News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Introduce yourself to the community

Started by IgorEliezer, January 26, 2009, 04:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Hi there Sam,

Firstly, welcome to the Simutrans Community. I, myself am from the UK, however Surrey is much much much better :) But 'Shire and 'County Wars can be put aside for now.

Not trying to put you off or anything, but I believe that there is a Electrostar already - however I'm sure J Petts would be happy for your help on 128.Britain :)

Hope you have lots of fun :)
If you would like, there are several maps of GB as templates to download at maps.simutrans.com. You'll have to make all of the cities 0 when creating, and then place manually if you'd like to attempt something similar to British Transport Network (spaghetti junction = trouble ahead).

OffTopic: What does EEE and MIPS mean?

H./

The Hood

Quote from: Maragil on September 22, 2009, 04:49:44 PM
Not trying to put you off or anything, but I believe that there is a Electrostar already - however I'm sure J Petts would be happy for your help on 128.Britain :)

I'd also be keen for extra contributions to graphics on pak128.Britain!  There is an electrostar in pak128.Britain, but it is the 375 - I haven't done a 377 because they are so similar (even though I live just off the Brighton main line - Surrey side - which uses 377s, although for best bit of the UK it's got to be somewhere up North where there is decent scenery), but if you draw one that fits the style it can go in the pak (if you use blender I can even send you the model of the 375 to adapt).   Welcome, and I look forward to seeing any paks you create!

If you need a hand with any of the pak making, just post in help requests (or the pak forums if it is pak-specific)

colonyan

Yes! New comer!
Keep the simutrans with new blood!
And welcome to KneeOn!

KneeOn

MIPS is a processor architecture, much like x86 or ARM.
EEE? EEE is the original cheap net book! Unfortunately GIMP didn't download :( I'll try again after college today, and make the .pak file and test it. Im also going to look at making a new "British" looking station, or a kinda middle  roof for the large station, so you can have left big station piece (on pak 64), then two or three middle bits, and then the right roof, making it look like everything is under one roof. But this is for a different topic xD

prissi

I have an eeePC too, and I strongly recommend using Pint Shop Pro 4.12 Share, one of the best programs ever made for Pixel Pushing. SInce it is from 96 or so it really rune everywhere.

Simutrans could also run on MIPS, supposed somebody compiles it there. One would just need and SDL or a WindowsCE.

KneeOn

I'm using GIMP (from my love of Linux :P)

I find also using Paint, and then just using GIMP to compress it to 24 bit depth helps. Now my internet is back up, after much struggling, i will dowload GIMP and get my BR 377 up if it works tomorrow! :)

jamy015

Hi all, i'm Jamy from Delft, The Netherlands. I'm 12 years old (turning 13 on December 5) and i don't really have time to play Simutrans because of this:

- First i do homework (i'm just in high school, now it's like HOMEWORK OVERLOAD to me)
- Then i check my Google Reader, Gmail etc.
- Then i do things on my computer which i have been walking around all day with and thinking "When i get home, i'll do this."  :)
- And then most of the time it's bedtime, otherwise i can play Simutrans (yay!)

Anyways, it's like 2 days that i play it (didn't even read the Starter Guide fully) but i already think Simutrans is a great game!

Spike

Welcome to the forum, and have a lot of fun, here and while playing Simutrans :)

wipi35

Quote from: jamy015 on October 29, 2009, 09:25:15 PM
. . . . . . but i already think Simutrans is a great game!

That's a very good conclusion! Wish you lots of fun.

Spike

Glad to hear that you enjoy the game :) The economic side of Simutrans isn't its strongest, though, but construction is.

Welcome to the forum!

Spike

Definitely :) What I had in mind, is, that at some point you'll have a steady income and get rich beyond all limits. Players who look for economic challenges find Simutrans boring from this point.

The longer lasting challenge is to organize, expand and maintain the transport network. So it's more of a construction game, than an economic game.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Just to explain - we're a bit sensitive here to new members coming and, as their first post, posting a bunch of links elsewhere. A number of the people in the past who have done this never became a member of the community - they just spammed us and moved on.

I'm not in a position to use anything you mentioned offering; I don't know if others might be interested or not... Sorry for the rough welcome we've given you, but I hope this helps explain it a little bit. :)

Liam

Hi guys, im Liam and im a Brit.

Im a complete noob and i found simutrans while i was trailing through iphone apps, I found it rediculously hard to push buttons through the tiny iphone screen, lol, but I did think the idea of the game was emmense so i logged on my laptop and downloaded it right away. I really love how challenging simutrans is, I always seem to go bankrupt, due to over enthusiasm or risking things... sadly. Im probably not using the best techniques by diving into the oil industry.

I have done heaps of development work for FlightGear (a free open source flight simulator), (www.flightgear.org, if your a fan of free software like simutrans, and like flying  ;D), and therefore I may be interested to do lots for Simutrans too.

Im quite good at using GIMP, Photoshop, other stuff, and even 3D modelling (AC3D, Blender, Sketchup), animation (Premier Pro, Adobe After FX, XML definitioned movements of objects, in flightgear specifically), etc. My latest project was an Airbus a340-600 for flightgear simulator, you can see its progress here:

Almost finished, the interior and cabin is also modelled. Flightgear defines things through XML documents, which are complex to configure the Flight dynamics (FDM, i.e. how it moves), animations (which objects move, where, how much, how fast and when), modelling (using .ac model files, converted from sketchup and then mapped suitably with an image, so that you can change the paint scheme in flight to whatever I add to it, so there can be livery add-ons), also submodels like engine fires, smoke, wheel gear smoke on touchdown, Ice contrails in the air.

However I have no idea how Simutrans is structured, as i downloaded it a few days ago, but I am really interested in working on this project in as many areas as my skills are relevant, and as I learnt all I know from Flightgear, I hope to learn more here.

Hope I can be of help to ya'!, however I see this isn't as similar to a flight simulator, but still I love the concept. However I would be more than happy to paint a few aircraft, however thats done. I feel a lack of good airport stuff is in this sim ;).. well, theres certainly some pretty accurate stuff.. but im just fussy...

When I was 14 (3 years ago), I used to be a big fan of the sim city series!, so im interested in this stuff. Oh and I study Geography too, and media which is where the animation come in :P In the future I want to study Motion graphics or animation, dependant on whichever university accepts my offer, so I hope this will be a relevent interest. Oh I also used to love trains, at a younger age, I have an old hornby trainset in my loft from a few years back, with scenery modelled and things. Oh and a plastic fix-kit model QM2 cruise liner, which took me forever to put together. God I sound like a geek when I release all this stuff. You shall be pleased to know I have somewhat cooler hobbies nowadays ;], but these were my old interests through my first 15 years of life.

Cheers, thanks for whoever is responsible for this cool project. And by the way im pretty anoyed that my avatar image is twice the size and makes me look obese,  :o.

Liam.

vilvoh

Another member with Blender skills, great!! welcome to the Simutrans community, Liam!  ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Shunter 08

Hey guys, Rob London, I've been playing simutran for years and thought I was all alone! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

The Hood

Quote from: Liam on January 04, 2010, 09:05:34 PM
Hope I can be of help to ya'!, however I see this isn't as similar to a flight simulator, but still I love the concept. However I would be more than happy to paint a few aircraft, however thats done. I feel a lack of good airport stuff is in this sim ;).. well, theres certainly some pretty accurate stuff.. but im just fussy...

If you are interested, pak128.Britain is short of planes at the minute (see here), and pak128.Britain graphics are mostly done in blender.  Sounds like you're better at it than me, as simutrans usage of blender for graphics creation is fairly basic (use a few textures, render 8 orientations in an isometric view, then use gimp or similar to create a png file with them all in and tidy up any stray pixels).  Let me know if you want to help out with this, I'm sure we can put your skills to great use on this project, but only if you want to help on this project.  I'm sure there are many other things you could do/help out on if you'd prefer.

Shunter 08

Quote from: The Hood on January 04, 2010, 10:50:43 PM
If you are interested, pak128.Britain is short of planes at the minute (see here), and pak128.Britain graphics are mostly done in blender.  Sounds like you're better at it than me, as simutrans usage of blender for graphics creation is fairly basic (use a few textures, render 8 orientations in an isometric view, then use gimp or similar to create a png file with them all in and tidy up any stray pixels).  Let me know if you want to help out with this, I'm sure we can put your skills to great use on this project, but only if you want to help on this project.  I'm sure there are many other things you could do/help out on if you'd prefer.

I'm more then happy to help out with art work, I've had experiance with various games skinning.

BTW pak128.Britain rocks! That you for the time and effort everyone has put into simutrans and the pak128.Britian in particular. You have made me, and I'm sure many others, very very happy.

We need a Class 08 (or a yard shunter) in brit, if your point to towards a tutorial I'm more then happy to make that my first attempt for brit.

VS

Quote from: Shunter on January 04, 2010, 10:16:52 PM
Hey guys, Rob London, I've been playing simutran for years and thought I was all alone! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Hi! I take it you are not the Shunter we knew some time ago but another Shunter?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

Quote from: Shunter on January 05, 2010, 07:30:32 AM
I'm more then happy to help out with art work, I've had experiance with various games skinning.

BTW pak128.Britain rocks! That you for the time and effort everyone has put into simutrans and the pak128.Britian in particular. You have made me, and I'm sure many others, very very happy.

We need a Class 08 (or a yard shunter) in brit, if your point to towards a tutorial I'm more then happy to make that my first attempt for brit.

Thanks for the feedback!  If you want to have a go at pak128.Britain graphics, I suggest reading this first:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=2401.0

Then feel free to ask me any questions that are a bit more specific.

Generally for starting out I'd suggest adapting something that's already there rather than diving in with something completely new.  If you decide to go down the blender route, I can send models for most of the existing artwork.

Shunter 08

Thanks Hood, I checked out a few googled tutorials and blender seems the route to take.

VS: No sorry I'm not the "Old shunter" on this forum.

VS

OK, now we all know :) Duplicate nicknames are as confusing as time travel...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Shunter 08

Not wishing to wharp the space time continuum, I am now Shunter 08, ta-dar!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Yay!

...but what did you do with Shunter 01 through 07?

hehehe

Joking aside, a warm welcome to the forum. :)

Shunter 08

Thanks Isaac, shunter 01 got lost sometime ago, 02 and 03 are on leave, 04 smiled at the wrong guy in a bar late one night, 05 found god, 06 is trying to work out blender and 07 is sitting next to me.

:)

Gouv

Hello, I've found my way to simutrans through the pc-welt.de-Newsletter. It must have been around 28.-29.11.2009, simutrans was on pc-welt's list of the best free games or something like that  8)
I've been playing simutrans(pak128) alot since then, partly because my VGA-Card was pretty much dead and i couldnt get a new one for a while.
Been playing mostly eve-online before, if anyone's interested.

Right now I'm trying to figure out Blender, - it's probably my 5th try already. Was trying to figure it out on my own before, failed horribly and deleted the poor Programm after that. This time I finally 'gave up' and did read a good bunch of Tutorials and seem to do alright so far.  :)
Simutrans is kinda 'responsible' for that, because i liked the trains in there and wanted to make some of my own. I wanted them to be complex and good-looking and since i always liked 3d, Blender got another chance. Started with Buildings, because they seemed to be easier than vehicles.

My Avatar was done in Blender too, it's been a poor Cube until it's vertices got multiplied and pulled out of the mesh(sounds like torture >.<). It's actually absolutely symmetrical, just turned a little(front view was pretty boring).

One more thing: my native language is german (it replaced russian long time ago), but I really hope you can understand my english as well.
So, well, finally done, I guess.

vilvoh

Welcome to the community and to the Simutrans-Blender crew, too! At the beggining it's a little bit hard to learn how it works but definetly it's worthwhile. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions... ;)

OnlineGambit

Hey everyone, just joined in with the whole simutrans thing, currently working on my 4th game (well 4th game after figuring out how to use basic signals) I see to get so far, then make an unprofitable move, but unable to find why it isn't profitable and then go bankcrupt, opps, at least i had half the map connected this time the future is bright, the future is orange.

I've done quite a bit of pixel art before, and i'm considering giving this a go to make a few new trains for the earlier periods, it would be nice to know what trains are already made, is there a list anywhere? pak64, i think i'll probs stick with the main pak until i get bored of it.

Spike

Welcome to the forum :) With question on how to make profitable network, the forum oldtimers sure can help. That's a common problem particularly for new players.

I don't think there is a comprehensive list of vehicles for each pak, but you can always contactt eh pak maintainers to ask and see what they think is needed. Prissi is currently in charge of pak64, but he is also very busy as head of the coders team.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay in the forum.

werl

Hi, I'm Werl, I hail from central Alberta, Canada (for those who don't know).  I LOVE simutrans. I have had the game for a while now, just signed up recently to ask for some help. Love the place!  ;D :D 8)
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

vilvoh

Welcome to the community, Werl. We always need more canadians around here.. ;)

werl

C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

NakedFury

Hello all I'm from Puerto Rico and I am new to Simutrans.

idan44

Hello, My name is Idan. I am playing Simutrans for some monthes.

I live in Israel and like computer's proggraming.
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...