News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

bug: 64 bit compilation issue.

Started by O01eg, July 24, 2015, 05:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O01eg

When trying compile last updates I get error:

obj/leitung2.cc: In member function 'virtual void leitung_t::info(cbuffer_t&, bool) const':
obj/leitung2.cc:400:69: error: cast from 'powernet_t*' to 'uint32 {aka unsigned int}' loses precision [-fpermissive]
  buf.printf( translator::translate("Net ID: %u\n"), (uint32)get_net() );
obj/leitung2.cc: In member function 'virtual void leitung_t::rdwr(loadsave_t*)':
obj/leitung2.cc:454:27: error: cast from 'powernet_t*' to 'uint32 {aka unsigned int}' loses precision [-fpermissive]
   value = (uint32)get_net();

It was entered in commit 8cc188.

It better to output pointer as "%p" without conversion to any int and as I see in virtual void leitung_t::rdwr(loadsave_t*) it stores pointer value in file. Maybe upstream change type of get_net() before from powernet_t* to some identifier?

Branch: devel-new
gcc-4.8.4
Gentoo Linux AMD64

jamespetts

Thank you for that: I have now pushed what I believe to be a fix. Can you test it?

The problem seems to have originated from the loading and saving of a variable enigmatically called "value", relating to the electricity supply. This is actually the pointer of the power network to which a power network component is connected. Trying to remove "long" and "unsigned long" ended up putting it as a uint32 type, which cannot be cast from a 64-bit pointer (at least not without, I assume, the -fpermissive flag).

Oddly, however, although it is loaded, "value" is simply never used. It cannot just be removed, as it would break saved game compatibility. I have just reverted this to "unsigned long", as it does not seem to make any difference what this number is. This anomaly is also present in Standard.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

O01eg

Yep, that file was compiled and I get next error:
vehicle/simvehicle.cc: In member function 'virtual void air_vehicle_t::set_convoi(convoi_t*)':
vehicle/simvehicle.cc:5877:26: error: cast from 'convoi_t*' to 'uint32 {aka unsigned int}' loses precision [-fpermissive]
  if(leading  &&  (uint32)cnv > 1) {

As I see in upstream they leave "unsigned long" also: https://github.com/aburch/simutrans/blob/master/vehicle/simvehicle.cc#L3961

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for that. I have now reverted that change - can you try it again and see whether it compiles this time?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

O01eg

Last was changes in "long dr_midi_pos();" to "sint32 dr_midi_pos();" after it all compiles successfuly. Original commit changed only w32_midi.cc.

jamespetts