News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

PageUp / PageDown - Keys

Started by Dwachs, January 28, 2009, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Currently these keys are mapped internally to [<] or [>]. Is there a reason for this behaviour?

Usually (depending on pakset) the [<][>] keys toggle zoom in and out. So the PgUp/PgDown keys inherit this. In addition, mouse wheel movement triggers zooming.

Are there strong opinions against a change here that would create separate events for PageUp/PageDown and the [<][>] keys? That means, the possibility to connect other actions with PgUp/PgDn than Zoom in/out.

I can imagine the use of the PgUp / PgDown keys here:

• navigation in scroll lists
  • navigation in z-direction on a given tile: In current simutrans, the cursor sits only on the ground tile. A direct manipulation of the z-coordinate is not possible (sometimes one can use the [ctrl] key, which does not work intuitively for me). However, many tools support full 3d-coordinates. So a possibility to navigate along the z-axis would be benefitial imho.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

I like the Z-axis idea. Perhpas also CTRL+mouse wheel would be good for that, too?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

This is inteded as many keyboards do not have < and > easy accessible. For instance if you have german mapping on japanese keyboard, those keys are unaccessible, since the japanese keyboad lack a key at the expected position. On the other hand laptop have PageUp/Down only accessible via function keys.

Zooming in/out is used very often. List scrolling with cursors does not work (only when the list would have focus, which it never gains) thus working page up/down will be unexpected, imho.

Dwachs

I see you points.

What about the navigation in z-direction?

Thinking again about my proposal made me change my mind: Instead of cycling through all tiles (bridges, elevated etc) above one ground, it would be much more practical to select the right thing by mouse only. That would imply a rewrite of the transformation code 'mouse position -> 3d-coordinates', in simworld.cc, karte_t::bewege_zeiger, lines 4035--4100.

prissi

Go ahead. For this purpose I changed all tools to accept 3D coordinates.

Dwachs

.. if time and other patches permits ..