News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Seeking advices for modelling half cabs

Started by FS1819, June 22, 2014, 02:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FS1819

I am trying to model a half cab Guy Arab V.
Real thing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/46986413@N07/10479188885/in/set-72157636606823036

However, I am not sure how to approach it. How can I ensure symmetric overall body dimensions, but as well as an asymmetric front?
If I click apply in the modifier menu, I cannot change anything on the front easily.

Previously, all my Blender models are solids, onto which I paint the colours, windows, doors etc.
I have studied quite a few pak128.Britain models, and the method you use is much more complex, modelling nearly all the exterior features.
Mind if I ask where you begin modelling a bus from? Do you build the model face by face?

Thank you in advance. I ask it here because you have the most experience in modelling half cabs.  :)
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

You might find it much easier to start with an existing model (they are all on Github) and just modify it: that is what I have done so far.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

FS1819

Thank you. I opted to try meshing body details first. Thus, I chose to model an Olympian for practice before the Arab.

I used the knife project function to imprint the details onto the model. I guess that was how the original modeller did the pak128.Britain models.
All the colours were mapped directly onto a face, and I didn't use UV mapping this time.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

kierongreen

Originally I tended to start with a cube, then subdivide the edges before moving vertices around. For some of the more complex surface shapes I would use arc, circles and spheres as starting points.

In the end it doesn't matter how the model is created, it's the end result which is important. In this case that bus looks great :)