News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

A Interface to read the line managment

Started by NNW, April 16, 2015, 07:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NNW

I give every Bus / Train / Airplane etc. a name and number (Lastzug-1 Lastzug-3.... PZ-2 etc. etc.), to keep track, how many from it runs and in which line they do. I have a calc sheet, which contains the complete Vehicle management. But in a long-term game its sometime hard to keep track on it.
So question:
I don't know if its possible, but i think, a interface for perl or ~ to read out the line management of the current running game will be a nice feature  and make this easier...

gauthier

Keeping such information must be hassle. Why do you need it ? Current line management tools let you see how many vehicles you have on each line. Then, what is the point knowing how much exactly vehicles run in your company ?

NNW

I liked it sorted and some of the Vehicle Names from our Pakset are a little bit looooooong.

wlindley

If Simutrans had some little web service (on a port on localhost) you could make quite a variety of dashboards and other statistics, command-line or through a web browser... that would be quite nifty, all kinds of new graphs and controls, whatever you can code in Perl or Python or whatever.

Ters

Quote from: wlindley on April 21, 2015, 12:48:36 PM
If Simutrans had some little web service (on a port on localhost)

It would also trigger scary little notifications from the local firewall. Those aren't the best things to throw at people trying out a game from some strangers. (I had this issue with some program yesterday. Maybe it bound to the public address as well, although it had no reason to. The alert wasn't more specific than "program is trying to communicate".)

Are there any embeddable web servers that doesn't add a lot of bloat? And that has a compatible license?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

well, opt-in for such a feature would perhaps be better - have to turn it on in settings.

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on April 22, 2015, 11:39:20 AM
well, opt-in for such a feature would perhaps be better - have to turn it on in settings.

Bloat is still bloat, even if you can turn it off. The code is still there, increasing the game's size, and us developers will have to compile it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, okay, then maybe not. In which case we should lock this thread since discussion is moot.

prissi

Well, you can connect with a simutrans client, which can download the whole game state ... you "just" need to hack simutrans and have a client to pull statistics of your choice.