News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Any plan to redesign Simutrans 192.comic UI?

Started by muttala, April 19, 2015, 01:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muttala

Hi,
I am new here, just played Simutrans. While it is nice,  feeling that UI is really way behind and not intuitive compare to  recent title or any commercial title or even  OTTD. Just wonder if there is any consideration for UI improvement? It will capture a lot more players... some suggestions below.

1) While we have lots of technical options in display, could we simple add 1 button for full screen or even screen resolutions
2) right click or click back the tool menu bar button to cancel the window instead of click the top left cross of the window

Isaac Eiland-Hall

This would require updates to the game/GUI engine itself and doesn't have anything to do with pak192, so I'll move it to the right place :)

Ters

While feedback is always welcome, Simutrans' problem isn't that we're lacking in ideas for things to do, but rather people with the time and energy to do them.

Suggestion 1 is a bit difficult, as Simutrans has multiple backends, which all have to be changed, but where few of us, if any, have access to all.
Suggestion 2 should be a lot easier, and an excellent way to get into Simutrans development. (Experienced coders may therefore be reluctant to do these things, as it leaves only complicated things for new coders to try.)

An_dz

But 2 is already present. It has always been there.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on April 20, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
But 2 is already present. It has always been there.

Ah, yes. I overlooked the right part, and thought closing stuff with the primary button was requested. (Or maybe the right mouse button is muttala's primary button.)

sdog

Quote from: muttala on April 19, 2015, 01:07:24 PM
1) While we have lots of technical options in display, could we simple add 1 button for full screen or even screen resolutions
I don't think that ought to be the task of the game but rather remain that of the window managers/desktop environments of the respective operating systems.

Ters

Quote from: sdog on April 20, 2015, 10:10:41 PM
I don't think that ought to be the task of the game but rather remain that of the window managers/desktop environments of the respective operating systems.

Remain? Games (except lesser things like Solitair and Minesweeper) have had this responsability since forever. I have not seen any OSes that allow you to revert to the previous setting either (apart from a timed automatic reset period in case the new settings are unusable). When games change screen resolution, Windows won't rearrange my desktop icons either.