News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

PakBritain - Releases and progress

Started by The Hood, February 03, 2009, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I've seen the oil wells - they're nicely done :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

This is what has been taking up my time (hence lack of progress in the last week!) - rivers!

jamespetts

Very lovely! Are those (and the new trees, and new tunnel entrances) going to make it onto the SVN anytime soon...? :-)

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

vilvoh

Good work! perhaps they need some rocks and vegetations on river shore, but the shape is perfect.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

The Hood

@jamespetts:
They will go on SVN once I've got the rivers appearing in the right place in public player menus - which may take a lot of annoyance with menuconf.tab etc...  I thought the trees were up on SVN, but I noticed that only the conifer was.  I'll update them at the same time.

@vilvoh:
slopes and springs have rocks, but I will investigate some extra vegetation on the banks.  Thing is I'm a bit rivered out at the minute, so it might have to wait!

The Hood

Latest progress:
- Road signals (hopefully you can work out which each one is!): One-way, No entry, Motorway, Choose Sign, Private Sign, Traffic Lights
- Two more road tunnels.

All the recent additions should be on sourceforge now in the SVN.  Note you will need to update simuconf.tab and menuconf.tab for the rivers to work properly.

jamespetts

Excellent - it is very encouraging to see the steady progress on PakBritain. Those look lovely, as ever. Incidentally, I was just looking through the simuconf.tab file, and noticed two significant non-standard settings: the station coverage of 4 (default 2) and the passenger level of 8 (default 16). Was there a particular reason for that...?

Edit: Incidentally, I have noticed a bug in the train depots: the introduction date of the newer train depot is given as 1810, which means that they are both available at all times. Perhaps something like 1962 would be suitable?

Edit 2: Also, I should mention: the rivers and oak trees really do look rather splendid in game.

Edit 3: Finally, was there a reason that you did not give retirement dates to the depots? I have added retirement dates in my version, and they work well. It is much better not being able to build the grubby old depot in 2010 ;-)

Edit 4: Another anomaly - the traffic lights and the no entry signs appear in the menus twice for some reason. Also, a number of the signs are duplicated by others from Pak128, but I think that they are bundled with something else necessary for PakBritain to work.

The Hood

Station coverage and passenger level are because I like to play on large maps with large cities, but don't want the uber-congestion from passenger level 16.  Essentially it zooms everything in a bit.  No other reason, and they should probably be changed back to defaults for releases.

Re: edit1/edit3: I keep forgetting to change these!
Re: edit4: delete the any other road signal paks you have (they probably have the same object name and the menu gets confused..., e.g. road_signs.all.pak is no longer needed.)

jamespetts

Ahh, excellent, yes, deleting that pak file solved the problem. As to passenger level - that is definitely a good reason for keeping it at a lower level. In fact, if PakBritain is all about simulating conditions in the UK, which is a very densely populated country, I suggest leaving the passenger level where it is, and increasing the default town size and number to simulate British conditions more accurately. The uber-congestion, as you call it, is something that I find quite a drag on gameplay. Indeed, one of the aims of Simutrans-Experimental is to control that somewhat.

As to the station coverage - interesting point about zooming things in. Do you think that there would be any benefit in having different levels of station coverage for different sorts of station, or do you not think that that would be worth it?

Edit: A further glitch - the "improved wooden sleeper" track seems to have been subsumed into "tram track": there seems to be an error in the wssri.dat file giving it the wrong name, which means that only the tram track shows. Also, all the retirement dates for different track types seem to have gone.

The Hood

Thanks for spotting those glitches - I'm really confused how they got there but I will fix them asap.  Keep the bug reports rolling!

As for station coverage etc, default settings can always be played to suit player style.  Increase in station coverage and map size trades off with decrease in passenger level.  For simutrans experimental, just find a combination that works.  For station coverage, I think that it would be good to have different coverages for stations relative to bus stops for example.  Very large railway stations could have larger still catchments.

VS

I think that the station coverage must be uniform because the activity comes from the other direction - passengers search for stations. I may be wrong though.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

Actually how far people will walk to reach public transport depends on what type of public transport (part of my job is about modelling this!) - people will not usually walk more than 500m to a bus stop but are prepared to walk much further (maybe 2km) to a train station (in the UK at least, but then here trains are generally seen as a good form of transport and buses are avoided unless absolutely necessary!).

VS

Oh well, but in the game it's all the same. Plus if you wanted to change that, you can have a station combined with bus stop, and afaik it only indicates whether it has route to target or not, but the kind is not so easily accessible. And it seems strange to toss away passengers only after they successfully find the stop.

Tunnels are nice - similar texture to the walls in city makes them look part of the wall, too.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Alex. Brose

Are the facades in GB really so dark?
But it fits great to the proximity.

I think some graphics could be more sharpen.

I'm looking forward to the release. :)

The Hood

Alex, I think it's to do with the clouds - the sun never gets through so it's dark  :D

Anyway, these should complete the depot timeline for bus and water:
- modern bus depot
- coach stables (really old bus depot!)
- old boatyard
- modern boatyard

jamespetts

I love those depots! The idea of a coach yard is particularly appealing! In SVN anytime soon...? :-)

Alex. Brose

Quote from: The Hood on March 19, 2009, 11:07:37 PM
Alex, I think it's to do with the clouds - the sun never gets through so it's dark  :D
You're not going to believe this, The Hood: This thought has crossed my mind.

Just carry on! :)

kierongreen

The Hood

Here are some road stops:
1st screenshot: basic bus stop with bench, old bus shelter, modern bus shelter, and a delivery bay with post box (handles goods and mail, low capacity).
2nd screenshot: old and modern higher capacity goods stops

I do hope to add som terminal bus stops at some stage, but I'd quite like to use some of the bits from Kieron's rail stations in them, and I don't have the sources yet, so I think that's it on road stops for now.

Everything up on SVN, including new depots and corrected retire years on track.

jamespetts

Very nice! This is some lovely progress...

Edit: On testing, I notice that none of the 'bus stops have introduction or retirement dates - is that intentional?

The Hood

Oh yeah, forgot to add those in after testing.  The post box and the basic bus stop are available all the time, the other two go in pairs and change over in 1950.

jamespetts

Here is what I have done with my copy:

Obj=building
Name=BusStop
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1700
intro_month=4
noconstruction=1
enables_pax=1
NoInfo=1
Dims=1,1,2
level=1
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=basic-bus-stop.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=basic-bus-stop.0.1
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=basic-bus-stop.0.2
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=basic-bus-stop.0.3
icon=> basic-bus-stop.0.5
cursor=basic-bus-stop.0.4
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=OldBusShelter
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1825
intro_month=6
retire_year=1952
retire_month=5
noconstruction=1
enables_pax=1
NoInfo=1
Dims=1,1,2
level=2
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=old-bus-shelter.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=old-bus-shelter.0.1
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=old-bus-shelter.0.2
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=old-bus-shelter.0.3
icon=> old-bus-shelter.0.5
cursor=old-bus-shelter.0.4
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=ModernBusShelter
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1952
intro_month=2
enables_pax=1
NoInfo=1
noconstruction=1
Dims=1,1,2
level=2
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=modern-bus-shelter.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=modern-bus-shelter.0.1
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=modern-bus-shelter.0.2
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=modern-bus-shelter.0.3
icon=> modern-bus-shelter.0.5
cursor=modern-bus-shelter.0.4
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=LoadingBay
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1700
intro_month=4
noconstruction=1
enables_post=1
enables_ware=1
NoInfo=1
Dims=1,1,2
level=1
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=loading-bay.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=-
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=loading-bay.0.1
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=-
icon=> loading-bay.0.2
cursor=loading-bay.0.1
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=OldCargoStop
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1825
intro_month=6
retire_year=1952
retire_month=5
Dims=1,1,4
enables_post=1
enables_ware=1
noconstruction=1
level=4
NoInfo=1
retire_year=1950
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.1.0
BackImage[3][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.0.1
FrontImage[3][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.1.1
BackImage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.0.2
FrontImage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.1.2
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.0.3
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-old.1.3
icon=> cargo-terminal-old.1.4
cursor=cargo-terminal-old.0.4
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=ModernCargoStop
# must be 1*1
type=stop
waytype=road
intro_year=1952
intro_month=2
Dims=1,1,4
enables_post=1
enables_ware=1
noconstruction=1
level=4
NoInfo=1
retire_year=1950
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.0.0
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.1.0
BackImage[3][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.0.1
FrontImage[3][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.1.1
BackImage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.0.2
FrontImage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.1.2
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.0.3
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=cargo-terminal-modern.1.3
icon=> cargo-terminal-modern.1.4
cursor=cargo-terminal-modern.0.4

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on February 03, 2009, 09:49:19 AM
Current progress is like this:
- British rail set - complete passenger and bulk goods timeline 1750-2010, patchy mail timeline 1830-2010, no other goods vehicles
- British tram set - complete tram set 1860-2010
- British bus set - only a handful of complete vehicles but some dats from Jamespetts
- Britsish citybuildings - town halls, some attractions, and citybuildings.  Completely playable but may lead to slightly monotonous cities with the timeline on.
- British industry set and goods set - works well without timeline on, but limited if you have timeline on.
- British grounds - complete set of graphically consistent grounds that match the rest of the pak.
- British rails and roads - several types of rail and two types of road - only one rail bridge so far and no tunnels.
- British stations - several types of rail station.

Future priorities are as follows, with the aim of getting a standalone release ready:
- Trees
- Fences
- Signals
- Electrification
- Ways for tram, canal, river.
- Depots for all transport types
- Bus stations, canal stations.

I think that some of the things in the "to do" need now to be moved to the "done" ;-)

The Hood

I'd forgotten I'd made a list in two threads!  I've removed the to-do list from this thread, and it's all now in the to-do list thread.

jamespetts

The Hood

Bus terminals old and modern...

jamespetts

Excellent! Ohh, the joys of concrete bunkers... ;-)

The Hood

Some canal quays (old and modern passenger, goods), and an old passenger and old goods docks.

Alex. Brose

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I'm wondering if you could add staircases to the old goods dock.
Or portals in the brick wall? :)

jamespetts

The Hood

Good idea Alex, I'll work on it.  I should say that the passenger building is mostly a re-rendered version of Kieron's rail station building dumped on top of a basic harbour layout I drew, just in case I was taking too much credit for that!  Good stuff should be used more than once in my opinion!

Edit: how's this look for the stairs?

kierongreen

Maybe some railings? Would it be possible to reduce the tiling artifacts with the textures?
But cool :)

The Hood

Kieron, I'll see what I can do to those.  In the meantime, several new bits:
-modern goods dock (suffers from same lack of railings!)
-modern passenger dock
-modern station extension building
-goods station with basic siding, crane, and fluid storage extension

VS

These docks are great! If I knew it would not break the looks even more, I'd steal them for "my set" on the spot.

jamespetts

*Drool* Excellent! I especially like the freight terminal... I can only imagine how good that the post office will look... ;-)