News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Modern Vehicles

Started by The Hood, December 16, 2014, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotRail170434

Is it possible to get a Class 320 for this as well as ScotRail options for 156 and 158 and 318 in SPT Carmine

jamespetts

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 14, 2020, 10:19:25 PM
Is it possible to get a Class 320 for this as well as ScotRail options for 156 and 158 and 318 in SPT Carmine

Possible, certainly, if somebody has the time to make one and sees that as a priority.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 15, 2020, 12:34:51 AM
Possible, certainly, if somebody has the time to make one and sees that as a priority.

Pity I couldn't get the sources to paint some of my own.

Mariculous

There they are! https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain

Feel free to fork, paint the liveries, commit and push and start a pull request.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Freahk on January 16, 2020, 08:21:44 PM
There they are! https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain

Feel free to fork, paint the liveries, commit and push and start a pull request.

How do you compile the paks after getting dats and pngs

Mariculous

You will need makeobj for simutrans-extended to compile. Someone uploaded a compiled version of it somewhere but can't remember where it was.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Freahk on January 16, 2020, 10:35:16 PM
You will need makeobj for simutrans-extended to compile. Someone uploaded a compiled version of it somewhere but can't remember where it was.

What's the script?

jamespetts

The Python script is not the easiest thing to use, and I have now discontinued using it in favour of make. I just use Git BASH to run the Linux makefile.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 16, 2020, 11:09:20 PM
The Python script is not the easiest thing to use, and I have now discontinued using it in favour of make. I just use Git BASH to run the Linux makefile.

How do you program it to compile the paks?

jamespetts

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 16, 2020, 11:20:04 PM
How do you program it to compile the paks?

One does not program it - one simply issues the command "make".

More specifically, in Git BASH change to the directory in which the pakset sources are located. The makefile will already be present. Type "make clean; make -j5". The initial "make clean" will remove any old copy of the pakset. Adding "-j5" will enable multi-threading for a four thread system (one main thread that does not do much, and four worker threads). The latter is not essential, but will make the process faster if you have a multi-core system.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 17, 2020, 12:31:42 AM
One does not program it - one simply issues the command "make".

More specifically, in Git BASH change to the directory in which the pakset sources are located. The makefile will already be present. Type "make clean; make -j5". The initial "make clean" will remove any old copy of the pakset. Adding "-j5" will enable multi-threading for a four thread system (one main thread that does not do much, and four worker threads). The latter is not essential, but will make the process faster if you have a multi-core system.

Keeps failing when I try.

Is it possible to get a detailed description on what to do? As I think I'm getting it wrong.

Leartin

"make" is not automatically included in gitbash, so under windows, assuming you already installed git as a first step, you need to go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/, download "make-4.1-2-without-guile-w32-bin.zip" and copy the (extracted) contents into your git/mingw64 directory - without replacing files so just skip anything already there. [At least that's how I did it recently]
Once that is done, the command "make" should be available to you.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Leartin on January 17, 2020, 06:17:37 AM
"make" is not automatically included in gitbash, so under windows, assuming you already installed git as a first step, you need to go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/, download "make-4.1-2-without-guile-w32-bin.zip" and copy the (extracted) contents into your git/mingw64 directory - without replacing files so just skip anything already there. [At least that's how I did it recently]
Once that is done, the command "make" should be available to you.

Thanks for the help! I'm still unsure how to compile the dat and png files and where to move them etc so I can compile them.

Matthew

Hang on, I think that people may be talking about different things here. ::(

A makefile is only needed if you want to compile a whole pakset (as James does on Bridgewater-Brunel) or make your own binary. If Standard works in the same way as Extended, then ScotRail170434 doesn't need to do any of that.

I imagine that ScotRail170434 just wants to make .pak files for the vehicles they have changed. All you need for this is the makeobj program. The makeobj for 120.4 is here for Linux and  here for Windows. (Prissi usually provides the current stable makeobj in the first post in the 'Download Simutrans' forum.)

Put the makeobj(.exe) file in the same directory as the .dat and .png files and run this:

makeobj pak128

The .pak files should now appear in the same directory.

ScotRail, if you are wanting to use the vehicles in Extended, then you will need a different makeobj and possibly directory structure, in which case please let us know.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Matthew on January 17, 2020, 07:46:33 AM
Hang on, I think that people may be talking about different things here. ::(

A makefile is only needed if you want to compile a whole pakset (as James does on Bridgewater-Brunel) or make your own binary. If Standard works in the same way as Extended, then ScotRail170434 doesn't need to do any of that.

I imagine that ScotRail170434 just wants to make .pak files for the vehicles they have changed. All you need for this is the makeobj program. The makeobj for 120.4 is here for Linux and  here for Windows. (Prissi usually provides the current stable makeobj in the first post in the 'Download Simutrans' forum.)

Put the makeobj(.exe) file in the same directory as the .dat and .png files and run this:

makeobj pak128

The .pak files should now appear in the same directory.

ScotRail, if you are wanting to use the vehicles in Extended, then you will need a different makeobj and possibly directory structure, in which case please let us know.

It's extended.

Matthew

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 17, 2020, 08:03:57 AM
It's extended.

In that case, you can find the Linux makeobj-extended here and the Windows .exe here. Place this in the same directory as the .dat file.

Simutrans-Extended normally expects the images to be in a subdirectory. For example, the Class 156 images are in the 'railcars' subdirectory:

So put the .png files in the subdirectory specified in your .dat file. Then open a command prompt (in Windows Explorer, shift+right click in an empty area of the folder) or terminal (Linux) in the main directory and run

makeobj-extended pak128

The .pak file should appear in that directory. So the end result should look something like this:

P.S. James, could you consider amending Step 5 of your otherwise excellent Step-by-step Tutorial along these lines? Recompiling the whole pakset is a very sensible way for you to run the Bridgewater-Brunel server, but it requires scripting Python (and possible Make?), which just adds an extra layer of considerable complexity for us newbies (who are struggling with Blender and .dat files at the same time). And of course it slows down the process (well, unless you are lucky enough to have a Threadripper and an SSD  ;D ). What we need is to be able to see any makeobj error messages that relate to the pak we are working on.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Matthew on January 17, 2020, 11:55:28 AM
In that case, you can find the Linux makeobj-extended here and the Windows .exe here. Place this in the same directory as the .dat file.

Simutrans-Extended normally expects the images to be in a subdirectory. For example, the Class 156 images are in the 'railcars' subdirectory:

So put the .png files in the subdirectory specified in your .dat file. Then open a command prompt (in Windows Explorer, shift+right click in an empty area of the folder) or terminal (Linux) in the main directory and run

makeobj-extended pak128

The .pak file should appear in that directory. So the end result should look something like this:

P.S. James, could you consider amending Step 5 of your otherwise excellent Step-by-step Tutorial along these lines? Recompiling the whole pakset is a very sensible way for you to run the Bridgewater-Brunel server, but it requires scripting Python (and possible Make?), which just adds an extra layer of considerable complexity for us newbies (who are struggling with Blender and .dat files at the same time). And of course it slows down the process (well, unless you are lucky enough to have a Threadripper and an SSD  ;D ). What we need is to be able to see any makeobj error messages that relate to the pak we are working on.

Vehicles don't seem to be showing up in SPT (318/314)

The units I've edited don't appear to be showing up in Extended despite being copied to the correct directory.

Mariculous

So you have either copied the wrong files or pasted it to the wrong destination.

What did you try?

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Freahk on January 17, 2020, 06:11:05 PM
So you have either copied the wrong files or pasted it to the wrong destination.

What did you try?

Moved it into pak 128 ex.
Run command prompt in Makeobj extended.

jamespetts

In order to be able to give any meaningful feedback on where the problem might be, we are going to need you to tell us in detail precisely what you did at every step, and precisely what response that you are getting at every step. Without you doing so (and you should be taking the initiative to do this), none of us will have any prospect of having any idea what the problem is.

Matthew - I generally recommend that people do simply automatically recompile the pakset with every addition, as this is by far the easier way of doing it. Otherwise, one has to issue a custom command for each different specific .dat file, then copy the individual resulting .pak file to the relevant directory manually, then manually copy and paste any changed translation texts: that is far too much work for something that is likely to have to be done over and over again. I have set up my automation script so that it automatically puts all the files in the correct directory, so all that I ever need to do is issue the compile command and wait for it to finish.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 18, 2020, 12:11:49 AM
In order to be able to give any meaningful feedback on where the problem might be, we are going to need you to tell us in detail precisely what you did at every step, and precisely what response that you are getting at every step. Without you doing so (and you should be taking the initiative to do this), none of us will have any prospect of having any idea what the problem is.

Matthew - I generally recommend that people do simply automatically recompile the pakset with every addition, as this is by far the easier way of doing it. Otherwise, one has to issue a custom command for each different specific .dat file, then copy the individual resulting .pak file to the relevant directory manually, then manually copy and paste any changed translation texts: that is far too much work for something that is likely to have to be done over and over again. I have set up my automation script so that it automatically puts all the files in the correct directory, so all that I ever need to do is issue the compile command and wait for it to finish.

Problem addressed - had to reinstall pak128

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on January 18, 2020, 12:11:49 AM

We are obviously going to have agree to disagree. I guess the issue looks different from newbie and project lead perspectives. Thank you for taking the time to explain your thinking.  :thumbsup:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please remember not to double-post when it is not necessary. When you make a new comment in 30-60 minutes after your last in particular, edit your post pretty please. I merged a couple of double-posts in this thread.

ScotRail170434

Could we please have a Class 156 and 320 to complete the Strathclyde units? Thanks.

jamespetts

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 18, 2020, 10:11:00 PM
Could we please have a Class 156 and 320 to complete the Strathclyde units? Thanks.

Of course, if anyone would like to volunteer to make them, I should be happy to include them. (We already have a class 156 in Regional Railways livery, so I assume that you are simply referring to adding a Strathclyde livery?)

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 18, 2020, 10:39:39 PM
Of course, if anyone would like to volunteer to make them, I should be happy to include them. (We already have a class 156 in Regional Railways livery, so I assume that you are simply referring to adding a Strathclyde livery?)

Yes.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 18, 2020, 11:00:31 PM
Yes.

Blend files don't seem to be working for Railcars

Could I please get an up to date tutorial on using Blender to create addons? Thanks.

Spenk009

Check the Extended post here. Additionally, some components can be sourced from the "components" folder in the Blends Repository. Many other things you'll need to learn from tutorials on other websites. It takes a while to grow comfortable with the workflow, but it is possible.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I do not understand what you mean when you refer to .blend files not working.

Also, can I check which version of Blender that you are using? The latest version, 2.80, is not compatible with the Pak128.Britain-Ex workflow; but the earlier version (2.79) is easily available.

Edit: I have modified the tutorial to make reference to the need to use Blender version 2.79, available here.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 21, 2020, 06:22:04 PM
I am afraid that I do not understand what you mean when you refer to .blend files not working.

Also, can I check which version of Blender that you are using? The latest version, 2.80, is not compatible with the Pak128.Britain-Ex workflow; but the earlier version (2.79) is easily available.

Edit: I have modified the tutorial to make reference to the need to use Blender version 2.79, available here.

The render comes out back. Any reason why?

jamespetts

Quote from: ScotRail170434 on January 21, 2020, 08:58:04 PM
The render comes out back. Any reason why?

Not without vastly more detail as to precisely what you did and what version that you are using, I am afraid.

ScotRail170434

Quote from: jamespetts on January 21, 2020, 10:13:09 PM
Not without vastly more detail as to precisely what you did and what version that you are using, I am afraid.

V 2.79

Mariculous

How exactly did you do "V 2.79"?

ScotRail170434

Quote from: Freahk on January 22, 2020, 12:37:40 AM
How exactly did you do "V 2.79"?

I'm using Blender Version 2.79 and when I do a render preview the vehicle pngs render with no colour.

Rollmaterial

You need to make all the layers visible before rendering.