News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

How cities grow - of interest to pak builders?

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, February 22, 2015, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

gauthier

To my mind, this article juste states obvious things. And the formula given in "Y = G N2 /An ∼ N2 /N5/6 ∼ N7/6" is anything but serious mathematics, its variables are not defined anywhere, so the formula has not any sense. Its syntax is also completely F up. This article opens a wide and very interesting subject, but no more than that.

I have not read the other articles which are linked, I hope they go deeper into this subject, and in more serious way.

Ters

Quote from: gauthier on February 22, 2015, 06:26:38 PM
And the formula given in "Y = G N2 /An ∼ N2 /N5/6 ∼ N7/6" is anything but serious mathematics, its variables are not defined anywhere, so the formula has not any sense. Its syntax is also completely F up.

Quote from: gauthier on February 22, 2015, 06:26:38 PM
I have not read the other articles which are linked, I hope they go deeper into this subject, and in more serious way.

The formula seems to fully defined and less syntactically "F up"-ed in the study linked to by the article Isaac linked to. The latter seems to be another example of journalists trying to communicate science they don't understand and failing badly. Never seen ~ as a mathematical operator before, but this is not the type of math engineers study the most. It might also be a different "language" from what I learned.

Combuijs

The formula should read

Y = G * N2/An ~ N2 / N5/6 ~ N7/6

and is very serious mathematics. The ~ sign simply means "proportional to" and they rightly use it here instead of the = sign.

Wether the research itself and the conclusion can be taken seriously is a different matter though.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

gauthier

Indeed it is seriously explained in the other articles, I was only blaming the first one.