News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

create lines where the vehicles keep a certain distance from each other?

Started by bahner, May 27, 2014, 10:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahner

I made a simple line with buses - all the same types and speed.
Unfortunately after some time all the buses are driving in a convoy, although they were started with delay.

Is there a way to create lines where the vehicles keep a certain distance from each other?

Leartin

Pick any one station of the line and tell the buses to wait for full load (100%), but with a max waiting time.  That way buses will leave that station in a fixed interval, which should pretty much be the same as a fixed distance.

gauthier

Anyway, be careful, one your bus could be stuck at a stop, waiting for full load, stucking other buses which need the road too.

wlindley

The problem of "bunching" is well known in transit research. With buses, imagine a perfectly straight street with stops at exactly divided intervals. We start a fleet of buses at identical intervals. However, the first bus to encounter a group of passengers boarding will stop for some time; the bus behind it will run up on it, and as the buses get closer, the second bus will encounter fewer passengers to pick up, and thus approach the first bus until it catches up. There is no single solution to the problem, but if you find one, please contact London Transport! Bus Bunching (wikipedia)

p.s., grammar note: "Stick" is a verb whose past tense is "stuck" -- perhaps you mean "blocking other buses." (I hope we have excised "stucked" [not a word] from Simutrans. Perhaps this is like the common mistake "drownded" [also not a word] where the verb is "drown" and "drowned" is past tense... like saying "I ated this food." [cringe]) Cheers!

Ters

Quote from: wlindley on May 27, 2014, 01:38:57 PM
(I hope we have excised "stucked" [not a word] from Simutrans. Perhaps this is like the common mistake "drownded" [also not a word] where the verb is "drown" and "drowned" is past tense... like saying "I ated this food." [cringe])

Not quite, the wording in the text used to look up the correct translation is still wrong, for compatibility reasons.

prissi