I snapped up markmetson@ on a number of common email venues including sourceforge long ago just to forestall attempted identity-theft on such platforms; On the bitcoin IRC bot / web of trust system that uses GPG presumably there is still enough of a trail I could dig up my old old old many machine-migrations ago desktop's homedir's .gpg and still confirm yeah I'm still me. :)

Okay so here we go...

What brings me here tonight is the thread Topic: Re-scaling Simutrans.

What led me to it is current research for the Galactic Milieu, of which I am the lead developer.

The Milieu is basically a metagame taking all the free open source multiplayer (preferably "massively", if truth be known) online games that I can find that actually work and trying to find a place for them within a multiverse into which such games get used as viewports or "rabbitholes" (yes, it is or can be or might be an "alternate reality game"...).

So. There I was, chatting with other DeVCoin developers and afficionados (I am one of the two original developers of DeVCoin, and thus, as initial tool when researching how to go about coding DeVCoin, also of GRouPcoin) about possibly using some kind of transport baron game and whether to use OpenTTD, Simutrans, both, or something else entirely... So I started to do my homework, or as some say, "due diligence"...

...And here I am, via the abovementioned thread.

So without further ado, mayhap 'tis time I ventured over to said selfsame aforementioned thread... :)

-MarkM-

Lieven

Hi Brenda, welcome to the forum, what about your interessement for the transport and logistics world ?
Europeans addons in project:

Too much ! ;-)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Lupus the Canine

Hi,
I am from Poland, I recently started playing Simutrans out of curiosity.

Lupus

Matthew

Quote from: Lupus the Canine on January 20, 2021, 04:21:20 PM
Hi,
I am from Poland, I recently started playing Simutrans out of curiosity.

Lupus

Welcome Lupus! It is good to have a contributor from Europe's centre of bus manufacturers!

Actually I am part-Polish, though my ancestors left a century ago.

G67

hello! im new here. i played simutrans because i love pixel game and transport tycoon games!
Just a Helicopter flying high in the sky.

Roboron

Then you are in the right place :-) Welcome!

KneeOn

Welcome G67 - Simutrans is a great example of how diverse pixel art games can be - art styles, locations or even rendered buildings converted! Have you thought about painting some yourself?

G67

Quote from: KneeOn on April 25, 2021, 07:21:14 PM
Welcome G67 - Simutrans is a great example of how diverse pixel art games can be - art styles, locations or even rendered buildings converted! Have you thought about painting some yourself?
i never thought to paint some but i think i wil
Just a Helicopter flying high in the sky.

KneeOn

It's a learning curve if you've never painted but once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun and the dat files are the same - once you get the hang of those it becomes quite easy!

mobosbro

Hello Simutrans Community,

I am the little brother of the User Moistboy/mobo.
I played Simutrans a bit over 10 years ago.
I contributed to Pak32c.
My location is Berlin east and my age 36.

I created a new game project recently and I am looking for Community Members.

Here is the Homepage:http://weloveafrica.epizy.com/
And the FacebookGroup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1173886073018513

arl85

Hello,
I'm Angelo from Italy. I played a bit of simutrans in the past, without too much success; now returning for another try!

KneeOn

Quote from: arl85 on March 05, 2022, 11:33:06 AM
Hello,
I'm Angelo from Italy. I played a bit of simutrans in the past, without too much success; now returning for another try!

Welcome!

If you're having trouble with playing you can set 'freeplay' mode which removes bankruptcy so you can find a way to make a profit that way :) This setting can be turned on and off so once you are established or confident you can turn freeplay mode of. You can access this in the 'players' menu

Matthew

Welcome to the forum, Angelo! Ciao!

Simutrans can be difficult to learn at the beginning, but the gameplay is better than any other transport game once you learn it.

Khaki Cap

Hello everyone.
I'm Ondřej from Czech Republic. Simutrans has been part of my life since 2003.
Shareware CD's are what got me into this game and I'd love to contribute at least once, by donating one old version for anyone to enjoy. (Ver. 0.78.7 / 13-June-2001)
~Khaki Cap~

Matthew

Quote from: Khaki Cap on June 26, 2022, 12:28:09 PMHello everyone.
I'm Ondřej from Czech Republic. Simutrans has been part of my life since 2003.
Shareware CD's are what got me into this game and I'd love to contribute at least once, by donating one old version for anyone to enjoy. (Ver. 0.78.7 / 13-June-2001)

Welcome, to the forum, Ondřej! You must be one of our longest-serving players!

What is the licence on that old version? I don't know exactly when Simutrans switched to the Artistic Licence, but I have a vague idea that it is 2003.

prissi

This version is Freeware, with closed source; Simutrans became open source with a proper license almost five years later.

Khaki Cap

Quote from: prissi on June 27, 2022, 12:31:17 PMThis version is Freeware, with closed source; Simutrans became open source with a proper license almost five years later.
May I donate the game freeware anyways? I'd like everyone to enjoy it.
~Khaki Cap~

blu.256

Hello Simutrans Forum, I'm blu.256.

I have been playing Simutrans since 2010 (or so). It's probably the first game that I fell in love with.

I tried to create building paks once. I hope to do that again.

I think I want to contribute in some way to one of the paksets (or even start a new one), and I don't think I could contribute in code even though I know programming.

Khaki Cap

Quote from: Matthew on June 27, 2022, 11:54:59 AMWelcome, to the forum, Ondřej! You must be one of our longest-serving players!

What is the licence on that old version? I don't know exactly when Simutrans switched to the Artistic Licence, but I have a vague idea that it is 2003.
Well, early just to enjoy and be fascinated by some moving pixels

As admin said: This version is a freeware with closed source. Shareware feature is still in there, so it will be great for anyone to try older version.
~Khaki Cap~

Roboron

Nice to meet you both! Although I already met Khaki on Twitter. EDIT: Oh, and blu.256 comes from the Fediverse. Nice!

Quote from: blu.256 on July 01, 2022, 04:57:04 PMI think I want to contribute in some way to one of the paksets (or even start a new one), and I don't think I could contribute in code even though I know programming.

That's magnificent! We don't need only programmers - pakset maintainers are very much welcome too!

Quote from: Khaki Cap on July 01, 2022, 05:03:06 PMShareware feature is still in there, so it will be great for anyone to try older version.

Could you send me privately this version? I will publish it later as part of the anniversary events currently going.

Khaki Cap

Quote from: Roboron on July 01, 2022, 06:30:43 PMCould you send me privately this version? I will publish it later as part of the anniversary events currently going.
For sure. Well... how? Should I send PM or something else? I'm totaly new to the forum website.
~Khaki Cap~

Roboron

Quote from: Khaki Cap on July 03, 2022, 06:56:00 AMFor sure. Well... how? Should I send PM or something else? I'm totaly new to the forum website.

Yes, a PM is fine. You can find the function at the top bar.

Khaki Cap

Quote from: Roboron on July 03, 2022, 07:10:06 AMYes, a PM is fine. You can find the function at the top bar.
Sent the PM but not sure if you recieved it
~Khaki Cap~

jimishol

Hello from Greece.
I remember i played simutrans several years ago. Since i can recall me watching a successful transport system i didn't want to alter so as not to break it, I believe I was playing the standard version and not the experimental one.
My hobbies are mathematics and a little of programming only when i need it. I live exclusively in linux systems and in termux on androids. I like challenges, so i like simutrans experimental, as it is for sure i cannot beat it. I will enjoy the road till the point i can get.
I wish you successful designs of transportation networks  ;)

(I just uploaded a file in http://files.simutrans-germany.com/ but i see it as of unknown owner despite the fact i had the impression i logged in with the same nick and  password i use here. I do not see 'sign in' there. If you hello me back and know, inform me about accounts in that site)

Kitasumi

Hello.I'm kitasumi(きたすみ) and I'm Japanese.

I like railway passenger cars of Japan and Europe.
These days I make addons of locomotives and passenger cars for pak128.