News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Station limits for goods

Started by Václav, January 05, 2015, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

It would be good to set that any good will take only some space in stations.

For example:

Station has two factories in coverage. Both factories produce good of the same type (for example paletted) - or even the same good. Each good has different target where it will be delivered.

But goods that will be delivered to one factory takes all storage place - meanwhile goods that will be delivered to else factory cannot be stored - because there is no space in station.

So I have idea that in each station that has any factory in coverage should be possible to set max. space for goods for any line. For example 25% (of total storage space of station).

Post number 3100

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Vladki

A partial solution is to play with Jit=2. It helps to avoid overcrowding of source station. At least as long as you keep the customers well supplied.

Sent using recycled electrons.

Václav

I play with JIT2.

I play with pak96.comic.
I have cellulose factory that supplies four Hygiene-Artikel-Fabriks. There are two lines between cellulose factory and those factories - because those factories are placed in two cities (2*2).

At first I connected cellulose factory with those factories in one city - and later with those in other city.
Hygiene-Artikel-Fabriks in the first city get all they need correctly - but Hygiene-Artikel-Fabriks in that other city not.
Because even if cellulose factory produce for all four Hygiene-Artikel-Fabriks, all station storage place is used with cellulose for Hygiene-Artikel-Fabriks in the first city.

Vladki

Check the demand counters of all hygiene factories. It may be that they are not ordering for some reason?

Václav

There was a lower demand - but not so lower to cellulose only for factories in the first city should be stored in station.

But when demand became similar on both sides, goods for both lines began to be stored.

Vladki

I think that this is a side effect of jit2. With jit1 cargo is sent to factory that has the lowest amount stored on source station. Iirc jit2 sends to factories with highest demand counter. You have to supply them well to keep the goods flowing smoothly.

DrSuperGood

JIT2 does not bias high demand consumers. When a distribution tick is run it will send to factories which have any demand counter (not negative) in a round robin fashion (same as before). Under supplied factories (with constantly positive demand counter) will be biased towards due to the very reason they are under supplied so can accept 100% of what is being sent to them. If they were not under supplied then they would not be ordering everything they can. If anything it is now less biased than before as ordering is done in delta_t ticks so each supplier is given a chance to send an order (unlike before where it was first come first serve).

The issue here sounds like you have insufficient transport capacity or storage capacity from the source to the destination. A large storage will not build up if there is no transport bottleneck since the bottleneck will then be the ordering of the goods. With JIT2 you should not be transport bottlenecking everything as the flow of goods from source to destination is constant, let the factories themselves do the bottlenecking.

The only major issue with JIT2 is there is no transport bottleneck detection capability as such it will happily try and send goods to pile up in some transfer somewhere. Again the solution here is to be a good transport company and not bottleneck the factories.