News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Getting started

Started by artyshan, May 07, 2012, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artyshan

Hi, I've just started playing on pak128 after a bit of playing on pak64 and I don't know what am I doing wrong, because I just can't benefit on my lines.
On pak64 it was pretty easy to earn money: just a few lines could make some money to build more and more. I wanted some better graphics, new industries etc and i decided to download pak128, but when I started to play, I noticed that benefits of transporting supplies to factories etc are less and costs of maintenance are bigger. As a result I always lost money on my connections.
I'm generally 'newbie' and I wonder what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for help and please be forgiving to my english and my poor knowledge about Simutrans :P

Vonjo

Nothing wrong. Pak128 is generally harder than pak64. Don't worry, you will find a way to make money, just keep playing. ;)
That maybe the price you have to pay for a better graphics. :D
Tips: In the current release (2.1) bus/truck is harder to make money. You need fast bus/truck (and road) to profit. You should use train/ship/planes for distant transport.

Milko

Hello

This is one of the most discussed.  :)

You can find some useful tips in this thread.

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6254.msg60335#msg60335

Giuseppe

artyshan

Vonjo, trains do not well too : / the worst thing is production speed. Maybe it's just illusion but it seems to me that it's slower and slower... train which never waited to load now stays for a few days to reach 100%   
and it causes losts of money. It is veery difficult to profit : /
Milko, thanks for link. Apparently I will have to use my brain and do some maths to play it : P

Milko

Hello

Even for me to go from 64 to 128 was traumatic ...  :)

Giuseppe

dom700

Just two hints: The forests and (some) coal mines produce really really little, adjust your trains (AND TRACKS) accordingly. In pak64 it was one-engine-fits-it-all, that does not apply to pak128 (in fact I have a pak64 map with over 4k convois, all trains except less than 10 ran with the same engine at the same length, passenger trains same as short range and long range good trains)

artyshan

Ok so I simply builded some busstops in some cities and factories and I used generated roads from city to city and let one bus. It minimally benefits as far.

Vonjo

You may also like to see the current Timothy's pak128 server. Some player makes a lot of money there. :)

I myself still trying hard to make more than 50% margin with the current release. It is really hard.

Quote from: artyshan on May 07, 2012, 03:59:01 PM
Vonjo, trains do not well too : / the worst thing is production speed. Maybe it's just illusion but it seems to me that it's slower and slower... train which never waited to load now stays for a few days to reach 100%   
and it causes losts of money. It is veery difficult to profit : /
I also noticed that some train doesn't make a lot of money anymore. Not sure which train is the best. I myself mostly use renfe 343 loco (not sure the name, it is 0,90/km).
I also still learning the current release. It is harder than the previous release.

artyshan

Vonjo, I prefer exactly the same train but it doesn't benefit to  me :P for now i try to make cash with cheap cars
btw, how can I see/join that server? when I go to 'Play online' i have one server on pak128 but i'm not sure if it's this server