News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Bored programmer

Started by Markohs, December 28, 2014, 06:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markohs

I'm just bored and I fancy coding, for some time.

Simutrans player, what new feature whould you like to be in the game? It can be a small detail, or a big one. :)

Let's talk about it. I promise coding and incorporaing it into the game as long as prissi and the rest of developers allow me to got into our game. :)

This can be some aspect of the game you find disgusting, or boring, or limited. Something you don't like on the game and you feel like it needs to be improved or added.  Our current coders do an excelent job in keeping our game stable and working, I'm asking you for something new. I'm not an artist, just a coder, ask me for something our pak creators/mantainers can't do.

Go ahead. Discuss. Or it's the game perfect as it is?

colonyan

EDIT: Most of thing here can circumvented or not so important as current game mechanism is mostly working fine. But I see what it could be better and
          potentially opens up new possibilities.

Well, first of all, industry chain placement handling. Often, they can be too high densely positioned. I want to see some better way to handle that.

Second. Game got residential, commercial and industrial city building but they are purely aesthetic. They surely have different pass/mail distribution but
I firmly believe no one actually care about it and treat them as same city building. Game could use some new mechanism on that.

Third. I want to cities to behave, that means grows different manner one from another. They ALL share same rules.

Fourth. Game mechanism wise consistent city car. What about them being more seriously have meaning and treated as something to be respected in stead of
some clash-able bug?

I hurried an enumerated few but those are my current urges about simutrans.

Markohs

Ellaborate more, please.I'd love to see your ideas. Abouth fourth it's hard to adress that if we don't have mechanisms like Simcity has related to way density.

EDIT: Third is iinteresting, I see it is a growth factor, how whould you model than? I see it as multiplier  (100% is normal growth rate), how whould you'd decide wich cities grow faster that that rate and wich ones grow slower?

EDIT2: Abuth first suggestion, whound't it be better fo focus it on not just a city industrial demand, but a global zone industrial demand? To spread intustiries more, and to have a cap on how much a "world" needs. Why can't multiple small cities spawn industry chains? Why does a big city spawn so many industries?

colonyan

Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 08:07:17 AM
Ellaborate more, please.I'd love to see your ideas. Abouth fourth it's hard to adress that if we don't have mechanisms like Simcity has related to way density.
I'm currently trying to wrap up my ideas. It's been nearly two years since last time I posted anything here... (minecraft, simcity2013, rts, turnbased games)
and yet I came back... I will be posting within next few hours.

Markohs

Quote from: colonyan on December 28, 2014, 08:11:43 AM
I'm currently trying to wrap up my ideas. It's been nearly two years since last time I posted anything here... (minecraft, simcity2013, rts, turnbased games)
and yet I came back... I will be posting within next few hours.

It's a shame Simcity 2013 is limited to so small zones, I bought that game too, to test it. It's very interesting, but it's bad, compared to Cimcity 4, imho. Graphics are *REALLY* cool, imho. I really love that modular buildings too. And the agent idea is pretty cool too, in the game engine, but looks like it's not scaling  good enough. It's a shame Simutrans is so different to that game, the only aspect of the game I can see applicable to that, it's tree forests.

colonyan

More and more I play simutrans, more and more I believe that simutrans is ultimate simcity.
Simutransians build them selves. In simcity, you had to manage fire, police, health and education but those were all illusion of governance.
In any non direct construction game (simcity: zoning and road network, simutrans: transportation) all it matter is
SIZE and Freedom of Map. Freedom is how much you can freely interact with things you can not control directly such as actual development)

Maybe this is from because of my perception but when I really enjoy is... current look of development of the map I'm playing on.
Combination of what I've done directly(network size/shape/function/efficiency) and what's done indirectly (city rule city development).
As long as game kept providing new scenery, it kept amuse me.
Similar to minecraft. Minecraft first provides player with (world, block types, tools, items, etc) and achieve directly (buildings and construct also wealth accumulation).

well simcity2013 all it was wrong about is maxis didn't understood what people really found fun. No perfect simulation was
really necessary. or it was less important than player can create city scape in large scale. Other than that, it was city tycoon.

Ok, back to brain storming...

colonyan

Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 08:07:17 AM
EDIT2: Abuth first suggestion, whound't it be better fo focus it on not just a city industrial demand, but a global zone industrial demand? To spread intustiries more, and to have a cap on how much a "world" needs. Why can't multiple small cities spawn industry chains? Why does a big city spawn so many industries?

This could be more like originating from pak setting and config setting. It could be also very subjective to determine if it feel odd/clamped about the positioning of the industry. But I can say that industry buildings shouldn't spawn like bubble manner. Its really.... not natural. Feels very artificial to me. All industry chain should use map space fully.

=Frame of Idea=
In any country, some place is more affluent than other. Wealth is not distributed equally. Some cities end up being mediocre, some will grow , not only large but wealthy.
In certain city group, certain cities will be more like residential suburb, other will be industrial power house. Cities will be different and thus the how player should serve them.
But game will provide hint on what they will become based on historical building such as palace, cathedral, school, temple, lord castle/mansion, craftsman guild and surrounding environment.

This was an example. But in generally I want chain industry and city RCI buildings to interact more closely together to create more varied behavior instead of a series of same cities of
different initial population. I will come back again and post more concrete ideas.

Ters

Industrial placement is also something I find lacking. There is a long discussion on this topic somewhere on this board.

Spenk009

Something like http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10235.0?

Industry placement is too random. Naturally some industries are placed strategically (higher skilled factories in cities, power stations near cities, lower skilled factories near rivers, etc.)

If the code would support industries to have flags set in terms of proximity to features like cities, forests (all the wood industry), water, and/or mountainous areas, we could have industries where they would be expected. Additionally, this can be expanded into the attractions when specific buildings want specific places.

gauthier

automatic spacing of convoys along a line or any mecanism to avoid stupid bunching ... this would be useful ;)
It has been discussed in a thread about comparing ST and OTTD so you will find ideas there to implement a such idea.

Leartin

Quote from: colonyan on December 28, 2014, 07:24:07 AM
Second. Game got residential, commercial and industrial city building but they are purely aesthetic. They surely have different pass/mail distribution but
I firmly believe no one actually care about it and treat them as same city building. Game could use some new mechanism on that.

Third. I want to cities to behave, that means grows different manner one from another. They ALL share same rules.

How about linking the spawn of city industry and tourist attractions to the three areas, and vice versa? Some ideas how this could work:

• Place city industry next to industrial city buildings, tourist attractions next to commercial city buildings
  • Allow the city industry/city attractions to specify where they spawn (which zone)
  • If there is a city industry, build more industry building. If there is a city attraction, build more commercial.
  • Allow attractions to be buildt based on number of inhabitants per zone, not total. Same for city industry (so a giant shopping mall won't appear in a small village)
  • Decide which kind of building to build before the placement (I think right now a spot is chosen, then an appropriate building for that spot. This would not work with most ideas here)
  • Link city building rules to zone, so different zones may behave differently when building the city.

About those who complain about too small simcity, ever heard of this? https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

Ters

Quote from: gauthier on December 28, 2014, 11:39:19 AM
automatic spacing of convoys along a line or any mecanism to avoid stupid bunching ... this would be useful ;)
It has been discussed in a thread about comparing ST and OTTD so you will find ideas there to implement a such idea.

Might not be a good idea for a programming task, since there is no agreement on how such a thing should work. (Or maybe not even that it can work.)

The Hood

Here's another idea. Change the code for "civic" buildings like hospitals schools parks etc which are coded as attractions at present. In a real city the number if schools depends on population so bigger cities have more. In simutrans the city can build the attraction once per city as long as the population exceeds a minimum value. I'd like to assign each civic building to a type (like City building clusters now) and the City would build a new building from that type every so many people e.g. Every 5000 population. That way a large City could build more parks and schools than a small one.

killwater

There is a nice, old challenge awaiting - real two lane ways with working intersections. Just saying.

Other than that I second the better industry placing algorithm with a little addition of clustering raw materials industries like mines in some areas simulating mineral deposits locations as mentioned in other threads.

gauthier

Quote from: Ters on December 28, 2014, 12:04:03 PM
Might not be a good idea for a programming task, since there is no agreement on how such a thing should work. (Or maybe not even that it can work.)
So let's find an agreement now :D

jamespetts

If you fancy a change from working on Standard, here is a list of outstanding projects for Experimental. Even one or two of those should keep you busy for the duration.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

How about a List of Monuments, or being able to see monuments in the List of Tourist Attractions.  Does anyone know why these are handled so differently in the code?

Ters

Quote from: wlindley on December 28, 2014, 02:19:02 PM
How about a List of Monuments, or being able to see monuments in the List of Tourist Attractions.  Does anyone know why these are handled so differently in the code?

Monuments are made to honor contributors, and are globally unique, probably so that they everyone will eventually be equally honored. Tourist attractions are just unique within a town, if even that.

jamespetts

One useful set of changes for Standard would be to alter the way in which road stops work to allow vehicles to overtake stationary vehicles waiting at the stops, and to allow terminal road stops to accommodate two vehicles at once, rather than only one as at present.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 06:49:13 AM
This gonna be good.

* IgorEliezer grabs popcorn.

DrSuperGood

I would advise revising either growth or adding a convoy type list with planner.

Markohs

Wow lots of nice ideas! The two lane avenue... I forgot about that one! I think it ended in nothing, maybe it's time to see why it was abandoned. Industrial placement is also a nice task to improve, or even taking a feature from experimental to starndard. I'll think about all of this. :)

What I maybe see as more feasible is the industrial placement, and the item menctioned about monuments, let's see.

I also like james comment on vehicles at stops.

Sarlock

A bit different than the list provided so far:

Adding alpha channel to graphics.  It would give the graphics a light year advance and would make the game look amazing with an alpha channel enabled pakset.  Paksets like pak128.Britain could be very quickly converted to add the alpha channel as it is all 3D renders - just have to re-render each graphical item and compile as a 32 bit PNG = 24-bit+8-bit alpha.

Add a box to Options to enable alpha channel (for those people who have systems that can't/won't handle the extra processor load) and then go nuts... you'd probably have to drop the low level assembly stuff with this option enabled, though I think it has been shown that it has little impact on modern processors anyhow.

Not sure how hard it is to implement, but it would be an amazing visual addition to the game.  Especially for road vehicles and trees.  I'm drooling just thinking about it :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

Quote from: Sarlock on December 28, 2014, 08:26:42 PM

Adding alpha channel to graphics.  It would give the graphics a light year advance and would make the game look amazing with an alpha channel enabled pakset.  Paksets like pak128.Britain could be very quickly converted to add the alpha channel as it is all 3D renders - just have to re-render each graphical item and compile as a 32 bit PNG = 24-bit+8-bit alpha.

It would kill performance unless Simutrans is pretty much remade from the beginning.

Add a box to Options to enable alpha channel (for those people who have systems that can't/won't handle the extra processor load) and then go nuts...

That won't work. Graphics made with alpha channel would look like crap without alpha blending. Even checking whether the switch is on or off can kill performance.

Yona-TYT

Add a box to Options to enable alpha channel (for those people who have systems that can't/won't handle the extra processor load) and then go nuts... you'd probably have to drop the low level assembly stuff with this option enabled, though I think it has been shown that it has little impact on modern processors anyhow.

Not sure how hard it is to implement, but it would be an amazing visual addition to the game.  Especially for road vehicles and trees.  I'm drooling just thinking about it :)

I agree with you ... it's an excellent idea !!

But I believe that hardware acceleration is needed, right ?.

jamespetts

Won't anybody think of the pakset maintainers? It'd take months to re-render all of the Pak128.Britain .blends...

colonyan

"industry_increase_every ="
Instead of counting up for every single city, how about making it a global?
Increase industry (final consumer) every 2000 population as whole map? Also possibly add additional counter like X+nY.
2000, 2100, 2200, 2300, 2400.
_____
Also how about determine total map consumption from population base?
Let's suppose each 1k population consume 1point worth of freight every month.
Next determine how much this 1point would worth.
For example, 500t of coal consumption could be 1point. (Not counting power station)
Game will generate, for each 1k population increase, 1point worth of new consumption line.
1point can be determined by pak designer as anything. It could be 1000L wine or 10 vehicle.

EDIT-ADD:
Also allow more smaller increment per consuming freight type. If gas station sells fuel,
allow it to increase 100L increment. Up to pak designer's chosen building max capacity.

jamespetts

Something similar has been in Experimental since about 2010; look for "industry_density_proportion" in the code.

colonyan

Quote from: jamespetts on December 28, 2014, 08:54:41 PM
Something similar has been in Experimental since about 2010; look for "industry_density_proportion" in the code.
Is this per population freight consumption? Is it helping controlling the build up of industries?

jamespetts

Quote from: colonyan on December 28, 2014, 08:58:22 PM
Is this per population freight consumption? Is it helping controlling the build up of industries?

It is population per 1/[industry density], where [industry density] is the sum of the distributionweight of all industries on the map.

dschr

Hey,

as James already stated: there are many open projects at simutrans experimental and i am sure that you could achieve a lot here. I did some testing in the past and would offer you to test your code as well as to introduce you to the current projects if you'd like to.

An_dz

There's a request everybody has made but nobody has done. Change transformers from special type to building. It's really simple but nobody has got the time for it, maybe you could do it now before going into those adventurous tasks.

Quote from: jamespetts on December 28, 2014, 01:31:22 PM
If you fancy a change from working on Standard, here is a list of outstanding projects for Experimental. Even one or two of those should keep you busy for the duration.
Cleaver move James. ;)

Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 08:17:09 AM
And the agent idea is pretty cool too, in the game engine, but looks like it's not scaling  good enough.
It's because it's broken, a guy has proven that the citizen agents don't have a true home or job, they simply go to the nearest non-full. This leads to impossible to solve traffic jams and completely inefficient public transportation.

isidoro

Not so large projects I would like to see (in no particular order):

• A spreadsheet-like view of the vehicle available in the depot when buying.  One row for each kind of vehicle, one column for each kind of property.  Sorting data available for any column
  • A way to incorporate meta-data in height maps so that placement of cities, for instance, could be added from real place data.
  • An option that allow buses not to stop in a stop if there are no people waiting there and there is no passenger in the bus waiting to leave the bus in that station.  That would mean that buses could be more competitive in urban lines.
Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 05:40:42 PM
Wow lots of nice ideas! The two lane avenue... I forgot about that one! I think it ended in nothing, maybe it's time to see why it was abandoned.
[...]

I was involved in that project and I thought and think that it is not as hard as it is believed to be.  However, I desisted when I got tired of fighting against the establishment.  Too much effort to risk, too much negative feedback, no constructive help, and a foreseeable small probability to get that work incorporated...

Yona-TYT

Quote from: isidoro on December 29, 2014, 01:43:07 AM

• An option that allow buses not to stop in a stop if there are no people waiting there and there is no passenger in the bus waiting to leave the bus in that station.  That would mean that buses could be more competitive in urban lines.

I would assign a timeout (customizable) at stops. :thumbsup:

TurfIt

Industrial placement is also a nice task to improve
Fourth vote for this! Current personal annoyances with:
  Entire chains packed into very small areas. A 256x256 is no longer huge - spread out.
  Pax boost mechanic has a fixed pax demand. Placement code doesn't take this into account - frequently spawns industry in areas without enough population to support the boost.
  Better balance of supply/demand. Too many times end up with a single 300/month coal mine as the sole coal supplier on the map. 3/4 of the industries sit idle awaiting coal, and yet the next coal demanding industry spawns linked to that same ^&*^&*^ mine again! (This seems a bug, yet last I looked the code looked ok, but it still happens...)

Wow lots of nice ideas! The two lane avenue... I forgot about that one! I think it ended in nothing, maybe it's time to see why it was abandoned.
Very much not abandoned, just bumped down the queue a bit. Has performance implications, hence working to improve the performance first so ideally we end up even. But on again / off again progress, too easily distracted by shiny things...

Yona-TYT

Another one for the list .. !! ;)

Zoom on the cursor position for the mini map.

jamespetts

I was involved in that project and I thought and think that it is not as hard as it is believed to be.  However, I desisted when I got tired of fighting against the establishment.  Too much effort to risk, too much negative feedback, no constructive help, and a foreseeable small probability to get that work incorporated...

Would you like to work on this for Experimental?

Quote from: An_dz on December 29, 2014, 12:54:43 AM
It's because it's broken, a guy has proven that the citizen agents don't have a true home or job, they simply go to the nearest non-full. This leads to impossible to solve traffic jams and completely inefficient public transportation.

The real problem with the agent simulation, from what I can reasonably deduce having spent time working on Simutrans-Experimental, is that it is too computationally intensive to be workable. This explains both the extremely small maps (as computational intensity would increase with the square of the map area on average) and also the fudging that you describe: the reason that each individual citizen does not have a specific home or workplace is that this would consume large amounts of memory (and, probably more importantly, memory bandwidth) for them all to remember their individual homes and offices. In programming terms, it would be easy for them to have had individual homes and offices (and it seems reasonable to guess that they did in early, pre-release versions).

I recall the work that I did trying to implement private car route finding for Experimental. The initial approach was to have each city find the optimum route every other city, one city at a time using the A* method. The result of this was that the game became totally unresponsive for an indefinite period, as this task was far too extreme a computational load to be manageable even with modern computers. The problem was solved in the end by using Dijekstra's algorithm to find every destination city in the same searching pass from each origin city. This sort of generalised solution would not, however, work with the original idea for the pure agent model in SimCity: each agent would have to act independently and find routes to all sorts of places, and there would have to be thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of them, all doing this at the same time. It was only a few hundred cities that caused unacceptable performance in previous versions of Simutrans-Experimental.

Simutrans works well on a large scale because of its use of a mix of low level agent modelling for passengers, goods and vehicles, and higher level statistical modelling for other aspects of the game.

Ters

Quote from: TurfIt on December 29, 2014, 02:40:06 AM
  Entire chains packed into very small areas. A 256x256 is no longer huge - spread out.

Strange. I have the opposite problem: Chains spanning the entire map, making them unexploitable until quite late in the game due to prohibitive infrastructure costs. And even when the infrastructure is in place, the flow of goods can't possibly be stable due to the long time between ordering and delivery. (The problem JIT2 attempts to solve.)

In fact, keeping some industries close together was a wish when discussing more realistic placement of industries, was it not?

rainer

Quote from: Markohs on December 28, 2014, 06:49:13 AM

WOW!

This a really seldom statement from a programmer! Grats! : - )

First of all, I have to praise all the exiting improvements of the last years - and the even more
tiny small improvements I sometimes missed to see in the changes.log, but stumbled over
them while playing. : - )

So here are my praises and maaaaaaaany thanks to the dev-team! Shall the new year be good
to you and your creativity!

(Just a small wish: Can't you make the tree-snow-climate system configurable to switch it off?
This would be _really_ useful on huge maps, running on older machines.)

I am not missing new or improved game features, but lots of tools for pakset maintainers,
merged under a reasonable user interface. Yes, I know, we have some. But either they are
".exe", or outdated, or need programmer skills beyond the basic knowledge, or hardcoded
for special paksets, or web based under unreliable hosts. An you can't trigger one by the
other in an automated way.

Look what TTD is offering, even well documented and sorted:
https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_development_tools

My dreams:

- Handling of pakset objects with a HTML/CSS interface as frontend and a PostgreSQL backend.
  It should be usable on a public server as well as locally (assuming a local webserver and the
  appropiate scripting/programming interpreter/language is installed. Just by chance, I discussed
  that idea with Penny yesterday, but without consensus.)
  It might contain features like this (unsorted, t.b.c.)

-- A nice script, triggering makeobj, a built (make?) for pak objects, the merge option of
   makeobj, a.t.l., for automated pakset building, hopefully following a set of rules (XML?) to have
   readable, consistent filenames.

-- A .dat-checker, looking for frequently appearing (spell) errors and giving hints to new, not yet used
   parameters/options. An/or checking for double entries on every level (data, objects, whatever).

-- Something like a tile-cutter, but with the possibility to produce bigger objects (beyon 5x5 tiles)
    without filling all tiles in it.

-- Automated packing of bigger convoi objects as 96er, 128er (instead of 64er). Ok, I have to
   admit that this is a very special wish : - )

-- Any piece of software being able to produce simplified .pngs, just with the edges of the
   objects (here mostly convois) for every given length/width/height.

Ehm... I'll stop now. That should be enough for boring holidays. : - )

Quote from: IgorEliezer on December 28, 2014, 04:06:44 PM
* IgorEliezer grabs popcorn.

* Rainer hands popcorn to IgorEliezer and offers beer.

Markohs

I'll make a summary of what has been expressed so far as I reach home. Many of the ideas are not hard to implement. Maybe there are other programmers that want to implememt some of them too. Let'dd start.

isidoro

Quote from: jamespetts on December 29, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
Would you like to work on this [the two lane avenue] for Experimental?
[...]

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  But now I'm involved in two programming projects and have not enough time.

Markohs

Okay, I think is the summary of all items expressed here. Thanks guys for all your nice and constructive comments. I classified them by size, I think I'll just start on small ones, they should be simple, I'd like to see (F) and (A) specially done, and I think (D) is a very interesting project too. (E) is a *VERY* nice idea. We'll see. I'll open posts for each task being implemented, if anyone wants to help with any oth the items, just do it. :)

The "Unknown" projects, are really that, an enigma, need further discussion.

Big

- (A) Two lanes interesections/ways/avenues. Add the concept of one-direction street, and generalize it maybe to avenue/highway.
- (B) (Sarlock) Alpha channels on images , this will very probably need hw acceleration to perform good.
- (C) (rainer): Handling of pakset objects with a HTML/CSS interface as frontend
- (D) (rainer): Revamp pak creation tools, probably mixed with the item before this.
   *  the merge option of makeobj ( ??? )
   * .dat checker
   * Something like a tile-cutter, but with the possibility to produce bigger objects (beyon 5x5 tiles)  without filling all tiles in it.
   * Automated packing of bigger convoi objects as 96er, 128er (instead of 64er).
   * Any piece of software being able to produce simplified .pngs, just with the edges of the objects (here mostly convois) for every given length/width/height.

Medium

- (R) (colonyan) industry chain placement handling. Previous work in http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10235.0 .
   * (spenk009) http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14243.msg141006#msg141006
   * (Leartin): http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14243.msg140993#msg140993
- (E) (Isidoro): A spreadsheet-like view of the vehicle available in the depot when buying.  One row for each kind of vehicle, one column for each kind of property.  Sorting data available for any column.
- (F) (Isidoro): An option that allow buses not to stop in a stop if there are no people waiting there and there is no passenger in the bus waiting to leave the bus in that station.  That would mean that buses could be more competitive in urban lines.
   * (jamesonpetts) Alter the way in which road stops work to allow vehicles to overtake stationary vehicles waiting at the stops, and to allow terminal road stops to accommodate two vehicles at once, rather than only one as at present.
Small

- (G) (wlindley) Categorize monuments as monuments, not as attractions.
- (H) (Yona-TYT) Bridges should modify the ground. http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14247.msg141070#msg141070
- (I) (Isidoro) A way to incorporate meta-data in height maps so that placement of cities, for instance, could be added from real place data.
- (J) (Yona-YTY) Zoom on the cursor position for the mini map.
- (Q) (rainer) Ability to switch off seasonal change

Unknown

- (K) (The Hood) Add the concept of "civic" buildings/services to a city, not like atractions like are now. 
- (L) (colonyan) Think on how to give RSI (Residential Service and Industrial) buildings a meaning, not just cosmetic.
- (M) (colonyan) Make cities grow in different speeds, regarding more factors, current algorithm is "simple".
- (N) (colonyan) Revisit city cars.
- (O) (gauthier) automatic spacing of convoys along a line
- (P) (DrSuperGood) I would advise revising either growth or adding a convoy type list with planner. (I don't really understand what does this mean :) )

I understand what you say, I feel the same often. Let's see if this time it's different.

Quote from: TurfIt on December 29, 2014, 02:40:06 AM
Very much not abandoned, just bumped down the queue a bit. Has performance implications, hence working to improve the performance first so ideally we end up even. But on again / off again progress, too easily distracted by shiny things...

I'd really suggest you ignore performance now, I don't really think you can get much extra FPS anywere, and just focus on this project. It's going to be a huge change in our game, and our players will love it. People allways can get a new computer. :) Or not, but there is allways time to try to di`out more performance, that task won't ever go away.

So, if you still have an eye on this, do you volunteer to start this task again? Do you need help? We start talking again about it on the thread?

An_dz

Off-topic: @jamespetts
Quote from: jamespetts on December 29, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
Simutrans works well on a large scale because of its use of a mix of low level agent modelling for passengers, goods and vehicles, and higher level statistical modelling for other aspects of the game.
The same reason SimCity4 works. - Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with agents.

DrSuperGood

Quote- (P) (DrSuperGood) I would advise revising either growth or adding a convoy type list with planner. (I don't really understand what does this mean :) )

Growth model revision would be using global growth that goes towards a finite population amount when 100% global satisfaction is reached. From the global growth it then propagates down to towns based on their local satisfaction metrics and size (so cities generally grow more than towns etc). Industry growth then increases linearly with global population (or can decay, depends on what people want). To allow better balance of industries they are given a cost weight which means that simple factories like solar power can be made to use less population than large chains like concrete (build with usual industry placement logic when the industry availability counter is greater than 0). This model would solve problems such as city spam resulting in faster growth, infinite population as time goes towards infinity and imbalance between factory chain spawning (specifically green energy spam that can occur).

By "convoy type list with planner" I refer to a window that lists all available convoy types with certain filters for different types. It is also time-invariant allowing you to view both obsolete convoys and convoys that have not yet been introduced, kind of like a convoy encyclopaedia. The planner is for convoys like engines where you can mess around with different coach combinations without having to own a depot and buy/sell the engines. The planner feature would probably look similar to the convoy replace feature of experimental where you can try out a variety of convoy assemblies without committing to anything. It could eventually be turned into a replace feature but that is less important. A list of all waytypes, station components etc could also be useful.

jamespetts

Quote from: An_dz on December 30, 2014, 01:56:12 AM
Off-topic: @jamespettsThe same reason SimCity4 works. - Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with agents.

Ahh, yes, and you will notice that, in Sim City4, all the people in a building tend to go to just one or two workplaces: there is a reason for that, and it's not that the programmers were lazy.

DrSuperGood

QuoteAhh, yes, and you will notice that, in Sim City4, all the people in a building tend to go to just one or two workplaces: there is a reason for that, and it's not that the programmers were lazy.
I thought they were too busy vandalizing the premises and stuffing far too many people in it so the city looks dirty to bother working. I could swear it was impossible without mods to keep a reasonable city without housing degradation occurring everywhere.

They did not actually keep track of individual people, more just test if people from one place could find work in another and that the work was not over-used. Apparently several mods were made which improved the model used at the cost of more processing time (which was fine due to the clock inflation of the time) so they were less terrible.

jamespetts

I used to play with the Rush Hour expansion pack and the Network Addon Mod and managed to get reasonably dense city centres without too much entropy. With the Rush Hour expansion, one could see little lines on the roads with a certain overlay enabled showing where residents from each specific building went to work and where workers in each specific building lived.

Markohs

What about adding zoning to simutrans like simcity has? Is this a stupid idea? This links with ideas expressed in this thread. Maybe as a mod, a optional addon to the game.
Maybe just mod this to simulate city cars traffic, and to generate pax with destination
If done right, all this pax generation, city building can be calculated in extra cpu's and will be assumible. Maybe this calculus can be done outside frame processing, and applied atomically at the end of the day.

jamespetts

Quote from: Markohs on December 30, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
What about adding zoning to simutrans like simcity has? Is this a stupid idea? This links with ideas expressed in this thread. Maybe as a mod, a optional addon to the game.
Maybe just mod this to simulate city cars traffic, and to generate pax with destination
If done right, all this pax generation, city building can be calculated in extra cpu's and will be assumible. Maybe this calculus can be done outside frame processing, and applied atomically at the end of the day.

The real question is who would do the zoning (and who would do it in a multi-player game)? The idea of Simutrans is for players to play a transport company and the rest of the environment is taken care of.

TurfIt

I just spend a couple hours reading through that thread. While the words each contributor typed were English, clearly everyone was assigning a different meaning to them. Absolutely no communication was occurring, so everyone walking away from that type of environment is not surprising.

Quote from: Markohs on December 30, 2014, 12:55:56 AM
So, if you still have an eye on this, do you volunteer to start this task again? Do you need help? We start talking again about it on the thread?
I do definitely still have an eye on it. I just spend 3 days getting my sync_step()/multithreaded/profiling/memory_management patch back into compilable shape (>1 yr since last looked at). My intent was to extract the good parts, then start looking at other unfinished items (such as these multi-lane roads).   The question is, what type of project are you looking for as a bored programmer? i.e. Collaborative, solo, huge, small, etc...

A further suggestion for a project: NEW CLIMATES MODEL (was: The Equatorial Wind).  It's a shame the per tile climates included in Kieron's patch are being completely overshadowed by the double/half heights portion. Perhaps if the map generator could make use of them somehow...

kierongreen

QuoteA further suggestion for a project: NEW CLIMATES MODEL (was: The Equatorial Wind).  It's a shame the per tile climates included in Kieron's patch are being completely overshadowed by the double/half heights portion. Perhaps if the map generator could make use of them somehow
'All' it needs is climate generation code on map initialisation... The sandy bays and not so sandy headlands were meant to be a simple example of the flexibility of the new system. Although if there's a comprehensive new climate model then it will have to be defined what happens when terrain height is altered.

As has been mentioned on other threads though - a new climate model could be coded alongside a resource map and the two in conjunction with topology and proximity to settlements would define likely industry chains. The effect would be that some areas of the map would be agricultural, some forestry, while heavy industry would be clustered near coal and iron seams (and on the coast where possible), and large scale power generation should be close to, but still a certain distance away from larger settlements. Hydro-electric power plants on steep rivers, potentially also sometimes with dams and lakes would be nice too. The question becomes does this all add realism, or is it just added complexity when a bit of imagination by the player could be just as satisfying.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Markohs on December 30, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
What about adding zoning to simutrans like simcity has? Is this a stupid idea?
and
Quote from: jamespetts on December 30, 2014, 02:36:39 PM
The real question is who would do the zoning (and who would do it in a multi-player game)?
I think there has always been a pent-up demand for more planning or design tools in the game. Once a player has mastered the game he would like to shape the environment and have more control over how the game develops (gaming-wise, not coding-wise). Zoning is one of these aspects which the player has no control yet.

I see two approaches: 1) in single player: a player could design all the terrain, including all infrastructure, city layout and zoning, then upload the world as challenge so other players can play on the map. 2) multiplayer: the server admin would design the cities for client-players to play on the map. More control over the world is meant for server-admins.

Additionally, it's safe to say those planning tools should not be accessible right off the bat for non-advanced players.

colonyan

about Industry placement.  Density of Industry buildings in any area. Also sheer number of industry on the map

I think this can be controlled, even in standard, by having final consumer to handle several or many freight type and in small quantity.
Say, generalize final consumer industry as commercial district or whole saler. Make them sell most of final product. One final consumer will be able to house
several industry chain expansion.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI think this can be controlled, even in standard, by having final consumer to handle several or many freight type and in small quantity.
Say, generalize final consumer industry as commercial district or whole saler. Make them sell most of final product. One final consumer will be able to house
several industry chain expansion.
This idea has potential in some form or another.

Currently a shop is a single building, some times as small as 1 tile that can consume a lot of units of product at a time. In real life they would be districts that are considerably bigger in area than a single shop. So a possible idea would be to create a new field type with special placement mechanics. This field is "shops" which are placed just like normal city buildings. As the sector grows (more shops are created) so will its demand. This mechanic would work well for certain industry types such as a industrial area for building materials and a shopping district instead of a supermarket. The core of the district (which you deliver to) is then some distribution depot.

colonyan

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 31, 2014, 05:42:07 AM
This idea has potential in some form or another.

Currently a shop is a single building, some times as small as 1 tile that can consume a lot of units of product at a time. In real life they would be districts that are considerably bigger in area than a single shop. So a possible idea would be to create a new field type with special placement mechanics. This field is "shops" which are placed just like normal city buildings. As the sector grows (more shops are created) so will its demand. This mechanic would work well for certain industry types such as a industrial area for building materials and a shopping district instead of a supermarket. The core of the district (which you deliver to) is then some distribution depot.

That sounds good. So each city with certain size will have its own final consumer?

In extreme case, I imagined the system where, every single 1X1 commercial and industrial city building above certain level was its own industry which has demand supply of freight. This would be chaotic.

So I was imagining system where like existing passenger and mail, how about if we had
business passenger : Spawn from commercial and industry city building and
only destines other commercial and or industry city building in map. (maybe industry too)

mixed cargo : Spawn from industry city building and destines other I-city building.

Then it will be little redundant so this was not so helpful.

Another thing I've remarked is that current (based on pak64 and assuming also for other paks too) final consumer consumes too much.
Game should be enough with 1~2, max 3 supply chain and much more smaller and distributed final consumer.
So ideally, # of final consumer to be much larger than # of raw/processing factories/plants.

But most importantly,
if we could incorporate current chain industry and city building industry, it will slim the system? Also this involves commercial sector too. As final consumer is commercial building in our view.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm probably too late, but I do have two requests to put in for consideration that I hope are relatively minor and could be optional in simuconf:

1. Some way to protect ways(roads) from the city to take them over and connect to them. I even thought of a method to mark such tiles: click properties for a road tile you own and can check a box for protection. City cannot connect to this tile, nor can it make it city_road. Tedious to do? Yes. So two tools to add to menus - each drags over ways and either checks or unchecks the boxes for all possible tiles.

2. The ability to build bridges like elevated ways - curves, tile-by-tile

I really like a lot of the Simcity-type talk in this thread. I've long felt a natural progression from SimCity to Simutrans taking over that role as SimCity has lost its way.

The avenue discussion and zoning are particularly interesting to me :)

The Hood

At the risk of throwing in yet more ideas into the melting pot rather than helping decide:

1) Multi-tile city buildings (to allow for properly proportioned skyscrapers or even whole residential estates)
2) Modular buildings, especially for industry. Pak128.Britain has a number of buildings which are composed from a relatively limited set of 1x1 elements arranged in different ways to create different buildings. So a lot of the 19th century factories have used the same brick factory tiles but combined them with a few tiles unique to that industry (e.g. coal heap) to create different  buildings. This could be used even more flexibly to allow a greater visual variety of buildings of the same type. You can sort of achieve this effect using fields but (a) no rotations are allowed (b) there is no way of constraining which tile goes next to another. If this sounds interesting I can create screenshots to show what I mean...
3) Combine both of the above with the zoning idea to create a zone for 1990s housing development or tall tower blocks that must be surrounded by tiles of park

Definite support for adding new climates to the map generation model, ideally with industry placement too...

Ters

Quote from: IgorEliezer on December 31, 2014, 02:59:28 AM
andI think there has always been a pent-up demand for more planning or design tools in the game. Once a player has mastered the game he would like to shape the environment and have more control over how the game develops (gaming-wise, not coding-wise). Zoning is one of these aspects which the player has no control yet.

I see two approaches: 1) in single player: a player could design all the terrain, including all infrastructure, city layout and zoning, then upload the world as challenge so other players can play on the map. 2) multiplayer: the server admin would design the cities for client-players to play on the map. More control over the world is meant for server-admins.

I don't thint static zoning as in #1 can work. Urban development needs to adapt to the evolving game. In a single player game, that would essentially turn the game into some semi-Simugov, where the player plays a government that happens to run a state-owned transportation agency.

Having a player play the government in multiplayer makes more sense. Especially if that player can take an almost antagonistic stance, yet also with an ability to offer rewards, similar to the subsidies one can get in Transport Tycoon.

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on December 31, 2014, 07:58:35 AM
1. Some way to protect ways(roads) from the city to take them over and connect to them. I even thought of a method to mark such tiles: click properties for a road tile you own and can check a box for protection. City cannot connect to this tile, nor can it make it city_road.

Such roads should however not count as streets in the city rules. In other words, buildings should not be built near such roads (unless other nearby streets are present), as they can not connect their driveways to them either. Otherwise, one could simply replace all city roads with highways, and bypass all the challenges of urban transport (except congestion at junctions).

Quote from: The Hood on December 31, 2014, 09:49:30 AM
1) Multi-tile city buildings (to allow for properly proportioned skyscrapers or even whole residential estates)

I thought we got them not too long ago. Something prissi committed that neroden (I think) wrote. Or did I misunderstand what that was about?

jamespetts

Quote from: IgorEliezer on December 31, 2014, 02:59:28 AM
... multiplayer: the server admin would design the cities for client-players to play on the map. More control over the world is meant for server-admins.

As a server admin, I should note that the prospect of having manually to edit the growth of all 419 towns on my large server map in real time is not one that fills me with joy. Really, town growth has to be fully automatic or else it is not workable on large maps or in multi-player games.

Markohs

I think I'll just wrap my summary, plus the new commented items, post it somewere as reference, as a TO-DO list, for me and for anybody that wants to explore them. I'm on the bridge building improvement Yona/james commented, once I'm done, I'll pick another from the list.

If any of the items need further discussion, we open a thread for each of them in extension requests.

EDIT: About zoning, we can have it into a in-between sultion. The zoning and re-zoning (requalification) are done automatically by the city growth algoritm, *AND* the game generates PAX (workers, visitors) between them. Like simcity, but automatically. We also create "tratic congestion", of what we have now with city cars. If we could see the rush-hour feature of seeing thraffic flow, it whould be amazing.

For those that don't know what we are talking about:

jamespetts

Quote from: Markohs on December 31, 2014, 11:01:39 AM
I think I'll just wrap my summary, plus the new commented items, post it somewere as reference, as a TO-DO list, for me and for anybody that wants to explore them. I'm on the bridge building improvement Yona/james commented, once I'm done, I'll pick another from the list.

If any of the items need further discussion, we open a thread for each of them in extension requests.

EDIT: About zoning, we can have it into a in-between sultion. The zoning and re-zoning (requalification) are done automatically by the city growth algoritm, *AND* the game generates PAX (workers, visitors) between them. Like simcity, but automatically. We also create "tratic congestion", of what we have now with city cars. If we could see the rush-hour feature of seeing thraffic flow, it whould be amazing.

I looked into this extensively a while back (private car simulation, that is). This does not scale well: on a very large map, calculating all of the routes would be far too CPU intensive to be viable. In Experimental at present, private car routes just between each city hall and every other city hall are currently computed in one pass from each city hall using Dijekstra's Algorithm, and this has to be spaced throughout the month to avoid a slowdown. Routing from every building would be unworkable in larger maps.

Markohs

I guess so, James, but you can *maybe* just calculate that "monthly", or less often. Even you could calculate that in a background thread, and just apply it, whan it was done. Just an idea, I'm not saying this is really feasible or not.

Maybe you don't need to calculate 100% of the travels, maybe you can just calculate 10% of them, and multiply their volumes by 10. After all, it's just a simulation.

jamespetts

This issue was discussed extensively in connexion with Experimental in this thread, especially here onwards. Even a monthly calculation from each town hall only (which is what is used at present for the Dijekstra search) needs to be spread out over the month to avoid too much computational strain.

colonyan

Instead of every town hall to visit all other town hall, how about if they have 5 tickets per X population size?
And they use those tickets randomly, instead of visiting 5 different other cities, one could visit city A 4 times
and city B once.

And, designate a capital and regional capital town hall and make all cities mandatory to visit(route to) them to certain frequency?

By visiting same town hall several time game could save some computation burden.

Ters

Quote from: Markohs on December 31, 2014, 11:23:29 AM
I guess so, James, but you can *maybe* just calculate that "monthly", or less often. Even you could calculate that in a background thread, and just apply it, whan it was done. Just an idea, I'm not saying this is really feasible or not.

Maybe you don't need to calculate 100% of the travels, maybe you can just calculate 10% of them, and multiply their volumes by 10. After all, it's just a simulation.

Sounds like the way to do it, if it is doable at all.

jamespetts

One other thing springs to mind, on the topic of bridges: there is a long-standing extension request to separate the way from the underling bridge (and, for that matter, tunnel). For tunnels, this is half-way implemented to allow for tunnel ways (although bespoke tunnel ways with inside of tunnel graphics are actually not really consistent with the idea of ordinary ways going in tunnels), although there is a need for new portal graphics.

This is desirable because it allows for upgrading a way without having to pay the much greater cost of replacing the bridge/tunnel.

DrSuperGood

In the current pak64 server game I have noticed an issue regarding public stops. Currently public stops can only be deleted by the public service provider player making them hazards. Additionally public service provider players might not be available or want to go around the map deleting public stops placed there for various reasons (I am guessing either someone trying to abuse free maintenance or who does not understand their purpose).

So a solution to this would be that public service owned stops are automatically deleted if there is no convoys and goods for 12 months. When they are deleted an announcement message is made "X closed down due to inactivity.". This gives players the ability to delete public stops simply by not using them for a year. Accidental public stops or public stop spam will then automatically be fixed after 1 year.

1 year is chosen due to that being the duration of the graph stops use. That might aid in the implementation.

jamespetts

Could they not simply be set to ownerless so that anyone can delete them after a year instead?

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 31, 2014, 09:56:36 PM
In the current pak64 server game I have noticed an issue regarding public stops. Currently public stops can only be deleted by the public service provider player making them hazards. Additionally public service provider players might not be available or want to go around the map deleting public stops placed there for various reasons (I am guessing either someone trying to abuse free maintenance or who does not understand their purpose).

Something was done related to this this year (still 2014 for me).

Sybill

I have an old wish, that was mentioned in the german forum before: more positions for signals!

It is very hard for a pakset designer to make nice looking signals without separate positions for slopes, especially when your way graphics is a bit uncommon.

mad_genius

Bored programmers are advised not to read this thread in case they want to remain bored. :D :D :D :D

Let me add one more small request that was first mentioned a while ago. Having the option to choose the city list to use on the "New Game" dialog instead of having the city list dependent of the game language selected in the "options" menu.

I'm currently trying to learn the Simutrans code, on my limited free time, in an attempt to implement this feature but it's taking much longer than what I expected initially. If someone wants to have a go at this feature feel free to go for it.
I don't care if the credits for this feature go to me or anybody else. The important thing to me is to improve the game the best we can for the whole comunity to have more and more fun playing it.

Ters

Quote from: mad_genius on January 04, 2015, 11:31:21 AM
Let me add one more small request that was first mentioned a while ago. Having the option to choose the city list to use on the "New Game" dialog instead of having the city list dependent of the game language selected in the "options" menu.

The biggest issue here is game portability. It is possible to create cities after map creation as well, and these cities should also use the same city name list (although there is a chance that players want to manually name these). The first idea can then be to store the name of the city name list file in the save game, but then there is a problem if the game is sent to someone else that doesn't have that file. This problem is similar to the dependency on pak sets, or perhaps more like add-on paks, since there aren't that many different pak sets. One just have to consider if it's a good idea to introduce another dependency that players must upload when sending in a save game for debugging. The dependency can be avoided by saving the city name list in the save game, just like the settings, but this makes it more difficult to add more names to the list after the game has been started.

IgorEliezer

Since we almost managed to derail Markohs' topic (he and his minions are too strong), all posts related to rendering multiple Blender files, after this post, were split to this topic: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14279.0, in 3D Modeling board.