News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

waytypes at tunnel

Started by sojo, February 01, 2009, 10:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sojo

I wish there were a possibility to build a selected waytype at tunnels.

This time you can only build with the tunnel-tool.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

DirrrtyDirk

You know that exactly this (as far as I understood it) is being worked on right now?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

sojo

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 01, 2009, 10:27:02 PM
You know that exactly this (as far as I understood it) is being worked on right now?

No. Have I somethink overlooked?

prissi

Well, this would be strange. Tunnels are made by excarvation and thus are very expensive. Thus they are only made with the tunnel tool. I think the new patch will not change this; or else I will change it that way, because this is intended.

DirrrtyDirk

Well at least that's how I took some remarks (starting here) leading to this - and not to forget what Kieron said... uhh.. some months ago.

Edit:
If pricing is the only factor, then I think it should/could probably be handled differently. Building in UG mode by tunnel tool is counter intuitive (as we see from questions of new users again and again) and having only one type of track (graphically I mean) when building underground is... worth improving, too.

The Hood

It would be great if there was a way of choosing to build one of several different tunnel types with different speed and different graphics - unless I'm just being thick and you can already do this???

Fabio

you can already do this, it's up to the pakset. i already made some for pak 128, i'll release them with the whole new railtracks set i'm working (now and then) for more than one year.

Stubbsy

Is there going to be a way of a tunnel starting at one height, and ending at a different height, or going down then up again? I wasn't sure if it was going to happen in the new underground that is being worked on.

Fabio

Quote from: Stubbsy on February 02, 2009, 10:50:29 AM
Is there going to be a way of a tunnel starting at one height, and ending at a different height, or going down then up again? I wasn't sure if it was going to happen in the new underground that is being worked on.

I'm afraid not, although i'd be more than glad to be wrong...

Stubbsy

ah that's a shame  :( a lot of the time i have needed something like that, instead i've had to waste thousands/million.

DirrrtyDirk

Well, Kieron said a while ago that he was working on all sorts of things for underground - including slopes. And that actually would allow level change, wouldn't it?

kierongreen

Yes I was working on something, but I've not got the time for such things at the moment :( Plan was to allow height changes though yes.

DirrrtyDirk

Take your time! "Just one day we might" is still enough for me right now.  ;)

sojo

Quote from: fabio on February 02, 2009, 08:48:48 AM
you can already do this, it's up to the pakset. i already made some for pak 128, i'll release them with the whole new railtracks set i'm working (now and then) for more than one year.
Can I choose which track or road is used?

prissi

THis should be dependent on the max_speed. At least this was the intention.

sojo

Simutrans will build the slowest road? Is this right?

prissi

Just checked: It uses the road at the entrace.

DirrrtyDirk

But only for a "full" tunnel. When you just build the entrance (CTRL-click) then only the first tile is the same as the outside road (or track). Anything you build by hand in underground mode will get painted as the cheapest track / road available (still with the correct tunnel speed, though).

prissi

Probably taking the way with the closest matching speed would be best then ...

Dwachs

.. or take the way as the same way, where the building process starts. Since building underground requires to start at an existing way this is also doable.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

But different tunnels have different speeds: Using a matching waytype would give indication. I think this was the purpose of this request.

The Hood

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 03, 2009, 11:12:53 PM
But only for a "full" tunnel. When you just build the entrance (CTRL-click) then only the first tile is the same as the outside road (or track). Anything you build by hand in underground mode will get painted as the cheapest track / road available (still with the correct tunnel speed, though).

This seems to be the issue - can the current behaviour be changed so that the way graphics in the tunnel are different for the different types of tunnel?  Matching to closest speed of above ground way would be one way, or maybe you could specify in the tunnel dat file "tunnel_graphics=foo" where foo is the name of a way object that would be used for the graphics?

prissi

Since tunnel are a special object, this should be easy to be done, as soon as I understood the cross reference reader ...

VS

Which has become a synonym for "never" :D

Making tunnels reference their "inner way" seems quite good solution; if someone wanted a tunnel with special inner graphics, a hidden way with system type invisible in menu would do that.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

I wanted to do something like this for pak 128...
How do system types work?

VS

Menuconf.tab has extensive comments with overview of way and system types; since you can now select toolbar parts to be composed from icons matching ways(waytype) or ways(waytype, system_type), you can filter out the unwanted ones etc.

# following waytypes are defined (for nearly everything)
# road_wt          =   1
# track_wt         =   2
# water_wt         =   3
# monorail_wt      =   5
# maglev_wt        =   6
# tram_wt          =   7
# narrowgauge_wt   =   8
# air_wt           =  16
# powerline_wt     = 128
#
# subtypes for ways(x,#)
# flat = 0
# elevated/runway = 1
# tram = 7 (only for track)
# special (eg. fence) = 255

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sojo

Or we need a new parameter in tunnel.dat.

F.e.: way-name: xyz --- If it is not defined than use it like it is yet.

Fabio

So can you make new/arbitrary system types to sort better the menu?

gauthier

I think waytypes of tunnels must depend of properties of the tunnel tool. For example with the default pak128 tunnel, the max speed is 280 km/h

z9999

[patch] underground way image

I wrote a patch for this.

New makeobj50 allows to refer to a way object, and tunnel tools use its images as underground ways images if there. ("way=")
It can use any way objects but to hide them from toolbar, I used "type_underground=64" in weg.h. If this number is bad, please change it.

New tunnel object is version 3, and node length is 1 byte larger to add "uint8 has_way".

Known problem:
Underground way still use sidewalk image. Currently I don't know hot to remove this. Should be removed sidewalk image or not ?

# for tunnel obj
obj=tunnel
way=dirt_road

# for road obj
system_type=64

gerw

Quote from: z9999 on February 14, 2009, 02:44:50 AM
Known problem:
Underground way still use sidewalk image. Currently I don't know hot to remove this. Should be removed sidewalk image or not ?
Then you have to define a new underground for tunnels. Otherwise it will be looking ugly...

gauthier

I haven't understood the way to make tunnels as you did :/  :-X  :-[

Fabio

AWESOME, Z9999, i'll use it!
i think the ground should be customizeable in tunnel pak (one ground image)

VS

gerw

Quote from: fabio on February 14, 2009, 10:33:49 AM
i think the ground should be customizeable in tunnel pak (one ground image)

I think, slopes in tunnels are coming ;) Therefore you need also 4 slopes.