News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SMSC January 2015: In The Forest

Started by An_dz, January 11, 2015, 09:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

It's 2015 and it's time for SMSC. The first SMSC of 2015 is up for nominations up to January 27th.

Rules
  • Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 1366x768 px
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: In The Forest
  • You may use any pakset you want, but only one
  • Zoom is allowed
  • Choose one of the available licenses
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used
  • Please include a name for your image
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at January 27th. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prizes:
  • Compliments by the community
  • Become the cover picture of our Facebook page
  • Become the Simutrans homepage image
Terms:
You must post only images under the following licenses: CC0, CC-BY 3.0 or newer, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or newer.

railworker

Autumn in Germany in the 1950s

A main railway line was built through the forest near Kaltental. The tracks are used by coal trains which supply coal power plants, and by passenger trains which cross the whole map from north to south. The train passing by right now is heading north to the town of Rosenhaven. It's a BR 38 of the Deutsche Reichsbahn with two first class passenger cars and two mail cars.

This is a real game in pak128.german.

License:  CC-BY-SA 3.0

gauthier

Passing Quetzacoatl's falls

Here was a wonderful landscape of central America, with falls, temples and everything, made inaccessible by jungle. Then the white man came. He wanted to make money out of trading between modern cities. To achieve this, he had to destroy the landscape to set train lines, so he did.
Sorry for that horrible pile of steel in the middle of the screen, the landscape is still nice enough, isn't it ?

License : CC0
pak: pak128 2.5.2, no addons.
Fictionnal game.

railworker

Quote from: gauthier on January 18, 2015, 01:16:23 PM
Passing Quetzacoatl's falls
[...]
Sorry for that horrible pile of steel in the middle of the screen, the landscape is still nice enough, isn't it ?

License : CC0
pak: pak128 2.5.2, no addons.
Fictionnal game.

Mind-bogglingly beautiful. Also, the new half heights make it all look more 'natural'. :)

jomoyama

Switchback Station with a foot-bath

This is the mountain railway connects two towns place this side and the other side of the Mt.Tajimi.
The red train, Series 800, used to run on main line at the speed of 100km/h. Now they run in this small mountain line.
Automatic turnstiles were set and The station renewed recently, but there are still few houses around the station.
In the west side of station, there's a small foot-bath. When a train waits for passing loop, The passengers can go there and talk at ease
until the oncoming train arrive.

Pak128.Japan with addons(from C/N:SHIKI,station block set, and so on.)
license:CC0
A real game

gwalch

Small town before 1900

The early steam locomotive 111 with buddicom system is approching the station. Passengers can't take yet the train, but goods trade will increase this small city in middle of nowhere.

Pak 128 with SNFOS addons (market place by mEGa, Buddicom 111 by me)
license CC-BY-SA 3.0
not a real game
French Elements Creator :
-By Rail with trains and trams : X3800 Picasso and BB36000 Astride - trams from Nantes, St Etienne, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Reims...
-By Road with Trucks : Main painter for the "french trucks company", with trucks from 50ies (Willeme "Squale Nose") to 2000 (Renault AE500 "Magnum) and a lot of trailers... and with Trolley and Buses : Irisbus Cristalis, Man Lion's City, Irisbus Magelys...
- Industry : Collaborator for french food with Wine and Cheese...

Leartin

Woodcutters Hut

CC0, no real game, pak192.comic of the future

What are the odds to find a forest without any railway? Instead, this woodcutter's hut is connected via dirt road to the nearby street. And since it's a forest, you get nothing else but a lot of trees - just like a forest should be.

Sarlock

Fresh from Sarlock's Simutrans Skunkworks project, I present to you...

In the Wilderness

About this pakset:

This is the culmination of a lot of work and experimentation.  What I have presented here is using the half heights pak64 base from pak64.nippon and added on some experimental designs.

Using a pak64 base, I have gone with a 10m/tile scale.  This allows me to make a double rail track that looks to scale while actually still on two separate tiles.  I have custom made a railroad graphic that places the rails near the centre and adds a grassy edge on either side.  I have long since realized that it doesn't matter what the pak size is, it's the quality of the graphics that count.  Having an alpha channel would really bring the graphics to life, but with careful decision about where to mask the alpha off, you can achieve a fairly nice effect.

In order to make the train, it is done in a pak128 size and then put in to pak64 format.  The length of the train had to be modified to make it work and there are some very small clipping issues that happen now and then... but as this is designed for eye candy, not functional use, this isn't a problem.

The train is modeled after the common freight locomotive used by Canadian Pacific Railway.  The cars are oil tankers.  It is common to see these trains with well over 100 oil tankers in tow.  Usually 3-4 locomotives at the front and one DPU in the middle.

Next, and most importantly, are the trees.  Given that these large evergreens often exceed 50m in height (sometimes 80m+ high), it was necessary to make them very large in order to fit the 10m/tile scale.  Using a size of 224x224, I was able to produce a tree that fits nicely to the scale that I wanted.  Again, there are sometimes some slight clipping errors with the graphics but they are very minor and certainly well worth the look.

Featured are douglas fir, western red hemlock, western red alder and other small bushes, ferns and dead trees/logs.

Lastly, this is (hopefully) the culmination of my blender tree making process.  I have become quite quick at it and am able to create and manipulate the trees in short order and produce lots of different angles, ages and styles.

This is very much a work in progress and I threw this compilation together to showcase what I have developed so far.  I had intended to add a river, rail bridge and other features, but ran out of time.

Summary

license CC-BY-SA 3.0
not a real game
pak64 - completely custom on a pak64.nippon base
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

prissi

Really stunning, reminds me of Locomotion from the scale. But that was only 256 colors and 256x256 maps. Very nice demonstration what the simutrans engine still can do!