News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Tunnels for trams

Started by Václav, October 07, 2015, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I have created two tunnels for pak96.comic's trams. But they don't appear in game.

I don't know if I made some error in dat - or they (tunnels) are (simply) not available for this type of way (trams).

Intro years of both tunnels are 1950 and 2000 - so, in accordance with the most suitable start year of pak96.comic (1955), at least one tunnel should appear. And icons are set correctly too, I hope.

I did a test with track as waytype, and then it runs. So, problem is not in dat file - but in game, itself. So, topic is matter of extension requests, not help request.

I don't know why trams have not own tunnels yet, but I think that it is time for their implementing. If other waytypes (excepting airport ways - taxiways and runways, where it is very logic) may have own tunnels, why not trams?

Building tram tracks through road tunnels is a so strange way.

May it be that it is possible to type those tunnels as if they are for rail tracks, but this is very problematic because it is very dependent on menu setting - where some elements appear in both groups (railways and trams) even if it is clear that should be only in one (railways or trams) or only in railways.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Vladki

Check your menuconfig. I might be that just showing the right icons was omitted.

There are more strange things about trams. Not only tunnels. Pure tram signals are impossible. They show in menu, can be built, but do not work.

I think the concept of distinct waytype tram should be abandoned and tram treated as subtype 7 (like elevated ways, taxiways and fenced), allowing for narrowgauge (or even maglev) trams.

Dwachs

Tram tracks etc are internally treated as railway tracks with a special subtype 7. Trams behave like trains, the obey train signals etc.

It would be possible to implement proper tram tunnels, signals etc. But this is a non-trivial change.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Václav

Quote from: Dwachs on October 08, 2015, 08:34:48 AM
It would be possible to implement proper tram tunnels, signals etc. But this is a non-trivial change.
The most difficult would be signals, because trams use different signals than trains. They know only stop and ride in chosen direction (left, right and straight), at least in my country. May it be that in other countries they use some other signals.

Tunnels (and may be also bridges - but I am not sure, because I will try to prepare bridges after at end) would be a bit easier.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Ters

Quote from: Václav on October 08, 2015, 03:44:23 PM
The most difficult would be signals, because trams use different signals than trains. They know only stop and ride in chosen direction (left, right and straight), at least in my country. May it be that in other countries they use some other signals.

If trams get their own signals, only having directional signals would be problematic (though such things also exists for trains, albeit possibly less compact). Another complicating factor might be that trams can possibly obey many different types of signals, depending on whether they are driving on roads or their own separate track away form any roads.

Vladki

My intent is only to have tram specific design of signals, that is in the proper toolbar, not mixed within normal rail signals.

The behavior would be the same (signal, presignal, longsignal, choose, ...) as for other tracks. Most of these signals do not have their equivalent in real world anyway.