News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

pak64 Internet Connection Test Only

Started by moblet, December 15, 2014, 04:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moblet

Greetings All,

I'm seeking to learn whether my internet connection can support hosting a game and have listed a server game as a test. Please try to play on the server and tell me how it performs.

Do not invest in building an empire in this game because it is not intended to be kept running for very long (especially if it performs poorly) and may be terminated at any time.

DrSuperGood

So far performance seems alright. I built a lot of big track sections over the map and did not get disconnected (commonly you are disconnected when building). They will be removed at the start of next month when the company is liquidated. The map is too small for an upload speed test.

moblet

...and the server machine decided to crash ten minutes after I went to bed last night.

Another player reported too many desyncs so the score is even for now. I just restarted the server with a 512x512 map, let's see how that goes.

DrSuperGood

Both AK and I agree the server is pretty stable (at 1 AM GMT at least). No Desyncs and I have remained connected for over half an hour. The RTT with your server is ~340ms as packets are crossing the US to get to you (EU <-> US <-> AUS). I believe you should have no problem running fully functional Simutrans servers on your connection.

The only concern is that you say the server crashed. You might need some form of automatic restart in place so that you can recover such hard to predict occurrences as well as an autosave to minimize losses.

moblet

Thanks muchly for that feedback.

There was nothing hard-to-predict about the server crash, it's a tiny laptop that struggles to keep its RAM cool and yesterday was a warm day. I won't be attempting to run "proper" games on that machine; the plan is to use an old desktop running Linux for the task, but I wasn't going to invest in setting that up if my internet connection wasn't going to support it.

moblet

Server game halted due to an "assertion failed" error and crashed on Retry. In accordance with the bug reporting instructions I have updated to the latest nightly (r7426 of the executable, there has been no update of the pakset). Game has resumed from its last autosave.

Screenshot of error message attached for those interested.

DrSuperGood

Is the error persisting? Or did migrating to nightly fix it? The message did not appear very helpful and so trying to get it re-creatable (if not fixed) is the next step to resolving it.

I know this is a bit much to ask but could you try running a game in JIT2 industry model mode for testing? JIT2 model was added post 120.0.1 and is having reasonably successful single player trials but I would like to know if it is possible to use in multiplayer. It is a massive revision to how industries order products, even if running in legacy mode so testing is important.

prissi

THis is related to defective memory since the only way to case it is the construction of a way with a waytype simutrans does not know about. Rather a fatal error here.

moblet

Quote from: prissi on December 16, 2014, 10:39:08 PM
THis is related to defective memory since the only way to case it is the construction of a way with a waytype simutrans does not know about. Rather a fatal error here.
That makes sense given that the laptop suffers the occasional memory-related BSOD.
Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 16, 2014, 10:12:16 PM
I know this is a bit much to ask but could you try running a game in JIT2 industry model mode for testing?
Happy to do so but as we are seeing my current "server" can generate errors all of its own. Up to you whether we post a game now or wait until I have a more reliable server in place.

DrSuperGood

When connecting with a custom build I think I may have discovered an error in the simutrans pakset checksum system lol. Yeh this is offtopic I am making a new thread about it now.

Anyway can connect to the server reliably and remain so for considerable time so looking good.

Fifty

I seem to be able to play without desyncing today, so I'd say your connection is adequate. Dunno what was going on yesterday; maybe I connected too soon after your server started and it was still lagging.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

moblet

Thanks everyone.

This experiment will be terminated and the server stopped sometime within the next eight hours. As the results have been adequate I will proceed with setting up a server using more suitable hardware.