News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Depot naming

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, August 21, 2015, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm currently playing a game where I have a number of depots that I'm keeping open to expand multiple separate sections of my network.

It would be handy to be able to rename my depots so I can more easily track which one is which. :)

wlindley

A "Depot List"" in the List menu would be nice, too.

Ters

We've had these features requested before, I think. I seem to recall there being some problems, but don't remember what. Or maybe just nobody found it useful to implement, or at least useful enough to spend time on it.

Yona-TYT

Search engine in lists, It would also be a good idea.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Ters on August 21, 2015, 09:02:21 PM
We've had these features requested before, I think. I seem to recall there being some problems, but don't remember what. Or maybe just nobody found it useful to implement, or at least useful enough to spend time on it.

Ah, hopefully the latter more than the former. More hope that way. hehe.

Yeah, it's definitely not a huge feature, for sure. :)

Ters

Here is an earlier discussion I found. That time, our dictator had another focus.

A list showing which depots have vehicles, both assembled and disassembled, would be useful for me.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Heh — I absolutely love being able to rename factories. I find it very useful to have a friendly name for destinations for goods/pax :)

Depot naming is very very much less helpful in comparison. I'm glad the factories won :)

Václav

Quote from: Ters on August 22, 2015, 07:24:55 AM
That time, our dictator had another focus.
... but originally it was my idea.  ;D

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

kierongreen

Right - this would be a relatively simple idea to implement, that main stumbling block I can see is the size of the depot window, which is already one of, if not the largest in the game. Are there objections to reformatting the window slightly to avoid any extra height?

Existing layout then mockup of new:

jamespetts

What sort of reformatting had you in mind?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

There is a design principle in Simutrans that all windows should have equal width. It makes it easier to arrange them tightly. The screenshots seems to be of windows wider than the normal width. Or is the default window width pak set size dependent?

jamespetts

Ahh - I think that Simutrans-Experimental widened depot windows ages ago, so I didn't notice.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

I've not altered the width - that's the minimum that's allowed in pak128.Britain, the width is dependent on pak size I think, which is a problem as with 64 size paks there's not enough space to get 3 columns of information across the top section of the window. Ideas?

Ters

Hmm... The dialog isn't as high in pak64, so maybe the solution is to make the number of columns dynamic depending on the width of the window. This applies both to the convoy columns and the vehicle columns.

An_dz

This is much smaller. ;)

Ters

So it does dynamically switch between one and two columns already?

prissi

List of depots is trivial and left for a new contributor. (Liek the lsit of all vehicles types). Strangely they were never finished, despite being really very easy to make. Maybe if I have time next month ...

The drop down overlapping the vehicle selection will not work great.

TurfIt

It's currently fixed at two info columns which fit with pak64 at minimum dialog width. Do note some of the translation strings are quite lengthy - german! - leaving quite a bit of empty space in more concise languages.

For height, the depot dialog currently fits on a 640x480 screen with pak64. Pak128 requires 800x600. It will still fit those screen resolutions after adding a new row for a depot rename textbox, so no problem there...

EDIT: dropdowns don't work at the bottom of a dialog either; End up clipped.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on August 30, 2015, 10:49:38 PM
The drop down overlapping the vehicle selection will not work great.

But there are two drop downs there already, one of which is essential. Or is there some fundamental difference between the row with assembled vehicles and the grid with lose vehicles further down? If so, does it have to be?