News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

making 128 open source - what is left to do

Started by VS, February 05, 2009, 02:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernieman

So when we make 3 "Read cuboid" for this 3 Building pakOpen128 could be playable??
I hope you understand my English

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Fabio

I'm afraid to say that my parking lot should go to unfree section, too, as it depends on propermike's citycars.
Citycars is really an issue, i'll see if i can take (and adapt) some from Pak128.Britain.
Also, i plan to repaint a couple of Mhz's cars, to add a bit of variety.

VS

For those without svn access (almost everyone), I packed rev. 827 without non-free material and some useless items. A few non-free items might still persist in schwebebahn folder...

http://128.simutrans.com/download/128svn-export@827.7z

53 MB!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Gouv

I guess, i'll try home market if it's not already done or in progress by somebody else.
I just need to make a Building 3x4x1 (south/north-side x west/east x height), right?
It wont be animated though.

VS

That would be great! And if you make the graphic as big as the old one was, one problem less :)

Animation is not necessary at all.

Fabio

Quote from: VS on October 29, 2009, 10:11:38 AM
* materialswholesale (2x2) - sells concrete, planks and steel
DONE

* moebelhaus (3x4) - "home market", sells furniture, books, and fertilizer (!)
Work in progress (Gouv)

* electronics factory (3x3)
DONE

What are the next priorities?
I'm personally trying to
1) resume the works on new tracks/bridges/tunnels
2) going on with new roads/bridges/tunnels

Zeno

Quote from: fabio on February 01, 2010, 02:09:38 PM
I'm personally trying to
1) resume the works on new tracks/bridges/tunnels
2) going on with new roads/bridges/tunnels
Great, fabio :)
I'm looking forward seeing those new tracks from you since long ago!

Btw, my next goal is to make a minimal ship replacing pakset (similar to what I did with planes), which will include a couple of ships for each category, mainly one version for first half of 20th century, and a newer version for 1950 and avobe. Once I got that I'll begin to randomly add new ships, specially newer versions for years 2000+.

PS: But all this will start on wednesday, after I present my end-of-degree project. Imagine, me an IT engineer! ;D

Fabio

Quote from: Zeno on February 01, 2010, 02:25:21 PM
PS: But all this will start on wednesday, after I present my end-of-degree project. Imagine, me an IT engineer! ;D

Wow, good luck!
On the other hand, also my time is limited (from none to half an hour, one hour per day, a bit more in weekends).
But things little by little will be done...

VS

Perfect. Open 128 is now fully playable in terms of industry! :D Thanks a lot, you really make this happen.

In terms of "object for object" needs there is only one immediate hole: post offices - anyone know who made them? ModernPostOffice & PostOffice. Also Modern_Warehouse from leedsnut, but that is not important.

Next, four rail bridges: Plate_Girder_Bridge, SteelRail, SteelRail2, u_truss_bridge. I guess that belongs to new tracks project, eventually, and can be skipped.

I haven't taken a proper look at the missing buses and trains yet. Ships will be covered by Zeno as he says, so no problem there :) Trams have been made mostly by Raven, but the real problem are these that can be stacked to form longer (2 tile) units. These are seriously useful for things like metro (underground, subway)... 11 items in total.

PS: I got a hold of propermike, which means 95% of citycars stays.

wernieman

Do we need then an "normal" PAK128 nightly??

Or it is better to make only the openPAK128-nightly then?

Fabio

Quote from: VS on February 01, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
In terms of "object for object" needs there is only one immediate hole: post offices
Bus stops HAVE mailboxes only version, but i see it's not the same thing...

Next, four rail bridges: Plate_Girder_Bridge, SteelRail, SteelRail2, u_truss_bridge. I guess that belongs to new tracks project, eventually, and can be skipped.
To be skipped, indeed, I'm completely revising the bridges issue...

WOW, this is a GREAT piece of news!

Zeno

... the real problem are these that can be stacked to form longer (2 tile) units. These are seriously useful for things like metro (underground, subway)... 11 items in total.
That's another project I got in mind, a subway pakset consisting in six (maybe increasing to 8 or 9) sets of underground trains, smaller than usual trains (length is 6 IIRC).
You can take a look on a couple of them I got already done, maybe they could do the job: Series 200B and Series 1000.

Wow!!  ...Zeno dances around the room...

VS

Oh... you made them two carriages but as one vehicle?

Zeno

Quote from: VS on February 01, 2010, 09:12:14 PM
Oh... you made them two carriages but as one vehicle?
Two vehicles. These are sets consisting in two vehicles. I've coded them with restrictive constraints, so only trains with two vehicles allowed, no variations.
Btw, on newer underground trains (from 1970 or so) were adapted to 5 vehicles, which is the formation currently used by all spanish undergrounds.

Fabio

I haven't taken a proper look at the missing buses and trains yet.

I love these trains here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=4005.msg42640#msg42640

Do you think we can ask the author if he wants to release them for pak128 ?

And, generally, when can we try to add material released as an addon (if the author agrees with the license)?

VS

Well, in principle it's possible. However, I think that Raven had a really good point when he said (once on irc) that a set should be conceptually balanced and well planned. Do we have such plan for 128? By not looking at buses and trains I mean exactly this - I haven't even considered what has to be thought about, yet :P Perhaps this is as good time as any to do it...

Zeno

I've contributed some vehicles these days since I finished my studies and having some free time. These vehicles are  a set of undergraund trains (based on Barcelona's Metro), consisting in 9 trains, and a set of oil tank wagons, consisting of 9 different wagons filling the whole timeline (1870-2000s).

Since some days ago I've been drawing some ships to replace the current unlicensed (not-free) objects in pak. I will post some pictrues, renders and previews in this post.
Hope you like them all :)

Zeno

What is the current status so far? I think it would be good to re-write the listings after the last release (1.4.6).
I've been playing with the open pak nightly (1930 to 1980 with timeline on), and AFAICT, most critical things missing are:

• Rail bridges: I guess Fabio is working on that (part of his track&road renewal set)
  • Ships: I'm currently working on a full set replacing (so that will take a while)
  • Passenger trains: I miss some more passenger trains in all eras, despite this is not as critical as ships/bridges.
Is there anything I forget about?

PS: I've been suffering some kind of compulsive vehicle painting, so I can contribute with some extra vehicles:

• Freight trains: I have a spanish set of about 10 locos (diesel & electric). They would need a re-rendering, plus applying player colours.
  • Freight trains: Just finished a set of 3 high power multi-head locos: EMD-FT, Dm3 and IORE. Dm3 may need re-aligning.
  • Passenger trains: I've painted a full set of 5 or 6 french TGV that could help replacing the missing Shinkansen.
  • Buses: Got a couple of re-rendered buses, for 1970 and 1980 IIRC, with player colours and urban/intercity versions.

Fabio

Quote from: Zeno on March 11, 2010, 10:53:21 AM

• Rail bridges: I guess Fabio is working on that (part of his track&road renewal set)

Confirmed, I'm working on them, although I'm also working on a full set replacing and it will take a while, moreover, time in the present period is extremely limited, I hope/guess I'll have more later this Spring.

wlindley

• Perhaps the thread could be renamed, "openPAK128 - what is left to do" to make it clear and consistent with naming on the Nightly download page?
  • Zeno - Any chance of a "GM Fishbowl" New Look bus, introduced 1959? It's the signature North American transit vehicle.

Zeno

Quote from: wlindley on March 11, 2010, 12:15:13 PM
Zeno - Any chance of a "GM Fishbowl" New Look bus, introduced 1959? It's the signature North American transit vehicle.
I'll write it down in my 'candidates notebook'. Dunno when but, someday after I draw a few more ships I could get to it :)

Quote from: fabio on March 11, 2010, 12:02:57 PM
Confirmed, I'm working on them, although I'm also working on a full set replacing and it will take a while, moreover, time in the present period is extremely limited, I hope/guess I'll have more later this Spring.
Aaahh... nice to hear that! Btw, don't care about the time, we will patiently wait, and the pak won't go anywhere ;)

neroden

So, just to clarify, am I correct about this:
- ALL the factories are now done?  (Is the Moebelhaus /Home Market in the pak?)
- a new post office is the only important missing station?
- the only other vital missing elements are fabio's rail bridges and Zeno's ships?
- Haru is the only major author who can't be found?

Perhaps it will soon be time to switch to a new, public, 100% open source SVN repository for OpenPak128?

Zeno

Quote from: neroden on March 22, 2010, 03:05:42 AM
- Haru is the only major author who can't be found?
AFAIK he was found and autorised to release his creations under open source license.

Quote from: neroden on March 22, 2010, 03:05:42 AM
Perhaps it will soon be time to switch to a new, public, 100% open source SVN repository for OpenPak128?
It is planned and it will be done when is the time ;)

There's still a lot of work with tracks, roads and bridges (where fabio is working), and also with ships and some trains (where I am working). Moreover, VS (pak mantainer) is quite busy these days. So there's no need to hurry :)

wernieman

It is in plan, but I don´t know when:

The nightly would only generate the open.PAK128. The generation of the "close" would be go offline.

(There will be pak128.britain on th same place ...)

neroden

Quote from: Zeno on March 22, 2010, 08:28:38 AM
AFAIK he was found and autorised to release his creations under open source license.

Wow, so in the end very little needed to be removed.
It is planned and it will be done when is the time ;)

There's still a lot of work with tracks, roads and bridges (where fabio is working), and also with ships and some trains (where I am working). Moreover, VS (pak mantainer) is quite busy these days. So there's no need to hurry :)
Well, I don't want to rush anyone, but I would love to see it by next January or so.  ;-)

Zeno

Quote from: neroden on March 23, 2010, 12:37:59 AM
Wow, so in the end very little needed to be removed.
Well, I don't want to rush anyone, but I would love to see it by next January or so.  ;-)
The new road/track replacement is a really hard job, so it will take for a while... also *all* ships are about to be replaced; so it's not worthy to say a date, just when it's done :)

Btw you can play the open-pak128 nightly, which can give an idea of current status and playability.

neroden

Quote from: Zeno on March 23, 2010, 08:11:59 AM
The new road/track replacement is a really hard job, so it will take for a while... also *all* ships are about to be replaced; so it's not worthy to say a date, just when it's done :)

Btw you can play the open-pak128 nightly, which can give an idea of current status and playability.

I just want to be able to look around in the commented source code instead of having to unpack .paks, that's all.  :-)

vilvoh

Why don't you use JimsViewer , neroden? It's a pak file viewer..

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

neroden

Quote from: vilvoh on April 15, 2010, 08:55:43 AM
Why don't you use JimsViewer , neroden? It's a pak file viewer..

Thanks, but "It's available only for windows 95/98/XP."  I guess I could port it.  :-/

vilvoh

Ops! I forgot you use GNU/Linux. Then, why don't you try to run it using Wine? it works with some other Simutrans tools likes Shades and Tilecutter.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

neroden

Quote from: vilvoh on April 16, 2010, 06:53:05 AM
Ops! I forgot you use GNU/Linux. Then, why don't you try to run it using Wine? it works with some other Simutrans tools likes Shades and Tilecutter.

OK :-)

Václav

I support making pak128 open. I don't know what is situation around railway stations extensions but some days ago I began work on four rotations railway station extension.

You may see and support its development here, in topic 4 rotations railway station extension. And as I wrote there, source files will be published after finishing.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

all things I create are completely free. Sources will be published but if someone want them before I can send him them.