News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

[101.0]Can I change the company name?

Started by spm, February 04, 2009, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spm

Human and also when i open a new company???

prissi

DirrrtyDirk

At least not within the game itself - but there is way to do it.

EDIT:
(check this part of the archives where I explained how to do it in the past.)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

spm

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 04, 2009, 03:44:45 PM
At least not within the game itself - but there is way to do it.

EDIT:
(check this part of the archives where I explained how to do it in the past.)

thank you.but i tried,i can't get any XX_su-01_players.tab in folder "text"
p.s.i am using 101.0

DirrrtyDirk

What do you mean you "can't get any" ? Just download the file from my (linked) posting there, rename it (to whatever you want, as long as it starts with your language's signature characters - e.g. "en" for english - and put it into simutrans\pakxyz\text . It doesn't replace any existing file there, if you're looking for that.

Then open it (use wordpad or another good editor - but not standard windows notepad!) and change the names inside to whatever you like. It's simple.

VS

Uhmpf. The file Dirk offers will also remove all other texts.

First, take your language file (XX.tab) and make a backup. Obviously any name works as it is preferably in another folder ;)

Now edit the original translation file in an editor that saves correctly with linux-style line endings (LF only) and locate names of players. For example, search for "player -1". Format of translation files is one line original, one line translation, so change just the few lines with player names, save and you are done.

If it breaks this translation, either your text editor messed up line endings, or you managed to delete a line.

If it works, congrats, you just customized Simutrans! :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on February 04, 2009, 06:25:46 PM
Uhmpf. The file Dirk offers will also remove all other texts.

No! This is not true! The normal texts will stay in (let's keep that example for the english setting) in the already existing en.tab. That file will not be touched and so nothing is going to be lost! As I said: we're not replacing any files! The new file will simply be added into the same folder. And it only contains new text strings for the company names (and these will replace the original ones since those are loaded from simutrans\text - and everything from simutrans\pakxyz\text overrules those settings - so will this file.

Use this one, replace the "xx" with your language's characters and then edit it - that's all.

EDIT:
The advantage of this method is, when you download a newer version of your pakset, all standard language files will be overwritten - so you'd have to do it all again, every time you update. By using a separate extra file, all you have to do is copy that over - and you're ready to go again. (That's why I came up with this method instead of editing the normal text files.)

VS

Either you replace with new file and lose all pakset translations, or add the file and create a new language, and lose all pakset texts too (since the file contains just players).

Simu reads just xx.tab in simutrans/text and xx.tab in simutrans/pak/text. Nothing else.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on February 04, 2009, 06:53:47 PM
Simu reads just xx.tab in simutrans/text and xx.tab in simutrans/pak/text. Nothing else.

Here's where you are wrong. It reads everything starting with xx - just try it, I'm working with this all the time. If it didn't work for me, I wouldn't tell people to do it, would I?  ;)

VS

Well then, it does not work here. I am sorry, just do try your file renamed to "en" as you suggested, with latest nightly. I'm looking at the code and it does not do that.

DirrrtyDirk

Interesting. ??? In Czech or English?

Just to make sure:

1) you downloaded the file I have posted here in this thread ("xx_company_names.tab")
2) you renamed it to "cz_company_names.tab" (or "en_company_names.tab")
3) you put into simutrans\pak128\text
4) you restarted simutrans
5) your player list was not different from what it usually is?

VS

English.

And now I feel like an idiot - it works, despite the fact that the file language is loaded by taking the section between last / or \ and four characters from end (.tab)

EDIT2: ARGH ARGH ARGH! The languages are taken as whole file name, but compared just hteir first two letters! That's why it works!

DirrrtyDirk

works for me ever since 99.14 and before - up to the r2293

VS

Sorry for confusion. Would you believe that I copied the file to wrong Simutrans instance? Well and the code is not particularly clear, either ::)

spm: Dirk was right. You can just add a file xx_blabbityblah.tab and it modifies the parts of translation that are in it.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on February 04, 2009, 07:56:05 PM
Would you believe that I copied the file to wrong Simutrans instance?

Oh yes, I believe that!  ;) The same happened to me just a few days ago on another issue.  ;D

whoami

This would also allow to supply add-on pak files with translations, if I understood this right.

spm

thanks all,i put en_su-01_players.tab in pak128\text,but nothing changed.......did i use the wrong .tab file name?

DirrrtyDirk

@Whoami:

Yes, that's exactly right.

@spm:

Just to make sure - you play with English a language, right? Make sure you follow the 5 point checklist I asked VS about above.

spm

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 05, 2009, 10:01:50 AM
@Whoami:

Yes, that's exactly right.

@spm:

Just to make sure - you play with English a language, right? Make sure you follow the 5 point checklist I asked VS about above.
...now i am at home,it works!!!Thanks dirrrtydirk!but i don't know why nothing change in my office's computer...thanks all again!!!!!!!

spm

DirrrtyDirk:
oh no,when i use your file "xx_company_names",after i rename it to "en_company_names",its work!but after i change your name,A...>......co.
B..>....co.
then i restart the game,it retrun to default"Human"....

DirrrtyDirk

What program did you use to do these changes? Some editors cannot handle the required line breaks correctly (like windows' notepad, for example). My guess is the file got "corrupted" in some way by your attempt on editing it.

spm

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 05, 2009, 02:37:19 PM
What program did you use to do these changes? Some editors cannot handle the required line breaks correctly (like windows' notepad, for example). My guess is the file got "corrupted" in some way by your attempt on editing it.
i use wordpad to change the .tab

DirrrtyDirk

Hmmm... I think I remember that it worked with wordpad - I just checked, and it does not work (anymore), sorry.

Ok, you need something else then... Notepad++ is a good choice

spm

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on February 05, 2009, 04:22:21 PM
Hmmm... I think I remember that it worked with wordpad - I just checked, and it does not work (anymore), sorry.

Ok, you need something else then... Notepad++ is a good choice
Its Work!!!!!!!Thank you for details!!!Thank you very much!!!!!!!

Maragil

is there a simpler way to change name from 'human' to anything else other than:  http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1432.0

Sorry (somethings gone wrong here..)

H./

Spike

Quote from: whoami on February 05, 2009, 01:18:13 AM
This would also allow to supply add-on pak files with translations, if I understood this right.

That is good to know. Just a few days ago I tried to explain someone how to edit en.tab to add new building descriptions ... much easier with a separate file!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Maragil on September 09, 2009, 09:04:57 PM
is there a simpler way to change name from 'human' to anything else other than:  http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1432.0

Sorry (somethings gone wrong here..)

Nothing went wrong, there was just no reason to start a new thread, so I merged your thread here. :)