News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

No servers?

Started by Marko, August 31, 2014, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Hello all. Why is there no servers online? Only one offline. I though that this game is popular..

DrSuperGood

Because no one is currently hosting any? Not everyone has the available resources to host a server, especially 24/7.

There are also a lot of stability issues with RC version and nightly are intermittent so keeping a reliable server is very difficult.

If you have a decent internet connection and a computer lying around (which you can afford to run) then feel free to start your own server, I am sure many people would appreciate it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Marko, welcome to the forum. Just a note that I have removed your signature because it was very large and unrelated to the forum.

On the topic itself: Simutrans is... popular? I think it's very popular with the players who know about it and play it, but I'm not sure I'd call us popular. Even if we are, multiplayer is a somewhat recent addition (as far as the length of the game's development goes), and is still being worked on. Stable enough to play, but it does crash. So I think a small segment of our small community plays. :)

MobileRod

When such a time comes I start asking why. Why can't I have a good internet connection (connection in countryside Brazil is not reliable, things would be way different if I lived in a big city...)? Why don't I have a good machine able to run 24/7? I love to play it - I always feel like learning, but I like it anyway - and I'd love to host it, but...

Leartin

There is a thread named "Do you want your own server but don't know how to host it yourself?"

You might want to betatest the offered service ;)

MobileRod

Quote from: Leartin on September 04, 2014, 11:18:58 AM
There is a thread named "Do you want your own server but don't know how to host it yourself?"

You might want to betatest the offered service ;)

Thanks a lot, Leartin! I'll give it a look :)