News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

"Docks must be placed on a single-sloped tile"?

Started by CaseyChuffingJones, February 28, 2015, 09:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyChuffingJones

What?  I don't understand what the message is trying to tell me.  More importantly, I can't work out how to successfully build somewhere that a ship can bring crude oil to  :-X

What's more, from there the oil needs to be transferred from the dock (lake/sea) to the refinery, which is connected by a canal.  Can canal boats (barges) use the same dock as the ship?  If not, I guess I have to build a canal dock and somehow transfer goods from one to the other (or is that somehow done automagically?).

Vladki

It depends on the pak you play. There are usually two types of docks - one for canals and rivers, that works much like a bus-stop. The other one is for the sea-shore and that is the one you have problems with. It must be placed on the shore - but it must be a sloped shore - not flat one, and not on the "soft" or half-slope. It must be the full height slope.

In simutrans standard there is no difference between canal/river barges and sea going ships. So you can enter canals with the huge tankers... However in experimental, there are limits enforced and you might have to transfer goods, or build a canal for large ships.

Spacethingy

Apologies if this isn't your problem, but if you're trying to make a boat "station" on the edge of a lake (i.e. water with no slope tiles around it) you have two options:

Left: terraform a slope onto the edge of the water, then build a dock. Docks can only be built on slope tiles - this may seem a bit weird, but lakes were introduced quite recently - perhaps we need to change dock building behaviour now?

Right: build a little canal off the lake, then add a "wharf" stop.
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

Quote from: Spacethingy on February 28, 2015, 02:53:04 PM
perhaps we need to change dock building behaviour now?

A new dock type has been introduced, but pak set authors need to make the buildings and it needs to be tested.

CaseyChuffingJones

I'm using pak128.Britain, for what it's worth.

I managed to build my various water based "stations" (for want of a better word) - thanks very much everyone who posted help - but I can't get my ship to collect oil from the oil well.  Any idea what is going on?  I can post a save game here if it helps.

Ters

Does the oil well stop / oil platform show up in the schedule? (So that you haven't just placed the waypoint near, but not near enough.) Is the oil well / oil platform a supplier to whatever industry you want to carry the oil to? Is the chain of stations and schedules complete from producer to consumer? (This last question covers a lot of ground. We can get back to the details later if necessary.)

CaseyChuffingJones

Ters

Quote from: CaseyChuffingJones on March 01, 2015, 10:11:57 AM
As far as I can tell: yes, yes, and yes.

Then oil is being transported.

Some of the things that can break the link are:

• One or more stops' catchment area does not overlap industy. Check the factory information window and see that the stop is listed.
  • Vehicles do not have the ability to carry oil.
  • If there is transloading, you have managed to create two (or more) stations, not one. Goods only move from one station to another via vehicles, even if the stations are right next to each other.
  • Consumer is already full, but this seems unlikely as you are trying to get the initial flow running. (Unless there already is another flow.)