News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

PakBritain - Releases and progress

Started by The Hood, February 03, 2009, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex. Brose

The Hood

The dock now complies with health and safety regulations, and they have fitted railings to the staircase :)

jamespetts

Very nice! I notice that - realistically - you have only done this for the modern dock ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Actually it's also on the old dock, but it looks the same so only one screenshot.  Lots more goods station bits - here's two screenshots of an old and a modern goods station - see how many bits you can spot!

Regarding post office extensions, I'm not sure how to draw them.  Anyone got any good ideas?  Otherwise, I was thinking of allowing the passenger rail station extension buildings, and the generic warehouse extensions to also allow post.

jamespetts

Looking good - cunning re-use of graphics ;-) Perhaps, though, in order to avoid possible confusion with the depots, the colours could be changed a tad - perhaps red brick for the older ones, and, say, green or red doors for the newer ones?

As to post offices, perhaps something like this: http://fp.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/Ladykillers/images/large/Cheney_Road.jpg ?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Alex. Brose

By the way, The Hood... Don't forget red call boxes for the townscape.

kierongreen

The Hood

Cunning re-use of graphics is very much in at the minute... (a goods way of producing things quickly with graphical consistency!!!)

Some more cunning re-use of graphics (I'm getting a bit carried away with making stations, but never mind...)
- Country station extension building
- Modern small station extension building
- Wooden station (developed from a blend Kieron made but never finished - hope that's OK Kieron!)

jamespetts

I love those! A modern post office could easily be just like the modern station extension, with different colours...

micslu

Shouldn't there be pubs with kegs lying around next the stations  :D
Looking forward to more impressive stuffs!

The Hood

Here are the post offices and also powerlines.  The transformers are actually new, but the powerlines are a shameless rip off from pak128 (with credits of course!) with some messing around with the colours to make them fit pakBritain better.  All the stations are now in SVN (powerlines aren't yet).

jamespetts

I like!

Edit: There is a missing file from the SVN - ../stations/concrete-platform-cursor.png.

Edit 2: Also missing from the SVN are the intermediate era stations - the ones with the green canopies, in between your new wooden stations and the existing concrete stations (which both are in the SVN). Also - should a station extension building really have the same capacity as a single platform tile? Should it not have a higher capacity?

The Hood

Thanks for the bug reports - I knew I'd miss some!  Which files are missing in your edit 2?  I think they are all there...

Regarding capacities, I didn't think much about them, so if you want to propose some values that can be one of your non-graphical contributions to the set :)

jamespetts

Oops - I realised that the second edit related to my mistake in not copying a file. Edit 1 is still correct. And I'll bear that in mind about the station capacities - I think that I'll probably work on pakset balancing generally (using PakBritain-Experimental, but much of the work could easily be backported into PakBritain-Standard) when testing the new revenue model.

The Hood

I was hoping to steal the smokes from pak128 but apparently these haven't got open source permission, so I'm drawing my own.  How about these?  (they may also get used in pak128 too, subject to VS's approval!)

jamespetts

Very nice - I like the shape! Could they be just a tad darker? (I assume that the locomotive was going very fast when that picture was taken - how would it look if the locomotive was going more slowly with your smoke shapes?)

The Hood

It looks like this:

jamespetts

The Hood

Very hard to draw smoke like that in simutrans!  I've changed the alignment slightly, which should make it better, but it's always going to be "blobby" at speed with the frequency that smoke is created in the game.  I've also done diesel smokes.

jamespetts

Actually, the picture was supposed to be a compliment, as it was very close! Ahh, that diesel one is nice. You might need a slightly thicker one for the Deltic, though ;-)

vilvoh

Are you using Blender or are you drawing it by hand? to get a realistic smoke, I suggest you to use Blender particle system.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

The Hood

That was hand-drawn.  Where is the particle thingy in blender?  Sounds useful...

vilvoh

Have a look at these links:

It's pretty easy. You create an particle emiter, set up the amount, speed, life-time, etc..and then bake the animation.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

kierongreen

Of course reusing unfinished blends is fine! :)

Progress looks good :)

VS

I got permission for the smokes... /happy dance

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

Oh OK, that's cool.  Seeing as I have done smokes anyway, which ones do people think are best for pakBritain?  I can pre-release the sources for my smokes if people want to test?

jamespetts

I have to say, I quite like The Hood's, especially the diesel one.

The Hood

Quieter week on PakBritain development, but still time for some modern airport bits (planes courtesy of Zeno's plane pak, not pakBritain planes yet!)

jamespetts

The Hood

Now you can build big ugly concrete monstrosity stations in pakBritain, meaning you can replicate the architectural delights of Birmingham New Street, Euston and Heathrow Airport...

jamespetts

Ugly concrete monstrosities - excellent! I wondered what you'd been working on all this time... And they all look more or less the same - very realistic!

The Hood

Actually I've not had quite so much time recently, so that's why things have slowed down.  I've got a few other things to do, plus it's nearly summer so more time outside and away from the computer!  I'll still be working on things though, just not as fast.

And the reason they all look the same is they essentially are the same :)

jamespetts

Ahh, well, they're good in any case. Any chance of an SVN upload any time soon? And do excuse me if I secretly hope for a very wet summer... ;-)

The Hood

An art deco-inspired station building in airport, dock, and station guises.  The airport also has a grass runway and taxiway, and an old-style hangar.  I think that should just about do it for airports and stations in general for now :)

jamespetts

Very nice indeed! That looks like a lot of work went into it. Any chance of an SVN update any time soon?