News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Can't get program to start

Started by jentlemangim, August 03, 2014, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jentlemangim

I downloaded all then new Experimental programs but can get them to start on an XP machine. I have included a screen shot of the error. Any ideas?

romonito

hi,

there are several exe-Files in the Simu-Ex directory. Try another one ...
You didnt write which one you used.

have luck!

jentlemangim

The regular Simutrans.exe works. But the Simutrans-Experimental.exe is the one that will not work. Nor does Simutrans-Experimental-command-line-server.exe. Now I just tried the debug. It appears to be trying to run.

Junna

Try deleting any eventual simutrans-experimental.xml that might be present in the program directory, or in the mydocuments/whatever folder that it uses when not set to single-install.

DrSuperGood

The error looks a lot like the game is trying to load an incompatible save file. A rough look at the error source shows that it is generated when trying to load some sort of XML stored number. The fact that it is crashing in the "loadsave" class reporting incompatible types leads me to believe the save you are loading is not compatible.

Experimental will load a demo map save when you first start it. This is different from standard which appears to generate some kind of default map (random industry placement).

Make sure experimental and standard are in separate folders (not sure they are meant to co-exist). Consider making a new folder for experimental and installing it cleanly.

kierongreen

Both Experimental and Standard can use demo maps when they first start. However if you've got a demo map from a more recent version Standard that might cause problems with Experimental.