News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Airplanes fail choosing free loading platform on airports shared with else lines

Started by Václav, October 12, 2014, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I found one very bothering bug in behaviour of airplanes - if two or more lines share one airport, airplanes seek only for one loading platform that is assigned in route schedule.

I have three airports - and two airplane lines. On airports that are target of only one line airplanes seek for free loading platform when platform assigned in schedule is being used. But on that other airport where both lines meet each other, airplanes seek only for platform assigned in schedule.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

DrSuperGood

I have never had this problem, even with many lines sharing the same landing space. I even have a 120 compatible pak128 save showing this.

They will prioritize the designated landing space first, choosing the runway closest to that stop. If that is full they automatically seek out the next available landing space to park in.

I had a huge distribution centre for air freight with about 6 planes from 4 routes sharing a designated landing area and they would all park without problems in separate spaces despite being ordered to land at the same space in the line planner.

Václav

DrSuperGood ...

as I found in short while that passed from posting that message, that behaviour appears when control points are used - for example for controlling which runway will be used.

I use one way signs for assigning runways for lading and for taking off - there still no problem is. But if I use control point in route schedule - when I have landing/taking off runway separately for each line, then described problem appears.

DrSuperGood

I never used waypoints to try and dictate the entry runway, only one-way signs.

I am guessing the waypoint is after it lands but before it chooses a bay in the stop? I think the process of landing is responsible for choosing which bay to use so any orders after that are not subject to the bay choose process.

Václav

I use waypoints for selecting of one of many runways to use - because I assigned great many planes to those lines (because I have only planes with very small capacity at this time of game) - and else planes of both lines would use the same runways that causes terrible queues in air.

As is visible on attached image, there are four runways - runways on the right side are used for landing, runways on the left side are used for taking off.

I placed waypoints on tiles of taxiways that is nearby crossing with runway (tile where is placed one-way sign to assign runway for landing/taking off).

Ters

I can't remember waypoints ever having worked for airplanes. It's like trying to have waypoints after a choose signal.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI can't remember waypoints ever having worked for airplanes. It's like trying to have waypoints after a choose signal.
They work for in-flight routing (at least since 113). Some guy bankrupted his multi hundred million company by flying concords in enormous circles when he wanted to quit a server. However mostly they are completely useless since you want planes to take as direct a route as possible.

On taxi-ways the problem you mention is likely the case.

QuoteAs is visible on attached image, there are four runways - runways on the right side are used for landing, runways on the left side are used for taking off.

I placed waypoints on tiles of taxiways that is nearby crossing with runway (tile where is placed one-way sign to assign runway for landing/taking off).
I never ran into that problem because I do not try and make realistic airports. All mine are designed for high throughput so are usually fully functional straight line units with 1 dedicated landing ramp, 2-8 bays (depending on function with 2 being immediate departure and 8 being wait parking) and 1 take off ramp. Since take off congestion has no penalty compared with landing and take off is faster than landing I share 1 take off ramp between 2 such units. One-way signs are used to assure that each runway is only good for the designated purpose. Each line is assigned to one such unit. A high throughput hub might have 4-8 such units however end game usually only 1-2 is enough for the average sized server.

There is a bug that allows correctly functional one-way signs on intersections in the case of airports. You simply place the sign before building an intersection and it will allow planes to use bays that split off there but not allow those planes to use that runway to leave. I personally would like this to be the natural placement behaviour of one-way airport signs however I would also not mind if it were to eventually be fixed.

prissi

Back to the original problem: Waypoints after the end of a runway will force the original loading bay.

Václav

Quote from: prissi on October 13, 2014, 12:57:25 PM
Back to the original problem: Waypoints after the end of a runway will force the original loading bay.
Yes - but without their using all planes are using only one runway for landing.

Ters

Quote from: Václav on October 13, 2014, 07:53:08 PM
Yes - but without their using all planes are using only one runway for landing.

Only as long as one runway give access to all the gates.

prissi

DrSuperGood

This is why I would recommend avoiding airport designs where aircraft bays have multiple landing runways connected to them. Instead divide the airport into separate "sections", each with multiple loading bays but only 1 landing runway. You can share take-off runways with however many sections you want as long as one-way sings prevent them from being used for landings.

Václav

Quote from: DrSuperGood on October 13, 2014, 09:50:59 PM
Instead divide the airport into separate "sections", each with multiple loading bays but only 1 landing runway. You can share take-off runways with however many sections you want as long as one-way sings prevent them from being used for landings.
I am sorry but I don't understand you.

Your idea is suitable in cases when airport is used by only few planes - when airports are not congested. But I have two lines with more than twenty planes per line. And when those more than fourty planes would meet on one landing runway, ...

Situation of airplanes in Pak96.comic is a different from Pak128 (that I played before). Here, in year 1956, I have planes with capacity of only 6 people. And it is too small capacity in case of more than three thousand people are waiting. So, I have only one way: to buy great many planes - and build one landing (and taking off) runway per one line.

And by the way, it would not solve that problem - that waypoints block choosing empty loading bay - as it was said by prissi.

So, there are two ways how to solve it: recode one-way signs to they would be choose signals (but without chance of usable result) - or correction of waypoints.

Ters

Quote from: Václav on October 15, 2014, 01:33:13 PM
I am sorry but I don't understand you.

Your idea is suitable in cases when airport is used by only few planes - when airports are not congested. But I have two lines with more than twenty planes per line. And when those more than fourty planes would meet on one landing runway, ...

You would only have to deal with twenty planes converging on one landing runway. Aircraft from the other line would land on the other runway. Futher reduction would require twin (or more) lines that just differ in which gate they use in either case.

What you don't seem to understand is that the gate targetted by each line would only be reachable from one of the runways. Either that, or you have, as the only person, noticed that one-way signs don't work at all. All fourty planes would not be converging on one runway, because that runway doesn't lead to the intended destination of half of them.

Václav

I tested behaviour of planes in case of various places of waypoints - and found following:

waypoint on taxiway: empty loading bay is not chosen - but runways stay blocked only at time of presence of plane
waypoint on runway (any place - I tested both ends of runway and crossing with taxiway): empty loading bay is (sometime) chosen  - but runway (sometime) stay blocked even if there is not reason (if plane is not present on runway)

Quote from: Ters on October 15, 2014, 03:37:47 PM
You would only have to deal with twenty planes converging on one landing runway. Aircraft from the other line would land on the other runway. Futher reduction would require twin (or more) lines that just differ in which gate they use in either case.

What you don't seem to understand is that the gate targetted by each line would only be reachable from one of the runways. Either that, or you have, as the only person, noticed that one-way signs don't work at all. All fourty planes would not be converging on one runway, because that runway doesn't lead to the intended destination of half of them.
If I understand correctly, there it will be like if two airports would be merged into one. Nothing against - but it is not solution.

What I don't understand is keeping of that construction of airport in mind, at all.

prissi

Waypoints on runways (or elsewhere) will now still allow for bay choosing. Test r7342

Václav

Thanks - I see - that it is running again.

By the way, all problem with no choosing of empty loading bay appeared in moment of lack of some good (in my case it was a post) on airport.

Else there self-regulation (based on throughput) causes that mostly choosing of empty loading bay is almost not needed.